Daddy the pitbull passes the torch

Dekka

Just try me..
Daddy is a "pit bull", but by no means is he a true American Pit Bull Terrier. He's an American Bully with truly who knows what breeds in his genetic makeup as AmBullies are mixed breed dogs that can include, but not solely include, the APBT, AST, English Bulldog, Dogue de Bordeaux, Neo Mastiff, American Bulldog and whatever else the breed-for-looks people want to throw into the mix.

What HAS Ceasar done for "pit bulls" besides shoving it down people's throats that you can indeed train the dog aggression out of these dogs? The day I train the DA out of Tar Baby will be the day I train his white coat color off of him as well. Or maybe I should train his black nose color off while I'm at it.

Doing a little bit of good accompanied by a large amount of harm and spewing loads of misinformation doesn't equate to doing right by these dogs. We need people to educate and be educated truthfully.....not be told of rainbows and unicorns.
And there was the whole episode where he let a dog fight happen between two pit bull types. Either he is truly clueless or he let that happen for the ratings.

Daddy is nice and his owner doesn't take anything away from that. BUT even all of Daddy's goodness hasn't made up for the 'bad' that CM has done for PB and dogs in general.

Pyxel

I really hope the wrath of Cesar wasn't used on those poor Pugs. They're very emotional dogs and some are so bad that if you even look at them angry they'll break down! They're one type of dog you need to use pretty much 100% positive training with.

What was the episode called? I wanna look it up.
The episode was called Bella, Rocky and Madison & Catalina.

Here's a video of Daddy

YouTube - Who's Your Daddy?

and Junior

YouTube - Cesar Millan Puppy Profiles: Junior

Amstaffer

I don't get some of the CM venom here. Are some of his "Training" ideas messed up...sure. But the guy portrays some pit bulls as affectionate, stable and friendly dogs (which many are) and yet you guys condemn him for that?? I hear all the anti-BSL stuff here and the one person who has given the most positive PR buzz for Pitties is still bad or an idiot??

I have repeatedly heard him say that Pit Bulls are a strong breed that need special consideration and handling. I have never heard him say they are single coated Labradors.

Is it that you hate anything he says regardless of what it is? Or are you so fickled that Pit Bulls can only be defined by you and any portrayal of them besides of how you view them is wrong.

The reality is that how he shows the breed is very real. Maybe not for your dogs or you buddy's dog around the way but there are a lot of Pit Bulls out there who have very similar temperaments of Daddy and Junior. He never says that all Pit Bulls are like Daddy actually quite the opposite he seems to say the contrary much of the time.

Of course, I'll be labeled as a CM lover (which I am not) or simply naive by the "True Pit Bull" people but I hope the more open minded folks will hear my message.

Athena was very much like Daddy in temperament. Sal is pretty close to that but just more silly.

Dekka

Just try me..
Amstaffer, how can you condone a man who put a pittie in the situation where she felt the need to fight other dogs (it was very obvious what was going to happen even before it did) and didn't have a break stick in sight? I am sure it was done for the ratings, as I don't think CM is that clueless about dog body language!

The fact that the owners were crating and rotating just fine, but he told them their dog was too 'bad' for them and offered to trade them one of his dogs?

How is that at all good for bully breeds?

Amstaffer

Amstaffer, how can you condone a man who put a pittie in the situation where she felt the need to fight other dogs (it was very obvious what was going to happen even before it did) and didn't have a break stick in sight? I am sure it was done for the ratings, as I don't think CM is that clueless about dog body language!

The fact that the owners were crating and rotating just fine, but he told them their dog was too 'bad' for them and offered to trade them one of his dogs?

How is that at all good for bully breeds?
I didn't see the episode you speak of...but as I said I am not crazy about some of the stuff he does but I have spoken to people who thought all Pit Bulls are born to kill and after seeing CM and Daddy interact with Oprah's dogs they were convinced that at least some are good dogs. He has at least planted the seeds of doubt in the Pit Bull Hating world.

More and more people I talk to are starting to mention CM as changing how they view Pit Bulls. To me that is a positive that I will acknowledge regardless of what else he has done. He even had one episode where he took a lady (a Pitbullaphob) to his center and showed her a bunch of his Pit Bulls and convinced her that Pit Bulls can be stable, loving companions.

The idea of "its not the dog its the owner" is becoming much more part of the conventional wisdom. That is all I ever wanted and I think CM has played a substantial role in that. The power of the media can be a two edged sword both good and evil.

Dekka

Just try me..
See and I have met people who say even CM can't control some of those viscous dogs.... And if you get one you MUST alpha roll and dominate the Pit bull or it will revert to its 'normal aggressive state'..

