George the.....?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Jack Russell Terrier. :rolleyes: At least according to the shelter my cousin adopted him from when he was a puppy.

What do you think? JRT or not? ;) Sorry these are the only pics I have and they're from my phone which is really crappy.

With Em (I swear his tail goes 90 miles an hour all the time):

With my cousin:

Anyways, he's a happy 3 year old. He is fabulous with my cousin's little girl. He's strong and kind of just a big goof. He's just happy happy happy all the time. I love him.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Clearly a Giant JRT. Yup, it's a relatively new breed. Dekka and Ado will be jealous. :p

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Lol! I shall tell him he really is a Jack Russell then, just a giant one. :p

Was he 8 weeks old when they decided that?
I think they got him at about 6 weeks from the shelter and the shelter told them he was a 3-4 month old JRT puppy.

My cousin didn't think so but they said he'd be a small dog at about 20 lbs. Anyways, my cousin isn't the most breed savvy person but he knew George wasn't a JRT when he just kept growing.

Pit bulls and the like were banned and have been banned a long while in their city. So the thought is the shelter knew the litter was pit mixes but labeled them as JRTs to get around the ban. They called George a boxer mix for years (and he might really have some boxer in him, who knows). They recently moved to rural Tennessee though where pits are not banned.

I thought it was an interesting guess by the shelter though. I'm going to assume it was because the whole litter was tan and white, lol!

pacopoe

Wow... just, wow.

I understand getting around BSL but i always wonder if the shelters are doing the dog any favors when they lie about the breed (unless they really, really thought they were JRTs). True, this time it turned out well, but imagine if the adopters weren't so cool and decided to return the dog after he hit 30 lbs. My friend was working once when these people came in to surrender their English Bulldog to the SFACC because it was 8 years old and the breeder that sold them the dog said it would only live to be 4, "and we've given him twice that already," they said. Once again proving that people can be idiots.

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
I think the problem here was a high protein "growth" diet ... they clearly overfed him and he outgrew his "normal" size expectations. lol

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
My friend was working once when these people came in to surrender their English Bulldog to the SFACC because it was 8 years old and the breeder that sold them the dog said it would only live to be 4, "and we've given him twice that already," they said. Once again proving that people can be idiots.
Wow. Just wow.

:yikes:

I think the problem here was a high protein "growth" diet ... they clearly overfed him and he outgrew his "normal" size expectations. lol
:rofl1:

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Wow... just, wow.

I understand getting around BSL but i always wonder if the shelters are doing the dog any favors when they lie about the breed (unless they really, really thought they were JRTs). True, this time it turned out well, but imagine if the adopters weren't so cool and decided to return the dog after he hit 30 lbs. My friend was working once when these people came in to surrender their English Bulldog to the SFACC because it was 8 years old and the breeder that sold them the dog said it would only live to be 4, "and we've given him twice that already," they said. Once again proving that people can be idiots.
Yeah, it's one of those lucky happy endings thankfully. I don't think shelters are doing any favors by fibbing. Particularly in places where pits are illegal. My cousin just wanted to save a dog (which he certainly did) but of course wasn't going to give up his boy once he already had him. It's just not a good situation to put a well meaning person in. He had no idea he'd just adopted something potentially illegal where he lived. Maybe they really thought he was a JRT? I somehow doubt it considering the circumstances.

That story is just wow... People can be idiots.

Members online

No members online now.