The screaming

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Mia was doing a lot better about her tendency to shriek when I let her outside since I moved. It seemed to be tied to a specific tree in my dad's yard that often has squirrels in it. She would still scream at my dad's house when we let her outside but wouldn't here.

Well, a few weeks ago there was a squirrel in our tree in our yard. Since then, the shrieking is back. She SCREAMS out the door, runs to the tree and starts biting the tree. Same thing she did to the other 'squirrel tree'.

Tonight was particularly embarrassing because my neighbors behind me were having a party and I let the dogs out and Mia was the loudest she'd ever been. It doesn't last long, just a few seconds but of course I hear people going, 'what the **** is that noise?' 'Oh my god, that's awful!' I'm trying to apologize over the fence and at the same time tell Mia to shut it.

Bottom line is out at my dad's it wasn't a big deal because of the lack of neighbors but now it is.

I've tried a few things. 1. Restrain her physically until she's outside then put her down and hope she forgets to go attack the tree. that doesn't work, just riles her up more.

2. Train her to not go out the door before me. Doesn't work, because asking for a stay from Mia guarantees you'll end up with a shrieking fool once she's released. Once again seems to amp her up more.

3. Wait inside till she's calm to let her out. She frustrates and amps up more often than not. I think this might work if it's done a little more systematically but it is HARD to follow through sometimes because waiting her out usually makes it worse before it gets better.

She's just not a very calm thinking dog when she's worked up. And she works up at the drop of a hat. I swear if she sees something little and fuzzy ONCE somewhere, she never forgets. She still will go screaming to the spare room and go to scratching the walls if you say the word 'mouse'. She's seen a mouse ONCE. I said the word a couple times while on the phone during the mouse episode.

Last edited:

Kilter

What if you got a squirrel toy and put it at the base of the tree for her to find and 'kill'? Not quite the same but still. Then move it a few feet away, then make it a game of 'find the squirrel' so she's quiet and looking for it?

I feel your pain though, Storee is the dog that sees and knows all. I'd toss a rock (they look like balls you know, must double check) into the bushes and walk away (out of sight helped her to be able to walk away), and go to the same park a month later and she'd dive into those same bushes if she got a chance.

Dogs6

Plus One
What about bringing her outside on a leash and as soon as she starts to scream bringing her straight back inside. That way she'll learn that screaming gets her nowhere.

Aura will occasionally do something similar when she's let outside and I hated it! Expecialoy when it was late at night. That seems to have worked for her.

FG167

Eden does this!

Does she like food? Go out and toss a few pieces around for her to find and burn off some running/energy. Or have her carry a toy out and around?

adojrts

What about bringing her outside on a leash and as soon as she starts to scream bringing her straight back inside. That way she'll learn that screaming gets her nowhere.

Aura will occasionally do something similar when she's let outside and I hated it! Expecialoy when it was late at night. That seems to have worked for her.
Ryan is on the right track imo. Rules would be simple, scream, pitch a fit and the door doesn't open, you take you hand off the door and/or walk away or it shuts the second she starts up (shut the door quickly/hands off it). Second I would have her on leash, quiet is allowed to move forward, screaming results in what she doesn't want, further from the tree and/or inside. Quiet gets her what she wants, Premack to the hilt.
As for the neighbors, approach them before the sessions start. Explain that you will be working to resolve this but it could get a little or a lot noisy, esp for those first couple of sessions. Ask them when is the best time for you to do this and offer them ear plugs (not kidding). :) You have to be black and white on this and consistant, otherwise it wont work.

Members online

No members online now.