More Humane Society *Pics*

T

tessa_s212

We got in 9 dogs today. Seven new adult dogs, and one of those adults had two five week old puppies with them.

T

tessa_s212

This guy was new a few days ago. He is 6 months old. Probably some kind of husky/shep mix.

T

tessa_s212

These two have their own story.

A man just dropped them off today. No collars, no leashes, no names. The one escapes from the back of the truck when he goes to pull it out, so we get about 8 or more of us out there, but not before I witness three of the actual workers chasing the dog around everywhere. So, I get out there and take control. I ordered everyone to get in a biiig wide circle where the dog was running around, and attempted to get them all to walk back and forth in a circle-y type way to keep him in the circle as we closed in so that I could inch my way in and carefully grab him. Well, the man that brought him was stupid and did not listen to my directions. Just as we almost had him, he went charging after him, chased him into a fence, which right next to it had a HUGE mud/horse poop puddle. (Fence belonged to a horse field thingy.) Well, the man LUNGED at him, grabbing his neck. The dog was so terrified it rolled right over on its back... in the mudd and horse poop. I immediately say soft, yet still very angrily and calmy at the man to DONT DO THAT, carefully grabbed the dog, put the loop lead around its neck, and tried to get it to come with me. It wouldn't. So then the man proceeds to grab the dog by the skin on its neck and back and try to lift it up that way. I again have to growl at him to stop that. He puts the dog down, I grab it all up into my arms, and get it the hell away from that man. And yes, by this time my entire pants to my ankles or so were soaked in mud, and because the dog was covered in mud and horse poop, my entire coat, hands, and front of my jeans also had it all over. Poor, poor dog. She was too scared to give a bath today, but I did try my best to wipe what I could off. I did a pretty good job.. but she needs a bath. :(

And when this was all said and done.. Tim, a guy that works there, got his truck stuck in the mud in the yard in front of the Humane Society. So.. we gathered up everyone and was trying to get it out. This other guy had us putting boards under the back tire, but he didn't think to put it in the front. We are pushing and rocking the truck to get it out.. well, the back gets out.. but because we didnt' put boards under the front, the front end was now stuck!!! Ya.. so at least now I know how to get a truck out of mud without getting it stuck even worse. Oh, might I also add that I was pushing right behind one of the tires.. so I again got more muddy.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tessa_s212

And, the last picutres I have...

Momma and puppies! These guys had been living in a barn. They reek of it. At least they weren't starved. Momma AND puppies are very much overweight.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Those faces. . .they truly melt me.
I am literally getting restless wanting to turn 15. . .I have to wait until May when I do before I can volunteer at my local shelter.
Great pics. . .all of the dogs are beautiful. . .I hope they each their loving home soon.
I don't get that man. I wonder where they came from and why he was dumping them like that.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Aww that second dog is so cute! Love it's face! And those puppies! Adorable! :D

You're right, that second to last dog needs a bath :( poor guy!

T

tessa_s212

I don't get that man. I wonder where they came from and why he was dumping them like that.
Right? How a person can have two dogs for 6 months and never even name them is beyond me. They've also never been on a leash before.

T

tessa_s212

Oh, and I guess I will also update on one more thing.

Yesterday when we came in one of the staff members said to my sister and I, "Are you the two that train dogs?"
"Yes," I said.
She continued, "Can you work with some of the dogs? "

She went on to say that some of hte dogs wouldn't go out easily on a leash, drag you, and one was really shy and needed work. (Hehe.. I was already well aware of this adn working with many of hte dogs she'd just told me to work with, but I was ECSTATIC to actually have her ask me to train the dogs.)

I had actually planned on specifically asking to have permission to train the dogs in obedience and all that stuff. I'd been doing it whenever I handled them before, but I didn't have a time slot in which I really could train. Now I do. And I didn't even have to ask, they wanted me to!

So, with that, I'd trained two dogs to sit, Sammy(dog from previous thread) learned to down on command, and another dog Balto is learning sit and to not be so hyper and jump on people.

After this upcoming week I have spring break. I'm going to ride my bike the 18 miles there every day during spring break to go to the humane society and train dogs. It is going to be doggy bootcamp, but a fun one! :D

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
That's so cool you're training them. Another way to make homes for them more likely.

T

tessa_s212

good job with catching that dog. no wonder it was scared.

awesome dogs
Man, if I knew it wouldn't have made the dog more scared I would have just been completely frustrated. Before we had the entire large group(when it was only a few of us) I almost had her there. She wasn't completely scared and shy.. she was sticking around and woudl come within three feet of people. So I just got as close as I could, and then starting jogging away making all sorts of weird sounds. She jogged after me and came within a foot of me . I could have gotten her, but a staff member went to grab her and she ran away again. *sigh*.. Lol.. made for an interesting day though, gotta give it taht.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Aww there are all beauties :)

Grrr....that man...Grrr...I am livid from JUST reading it! :mad: :mad: I could ring his neck! :mad:

Members online