I can't find the vid right now.. if someone else knows where it is PM it to me please.

elegy

overdogged
I don't get some of the CM venom here. Are some of his "Training" ideas messed up...sure. But the guy portrays some pit bulls as affectionate, stable and friendly dogs (which many are) and yet you guys condemn him for that?? I hear all the anti-BSL stuff here and the one person who has given the most positive PR buzz for Pitties is still bad or an idiot??
and he also portrays dog aggression as something you can train (and i use that word loosely) out of a dog, which is incorrect and dangerous both to other dogs and to pit bulls themselves. and i'm sorry but that's not something i can overlook.

i'm glad your bullies have been stone cold. life with harv, who was also cold, was certainly easier than life with two sparky dogs. but most of the pit bulls i have met are not cold, and most of the pit bulls i have met require management and common sense. not rolling on their backs until they submit to other dogs. just... management.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
I just watched a bit of his show. 2 SHOCK COLLARS on a dog on the treadmill. Whats the point of the treadmill?

Miakoda

I didn't see the episode you speak of...but as I said I am not crazy about some of the stuff he does but I have spoken to people who thought all Pit Bulls are born to kill and after seeing CM and Daddy interact with Oprah's dogs they were convinced that at least some are good dogs. He has at least planted the seeds of doubt in the Pit Bull Hating world.

So you are ok with a few "little white lies" being told about "pit bulls" all so the general public will like them and possibly even want to run out and buy one of their very own? You think it's ok to say that DA is just some made up mumbo jumbo and if you are "alpha", your dogs will be perfect and get along in a dog pack all hunky dory?

See, I'm different. I believe that education is what will save these dogs, not purposeful misinformation. At that needs to begin with explaining what a "pit bull" is and what it is not. Daddy may be a generic "pit bull", but he sure as hell isn't an APBT. And DA needs to be explained as well as tips given on how to manage it. DA is no big deal. It's easily manageable. The only people who have a problem with it is those who are ignorant and think DA equals "mauls children" and those who refuse to accept that they cannot let all 10 of their dogs roam loose together 24/7. Those who refuse to acknowledge and/or accept DA are chosing to be irresponsible and willfully ignorant.

More and more people I talk to are starting to mention CM as changing how they view Pit Bulls.

And more and more people are putting their "pit bulls" in a position to fail such as taking them to dog parks or leaving them loose with other dogs unsupervised and then people like me have to hear the "But they've never done that before!" boo-hooing as we either stitch up their dog, stitch up the other dog that was the victim, or tell the owner about our cremation/burial services.

And more and more people think they need to yell and be "assertive" with their dogs and other peoples' dogs as well because that how you get a dog to respect and obey.

To me that is a positive that I will acknowledge regardless of what else he has done.

We just differ. I don't acknowledge lies and misinformation as positive to these dogs. I don't ride a unicorn to work nor do I live under a rainbow either.

He even had one episode where he took a lady (a Pitbullaphob) to his center and showed her a bunch of his Pit Bulls and convinced her that Pit Bulls can be stable, loving companions.

Oh yes, I remember that episode. The one where he had her come into the pack only to have a few "pit bulls" get into a scuffle while she cowered in fear. Even after all his BS talk, it was still quite obvious that not only did she not believe him, but that she had since seen how these dogs are in person. He put those dogs in a position to fail and because of it, I bet she's busy badmouthing "pit bulls" to anyone that will listen. It didn't appear to me that she looked like she bought anything he was trying to sell our about "pit bulls".

The idea of "its not the dog its the owner" is becoming much more part of the conventional wisdom.

And yet bad dogs DO exist. Bybreeding has produced unstable dogs and dogs with ****-poor temperaments. Period. To allow bleeding hearts to make excuses for these animals and spout the same old "It's all in how you raise them", we will continue to allow people to be bitten/attacked/injured by these dogs and we will continue to put these dogs in positions where they will injure another dog. Irresponsible owners almost seem to be the majority these days, but that group includes the bleeding hearts and the naive and the willfully ignorant. And sadly, they are the ones who are owning these unstable dogs and/or the dogs with sub-par temperaments that are doing all the damage.

That is all I ever wanted

I personally want the truth to be told and for people to see our dogs how they really are: loving, stable family members who love to be with their people while they may or may not like to be or can be around other dogs. I want people to understand where they came from and HOW that history made them into the dogs they are today. I want people to understand how bybs and the "I bred my dogs because they are sooooo nice and pretty!" people are ruining the breeds and subsequently the temperaments of some dogs.

And I want my grandkids to own American Pit Bull Terriers and not some horrific cross-bred monstrosity touted as a "pit bull".

and I think CM has played a substantial role in that. The power of the media can be a two edged sword both good and evil.

Well, CM is controlling his media exposure. We see and hear only what he wants us to see and hear. So how is that the "truth"?
My replies in red.

Amstaffer

So to sum it up....anyone who thinks Pit Bulls can be normal dogs is riding unicorns? For a dog to be a real APBT they have to be DA and can't be trusted around other dogs?

Well I know different. Some Pit Bulls (and yes APBTs) can be trustworthy around everything...are all of them? No of course not. I don't think he ever says that.

Its clear that some people hate him intensely and regardless of what he does it will be bad. He could invent the cure to cancer and you would be writing about all the poor cancer cells that would be dying.

I want good press for my dogs. Sal and many like him are wonderfully friendly dogs. There are plenty of people who are telling everyone that Pit Bulls are child killing slaughter monsters and if someone is pointing out that some aren't then I'll applaud that regardless of who it is.

