riplee's ranch

Saje

Island dweller
HOLISTIC ORIGINAL DOG FOOD

INGREDIENTS: Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Steamed Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Rice Bran, Whole Ground Flax Seed, Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Salmon Oil, Natural Chicken Flavours, Chicory Root, Dried Whole Egg, Yucca Schidigera, Glucosamine HCI, Chondroitin Sulfate, Marigold Extract, L-Carnitine Supplement, Kelp, Carrots, Spinach, Tomatoes, Apples, Green Tea, Ginseng, Sea Salt, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Lysine, Vitamin A Supplement, DL Alpha-Tocopherol, Acetate (Vitamin E), Methionine, Vitamin D3 Supplement, *Iron Bioplexâ„¢, *Zinc Bioplexâ„¢, *Maganese Bioplexâ„¢, Biotin, *Copper Bioplexâ„¢, Niacin, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin K Supplement, Pyridoxine, Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin B12, Iodine Protienate, Folic Acid, *Chelated Mineral

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS: Crude Protein (min.) 27.0%, Crude Fat (min) 14.0%, Crude Fiber (max) 2.5%, Moisture (max.) 10.0%, Linoleic Acid (Omega 6) (min.) 2.0%, Calcium (min.) 1.2%, Phosphorus (min.) 1.1%, *Linolenic Acid (Omega3) (min.) 0.4%
http://www.dogsbreakfast.ca/Ingredients.htm

thoughts?

borzoimom

Couch Pototoe City
I did not get very far with it before I had a problem with it. I like meat not meat meal and that is the first ingredient Then followed by grains. ..

Saje

Island dweller
Where did you buy it BM? It's a local food so I'm curious how you found it.

Well it's not being sold as a grain-free formula. And meat meal? Why would have a problem with that? Seems to me all meat is meat meal so it can be put into kibble form. Well I have no problem with the chicken meal.

I'm wondering about the long list of 'extras.'

borzoimom

Couch Pototoe City
Where did you buy it BM? It's a local food so I'm curious how you found it.

Well it's not being sold as a grain-free formula. And meat meal? Why would have a problem with that? Seems to me all meat is meat meal so it can be put into kibble form. Well I have no problem with the chicken meal.

I'm wondering about the long list of 'extras.'
I have not found it.. I was looking at the ingredients posted. As I said " I did not have to look far" into it.. ;)
Meat "meals" are faulted for several reasons. While its a long debate, choosing a food for my dogs, if not feeding raw, I would avoid any product that had a " meal. " Of course still not as bad as " biproduct".
http://iml.jou.ufl.edu/projects/Spring04/Perhach/PetFood/Ingredients.htm
Several times I have read some good articles on evaulating pet foods. In most of them number one not having a defined meat ( and only meat) as ingredient one, and two- the use of grains as the second listing of ingredients is not a good rating.
( keep in mind- I feed raw and have since 1984 therefore I am highly suspect of most dog foods.. Actually only two I like.. )

Saje

Island dweller
Where on that site does it say anything about chicken meal being bad? And WHY would it be bad. I understand you like feeding raw but ground up meat is not bad.

Saje

Island dweller
Chicken is chicken. It says chicken meal. Not "Meat meal." If it said "chicken" you wouldn't know what part of the chicken came from but you'd know it was chicken. Same as chicken meal. Just ground... for kibble.

borzoimom

Couch Pototoe City
But chicken meal is still chicken meal. And I am sure while some support the use of " meal" verses " meat" - there are just as many that disagree that "meal" is as good as meat. Its been a long debate.. ( and please remember- I am biased against kibble food.. It would have to be really good for me not to raise an eyebrow..)

Saje

Island dweller
<sigh> Chicken meal IS chicken meat. It's just processed differently. It's meat that has been ground. STILL CHICKEN.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
The chicken meal doesn't bother me. That's ground up meat and bone. It's not by-product meal, so it's fine.

The Vitamin K bothers me though.

Saje

Island dweller
The chicken meal doesn't bother me. That's ground up meat and bone. It's not by-product meal, so it's fine.

The Vitamin K bothers me though.
Yeah it should say which kind it is.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Chicken Meal, according to many accredited nutritionists (like Mordy!) is in fact preferable over "Chicken". It's simply the "Chicken" with moisture removed before hand, which means "Chicken Meal" contains muc more real chicken content, rather than useless moisture, considering that "Chicken" is 80% moisture.

I don't see any huge red flags with this food, but I'm not a huge fan of the single protein source followed by LOTS of grains: Brown Rice, Steamed Oatmeal, Rice Bran, Whole Ground Flax Seed.... that is quite a heaping helping of grains. If all of these grains were combined, I'm pretty sure that they would out-weigh the single "Chicken Meal". However, that's pretty much my only concern. How much does this food cost?

Saje

Island dweller
It`s expensive. About 60 a bag I believe. I`m not thinking of feeding it. Just curious since I`d never heard of it before and it`s local.

ACooper

We have a local one around here too, Looks really good as far as ingredients (it only has a handful of ingredients in it) and they even make/offer herbal remedies. I would love to give it a try but I just think it's too expensive............

Burns if any of you have ever heard of it....... LINKY

Very close to my house :D

Dekka

Just try me..
Chicken meal is better than just 'chicken'. Chicken meal is the dried good stuff. Due to the amount of water in fresh meat the proportion of meat to other ingreds is low when it is just meat. (unless there are a few at the start)

Foods like proplan start off with meat. But as its fresh its very high in water. If they dried it first then put it in the ingred list it would be way down below the grains.

gale

From what I understand, even if a list says chicken, it still ends up being chicken meal by the time they dry it and grind it to put it in the kibble. So chicken = chicken meal plus water.

Members online

No members online now.