opinions

Maxy24

We were watching dogs101 this morning and they had on the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. My mom decided she loved them (purely physical for her), based on what I know about them they would fit into my parents' lives wonderfully. Mom said now that I'm leaving she wants something to love (guess the cats don't count lol).

Whether or not she'll actually get one I have no idea but she seems excited about it. Anyway I was looking, there are none in shelters in MA so I started looking at breeders. Considering how overbred they are I was surprised at how hard it was to find any around here, they all seem to be in California.

But I found this one in CT, was just wondering how you all felt about them. Or if you know of any around MA.
Stronghold Cavaliers

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I'd like to know about the longevity of their dogs, as that is one of the biggest concerns in the breed. 10 years is about average, because of the rampant heart problems, but there are breeders who are working on having clear, long-lived lines. There's a fantastic breeder in Olathe, KS who has dogs regularly living to 14 years and beyond, heart-disease free.

This is a fairly vague website, so I'd want to talk to them further and see what their dogs have scored on the tests they say they do.

MPP

petperson
I am so stupid! :doh: I actually LOOKED AT THE SITE! Now I want Dexter. He is just---I want him!

Thanks a lot, Maxy24. Don't know a thing about the breeder, but that Dexter is KILLER cute!

Dekka

Just try me..
The fact that they have a litter where it seems that ALL of the puppies are available (ie no waiting list at all, not keeping one etc) seem a bit sketch.

I really like the breed, they make great typical family pets.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
ive actually met these folks, they do OFA (results posted) and pra-pcrd and do cardiac testing, they do alot of rally, not much conformation, but there nice people and have lovely dogs, personality plus!

biggest risks with cavs...
ears (prone to ear infections)
heart, make sure the breeder does cardiac function testing
knees, prone to patella luxation

over all awesome little spaniels, sweet, cute, and trainable!

BostonBanker

I have friends I do agility with who breed Cavaliers, and I am definitely in love with the breed despite my initial "eh" reaction. I'll send you their site privately, as I don't like posting breeders here.

Ilyena

I didn't see any word about MRI-screening for syringomyelia on that site (although I might have missed it). Health testing is crucial for cavs. As already mentioned especially heart, patellas and eyes are important but in my opinion also syringomyelia. Any breeder who will not show you the test results, walk away and find someone else. It's well worth it to do the research properly and be on a waiting list for even years to get a well-bred cavalier. It's a fantastic breed that I love more and more by each passing day. Can't imagine ever being without a cavalier nowadays.

Maxy24

thanks for the input everyone but I think mom has decided we can't afford a dog right now, she was just momentarily stupefied by their adorableness. Maybe in a few years, who knows.

Members online