Getting a new puppy any tips for me?

wdunn

will be getting one puppy within a month and i was wondering if there was anything i would definatly NEED to know and do. i just want to make sure my puppy is safe and happy and overall a great companian?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Lizzybeth had a great post in your other thread about things you need to do. :) Just take out the "double" part. Socialization is PARAMOUNT...schedual a fun visit to the vet's office at least once a week for while, just to go in, step on the scale, get petted and a treat or three. This will make the vet's a fun place instead of a cause for freaking out.

Otherwise, read up as much as you can about potty- and crate-training, obedience training (we're big on positive methods, such as clicker training) and good chew toys. Puppies are stressful but fun!

lizzybeth727

Advice? Here goes:

First, as I said you're on the right track coming here to chaz, now be sure to read all the stickies and many other posts. And continue to ask questions. There are a lot of really great dog people on this forum, we will all be happy to keep helping you.

Second, read books! Start with "Outwitting Dogs" by Terry Ryan. Also "Before You Get Your Puppy" by Ian Dunbar (check out http://www.jamesandkenneth.com/new_puppy.html). Then "The Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson. There are many other books (and many threads devoted just to training books on chaz), but I think these are the most important ones to read before you get your puppy. They're easy to find, too, many libraries have them and almost all big bookstores have them.

Third, find a trainer. No, it's not too early to find the right class for you. Like I said before, socialization is very important for puppies, and taking them to puppy class is a great way to get some socialization. A good trainer is also an extremely valuable resource for information about your dog. Of course you can ask us questions here, but without actually meeting your puppy and/or seeing what he's doing that you're having trouble with, we can't fully help you in a few areas. Anyway, check out www.apdt.com, there's a trainer search as well as a great article about what to look for when you're looking for a trainer. Most trainers will invite puppies 10 weeks or older into their classes, so you won't have long to wait for your class to start once you get your puppy!

Fourth, go ahead and buy all of your supplies before you get your puppy. I used to work in a pet store, and you'd be surprised at how many people walk in and say, "I just got this puppy an hour ago, what do I need to get for him??" The LAST thing your puppy wants to do the day that you take him home is to spend an hour or more at a pet store, then sit through all the confusion back at home about where to put all his stuff. It's so much less stressful for the both of you to go ahead and have everything ready so that you can bring him right home and let him start to settle in. Things you will need: Crate, food/water bowls, food (same exact food as the breeder feeds, if you buy from a breeder), Nature's Miracle cleaner, toys, natural bone(s) to chew on, training treats, clicker, collar/harness, leash, ID tag for collar, and anything else chaz members or your trainer suggest.

Finally, be sure to read the posts here about where to get your puppy. I checked www.petfinder.com - they have 18,277 labs and 3,622 rotweilers listed for adoption, so I highly suggest adopting your dog. Which is another thing your trainer can help you with!

That's all I have for now, good luck and let us know if you have any more questions!

My choice for a book is, like said above, Ian Dunbar's book: Before and After Getting Your New Puppy. It's excellent and easy to read.

Second, always remember that your pup is a baby, a blank slate. He will learn from everything you do. Be patient and consistent. Think ahead about your house rules and have the family be consistent.

Socialization is of utmost importance, with people, other dogs, and locations - after the vaccinations. Playing with other pups is a must if you want a sociable pet. Vaccinated puppies can come to your house before your pup is vaccinated. Then gradually and gently introduce your pup to sights, sounds, different flooring and ground surfaces. Here is a partial check-off list for socialization:
http://loveyourdog.com/fieldtrips.html.

Congratulations on your impending puppyhood. It's a wonderful and rewarding experience! Jan

Sch3Dana

Workin' Dog
Lizzybeth covered a lot of territory. Here are a few more tips:

I would do a little research on modified vaccine protocols- many now believe that we are over-vaccinating our pups. You should know what you think of this and talk to your vet about it before getting your pup.

Have you selected a breeder or rescue where you will get your dog? I would strongly recommend an older rescue dog- there are so many that need homes and they are so much easier than puppies! If you are set on a puppy, have you made sure to find a responsible breeder? Make sure you do your research about breeds and breeders before you commit 10-15 years of your life to a dog.

Read everything you can about training. This site is a great place for recommendations. I really like Brian Kilcommon's book, Good Owners, Great Dogs, though it's too stingy on food rewards for my taste. Still, the book covers so many things that are not covered in most books, and the format is really easy and fun to read- check it out.

You should also format a housebreaking plan for you new pup- before you bring him home. Will you do paper training? Outdoor potty training? Crate training or exercise pen or doggy door? Lots of options. Read more about the options here:

http://www.thehousebreakingbible.com/training/choosing-plan.htm

bubbatd

I suggest getting the book " How To Raise A Puppy You Can Live With " ....Everyone who plan to get a pup shuld read it before getting a puppy .

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
I suggest getting the book " How To Raise A Puppy You Can Live With " ....Everyone who plan to get a pup shuld read it before getting a puppy .
LOL Grammy. I seen the title and that you replied. Some how I knew this would be your reply. Good book tho.

Boemy

Get your puppy from a good breeder or an animal shelter, avoid bad breeders and ESPECIALLY avoid PET SHOPS!

Maxy24

Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
I heard this book recommends some old fashioned methods such as scruffing and alpha rolling as punishment. I wasn't sure if it was true though, anyone know?

Members online

No members online now.