Show Dog on Craigslist

MayasMom

He is a beautiful dog. Considering the fact that they say they have toddlers and the dog has been in the backyard/basement for a couple of years, it seems like one of those situations where the kids came in and the dog went out. There are two women listed on the kennel website and I emailed both, but one email was returned as undeliverable. Hopefully I will hear back from the other lady.

MayasMom

I just heard back from the breeder. They are trying to get in contact with the person selling the dog. That was what I was hoping for. Hopefully he will get back to the breeder and she can find him a good home.

Bailey08

Oh, weird, they totally changed the first paragraph and took down the show pictures.

"This is Kerwin. He is a 5-year-old Gordon Setter. He was fathered by one of the top Gordon Setters in the country. He is now fixed and very healthy. Current on his shots. He has completed obedience training and has his Canine Good Citizen certificate. He is house trained."

MayasMom

That is really weird. Maybe he wasn't actually one of that kennel's puppies. I hope it's not just that they said, ok sell him on craigslist, but take the kennel name off of him.

Bailey08

That is really weird. Maybe he wasn't actually one of that kennel's puppies. I hope it's not just that they said, ok sell him on craigslist, but take the kennel name off of him.
That's what I was afraid of, too. Hopefully even if the breeder can't take him, she can help get him to a rescue. :(

ACooper

That was my first thought.........hopefully it isn't true :(

Romy

Taxiderpy
Honestly? It's the owner's business where he goes, he's their dog. And if the breeder had some buyback rights or whatever and chose not to exercise them, that's their business too.

Dogs have just as good a shot at finding nice homes through Craigslist as anywhere else. The rescue we worked with in Tucson used craigslist near exclusively, our fosters always got fabulous homes. Just because a lot of people inquiring are morons who don't need a dog, doesn't mean you can't screen and find a good home that way.

I don't know, I just don't see much wrong with this. Especially if the breeder knows and gave them the go ahead, assuming the breeder sold him with buyback rights in the first place.

MayasMom

I don't have a problem with rehoming dogs through Craigslist necessarily. My first concern was making the breeder aware as many of them do have buyback rights, but it's hard for them to enforce them if they don't know what is going on. A lot of rescues in our area use craigslist as well and I think it's a great tool. Rescues have a lot of experience screening for the right home though.

ACooper

Honestly? It's the owner's business where he goes, he's their dog. And if the breeder had some buyback rights or whatever and chose not to exercise them, that's their business too.

Dogs have just as good a shot at finding nice homes through Craigslist as anywhere else. The rescue we worked with in Tucson used craigslist near exclusively, our fosters always got fabulous homes. Just because a lot of people inquiring are morons who don't need a dog, doesn't mean you can't screen and find a good home that way.

I don't know, I just don't see much wrong with this. Especially if the breeder knows and gave them the go ahead, assuming the breeder sold him with buyback rights in the first place.
I don't have ANY issues with using Craig's list to find the dog a good home (or any pet for that matter) I think it is a very nice tool as long as it's used to REHOME and not sell for BYB.

What I found sad is the possibility this breeder couldn't or wouldn't take the dog back. The poster was only asking $50.00 rehoming fee "to the right home" if memory serves so they definitely aren't looking to get their money back or make money, just place the dog with a caring home.

One could also assume the breeder's home would be suitable, so why wouldn't this poster GIVE the dog back and let the breeder rehome with or without a "buy back" contract involved? AGAIN........it seems like perhaps the breeder couldn't/wouldn't and wanted their name removed from the whole issue. If they are doing the right thing, why would they need the kennel name removed from the ad? THAT is what I found sad :(

"Good breeders" are supposed to offer lifetime support for that which they bring into the world purposely.........No?

Xandra

As long as the breeder knows, it's all good, IMO.

I doubt it's a big coverup. All types look at craigslist, not just rational people who understand dogs need to be rehomed sometimes.

If I were the breeder, I wouldn't want everyone knowing that I had a dog on craigslist either. They're probably just worried about their name being dragged through the mud, on the internet, which means it is there forevermore. And we all know that some people on some forums would do that without really thinking about it like we are.

Really, why not avoid that? I'm sure that any serious inquirers will be told of the dog's origins, and nobody else needs to know.

ACooper

Well I see the ad has been removed by the author, so perhaps the breeder wasn't aware they wanted to rehome, and maybe they are taking him back for the owners.

Either way, I hope he will end up in a loving home with no toddlers to annoy him :)

Members online