Dekka

Just try me..
I can't speak for others. But I don't hate him. I do think he cares about dogs. I HAVE heard so many pit bull haters refer to him, saying you need to be a pro like him to own them, so it is a good thing they are banned.

I did see the episode where he lets a very agitated pit bull with a history of dog aggression start a fight with other dogs. He wasn't prepared to break up the fight either.

Those things have nothing to do with what I think of his training methods.

Amstaffer

I can't speak for others. But I don't hate him. I do think he cares about dogs. I HAVE heard so many pit bull haters refer to him, saying you need to be a pro like him to own them, so it is a good thing they are banned.

I did see the episode where he lets a very agitated pit bull with a history of dog aggression start a fight with other dogs. He wasn't prepared to break up the fight either.

Those things have nothing to do with what I think of his training methods.
I never said he wasn't a dipsh#t :p

Jynx

I met the nicest friendliest pit bull today in Petsmart..(I am not a breed racist to begin with),,,If this boy was loose on the streets, I'm sure someone would think he was a menace or fighting dog.

Why? He was pretty darn large, built like a brick house, not very clean looking, however, his wagging tail showed his true colors:))...I admit it, I attract 'dogs',,and this boy was pulling his owner for me to pet him, of course i obliged:)))

I felt kinda of sad for both him and his owner who'd looked liked they had seen better days..:((( but it was nice to see such a friendly pit having a great day shopping at petsmart :)))

Miakoda

Oh yes, Amstaff. I expect all true APBTs to vicious, out-of-control puppy and kitty eaters.

Seriously, it's amazing how you pick and choose the words in a post, rearrange them, and decide that's what you want to get out of it.

What's frightening is your "it's all in how you raise them" and "if you're dog is DA, you're not a good trainer now are you?" mentality.

You supposedly love a breed of dog you think needs to be changed and overhauled. That's not love....not even the loosest definition of the word.

As far as good press, that's all I put out there for these dogs. I find your under-the-table accusations and assumptions quite laughable at times because you deem people like me to be the ones who love the horrific image that "pit bulls" have and only people like you care.

Amstaffer

Oh yes, Amstaff. I expect all true APBTs to vicious, out-of-control puppy and kitty eaters.

Seriously, it's amazing how you pick and choose the words in a post, rearrange them, and decide that's what you want to get out of it.

What's frightening is your "it's all in how you raise them" and "if you're dog is DA, you're not a good trainer now are you?" mentality.

You supposedly love a breed of dog you think needs to be changed and overhauled. That's not love....not even the loosest definition of the word.

As far as good press, that's all I put out there for these dogs. I find your under-the-table accusations and assumptions quite laughable at times because you deem people like me to be the ones who love the horrific image that "pit bulls" have and only people like you care.
Wow....I think someone is projecting a lot of their past experiences and interactions on me.

I never said if your dog is DA that you are a bad trainer or even a bad dog owner. Not sure where you got that from....I do think that people can take DA dogs and train them to be controllable and functional is a modern day society. Can you take them to the dog park off leash...of course not.

because you deem people like me to be the ones who love the horrific image that "pit bulls" have and only people like you care.
Not sure were you get that, I think the idiots who use them as four legged bling and penis extensions are the problem. I do however have a problem with the idea that anyone who believes that Pit Bulls are anything outside of your view of them is naive or a "Breed Trader". I don't think you are "The Problem" but I do think your view of the Pit Bull is narrow and limited. Whether you like it or not your idea of what the "pit bull" is, is not all encompassing.

Shiba Rawr

I love Daddy.~♥ And I love Cesar and his work. The day that Daddy goes to the bridge will be a sad day, at least for me.

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
I love Daddy.~♥ And I love Cesar and his work. The day that Daddy goes to the bridge will be a sad day, at least for me.
Oh dear lord! I hope that you spend some time educating yourself of positive training. Please read The Power of Positive Training by Pat Miller. Please please please!

Gguevara

Oh dear lord! I hope that you spend some time educating yourself of positive training. Please read The Power of Positive Training by Pat Miller. Please please please!
Assuming someone is uneducated simply because they like Cesar Millan is a little insolent.

---

Do some of you really think Cesar Millan sugarcoats Pit bulls? He refers to them as one of the "power" breeds and gladiators, come on.

---

I'm all for positive training but you can't deny the number of dogs Millan has helped. I hope one day he decides to change his methods, but he has helped a lot of people and dogs and it's not right to condemn the man just because he uses some older techniques. I believe he genuinely loves dogs and wants to help them, he just uses different methods then some of you.
Seriously, people act like he's the anti-Christ of the dog world or something.

Pyxel

Although I don't agree with some of Cesar's methods I do think he genuinely loves dogs and after watching many episodes of the Dog Whisperer, I think he has some good skills as well. I like seeing him interact with his pack, especially when he is throwing the ball for a load of them to chase, or when they are jumping in his pool enjoying themselves.

And as for the pitbulls, should he stop showing them on camera? As Gguerava said, he doesn't sugercoat them and refers to them (and other breeds such as rottweilers) as power breeds. What do you all suggest he does instead then?

Members online

No members online now.