Vet day is over with

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
For Victor that is about as stressful as he can get. He shivers, he drools, his eyes are wide and his pupils full blown. He is breathing so fast you would think he would pass out. It is just amazing to use the calming exercises we have worked so hard on complete with cue words and pressure points to see the rapid breathing slow, the deep breath, the visible relief, the shivering stop. He is still on alert, but the edge is visibly gone. When we moved to the vet's exam room it started up again, but it disappeared just as quickly as soon as I start. It isn't a quick fix by any means, it takes daily practice in the beginning and weekly after that, but if you have a dog that is extremely fearful of something you just have to do, i couldn't give higher praise to what I learned. Ttouch, and the acupressure.

Background for those that are new, I am just guessing at, i don't know for sure. I believe he was kept in a vet's office basement as his "kill" shelter. He was picked up on his last day, that I know for sure, and I know that small town did not have a pound or shelter. It had a police dept, and one vet office. I also believe he was cared for by a heavy set man wearing bib overalls judging by his flat out panic attack when such a dressed man came into the guild one day. Victor is the Walmart door greeter and good will ambassador of the guild. When this man walked into the building, instead of happily approaching him, Victor backed up, and had a total melt down. Same exact reaction he has at the vet's office. The man was a very kind man with dogs of his own, and quite upset that Victor felt that way about him. I explained what i thought and he said he understood. I took Victor up to meet him and he did fine, but you could see he was still very unnerved so I took him to the office until the man left.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
Baxter goes to the vet tomorrow--for some updated vacc's. I can guarantee he will pee on the table -- he always does. I think the smells of the office remind him of not so good times in his past. I feel for poor Victor--just goes to show how powerful emotional memories are!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
MARY hated them, would make a beeline for the door and if people were in her way they would scatter like bowling pins after that last eye surgery. It took three people to hold her down and if you knew Mary you would know just how out of character that was. Victor..you can just tell his mind is far away, it is as if you were not in the room with him at all, and i just feel my heart break to see him that way. THat is why it is such a relief to give the cue words and start the routine and see the whole anxiety ease. I don't know how much of it is the ttouch, or how much of it is what i learned from the Eastern Medicine based Vet that gave the lecture. I did everything exactly the way she said to do it, and for us, i will swear it is well worth it. She said you have to practice. In fact she said something like if you can't get out of the driveway it sure isnt' going to work on the road. Or something like that. I mean it makes sense, if you use the same word while practicing the relaxing daily at home, that in a stressful situation the word will start a relaxing response, at least it makes sense to me and that is what I saw happen today.

Poor Bax, I will be thinking of you!

We got our lyme vaccine, our heart worm meds, and our flea and tick stuff so the woods are ours again..at least for them, now i have to go get some poison to spray me down with. Sighs. My doggies need to run.

bubbatd

Ollie is fine at the vets , but how I wish we knew of past experiences with rescues !

Lolas Dad

Lola will be at the vet next Wednesday. When we get their she can't wait to get out f the truck and get inside. She takes her shots better than I do. She does not cry out or yelp, she just sits their as if nothing happened.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
One lady was watching them and commented about how good they were and then how scared he was. SHe said that brown one now.."she's not bothered by a thing is she...she looks, well ..confident." Pepper really is changing a lot lately. For one is confident stride in her walk and the way she is handling herself in public, but she is also staying much closer to me, more affectionate wiht me, sleeping in Mary's place, walking in Mary's place. Waiting for me instead of charging ahead. I don't know if it is just coincidental or not. I do know I am grateful. She took her shot like a pro, Victor had no problem with the exam or the shot, or the tech either for that matter. It is the place that unnerves him. I don't know if it is a smell or a vibe or what, but it is all vet offices and shelters. Hospitals and nursing homes are no sweat no problem.

I so wish I could have had him from the beginning and he never have to experience any of that at all. I don't know what Pepper's story is, but i never felt that she had been fearful, more fed up with people and with greener fields ahead kind of thing. I think she loved someone once and that she was loved, then something happened and from that point she just learned to escape. THe vet tech leaned down and did that ohhh what a....and got a slurp planted right on the kisser. Sighs...She is all good right up to that second and it's a done deal before you can react. She pops up in the blink of an eye. I didnt' know the vet tech was going to do that or I would have intervened and had her shake instead. This is why she is never going to be a therapy dog. I am at a loss as to how to stop it. SHe doesnt' do it to us anymore..only women when they squeeee and lean her way. sllluuuuurp!

bubbatd

I love those two !!! I've been blessed to have met them and Mary .

Snark

Mutts to you
Poor Victor! I'm glad you're able to calm him.

Riley goes to the vet on Saturday - he's pretty good about it and my vet usually has his dogs there (a Pap and a Chi). The last time, Riley got to play with the Pap after his shots - I had to practically drag him out the door, so hopefully, this will be a good experience as well.

filarotten

Fila the love
Glad the vet visit is over for Victor. Poor guy, good thing you can calm him down.

Brutus is no problem at the vet, he just sheds 10 extra dogs while we are there. Cleo, oh... the pain of it. It takes Keith along to get her to a room. She is good until she sees someone who works there, or we have to go inside. Titus, well, he just snarfs up all the hugs and kisses he gets.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
WEll today is vet day for Mr Shaffer Mom's dog and then I will be all done with this. He is only ultra sensitive to the car so wish us luck we get there. Mom is giving him the car sickness stuff so fingers crossed.

bubbatd

Ollie is due ~~~ I'm trying to co-ordinate shots/grooming and carpet cleaners .

Members online

No members online now.