What breeds would you never own?

pacopoe

Wheatons...now there's a breed you will NEVER catch me owning. I say I won't own labs, but obviously one has wormed her way into my heart. Never will be the case with a Wheaton. Like Paco said, maybe there are good ones out there, but I sure as heck haven't met one. They've all be crazy as hell, either DA or HA and then there are the special kids that have a touch of both. Like Nolu said, NFW. I realize they are a highly milled/BYB'd dog because they make ridiculously cute puppies and are "non-shedding" but geesh. I had one dog slip through the daycare gate, run back into the boarding area, find ME and bite me on the arm! Like he just zoomed out of nowhere and CHOMP. Luckily for me he had his feet out first and so I had the instinctual reaction to turn away and he only grazed me, but still. Psycho MF'er!
Frankly, I've been so scarred by them I don't even think they're cute. Had a dream I accidentally owned one that came to me via rescue... I woke up a sad, sad girl.

Nothing like a Wheaton that tries to attack you and, while you're holding it at arms length in a defensive grip, it starts pooping itself. Whee! I, too, worked with them extensively in a day care setting and there are many, many "special children" ;) Goes back to the bad breeding thing... and that they're an color variant off-shoot of the Kerry... breeding solely for color=bad things.

I would actually put poor training and bad breeding as hand in hand. .....
That is true also. I though I did type that lol, it was late and dark when I was typing last night.

On tot he wheaton talk. LMAO its funny you both say that. on another board Im on some one is talking about theyr WT. calling it a terror, crazy ect lol

I have not met to many (guess they are not popular around here) I have met one, he goes tot he dog park, has to be muzzled becuase he can snap at any moment says the owner. I dont belive it becuase in the 5 years I have seen him, he has never once even tried to growl at a dog, its a cgae muzzle so he can growl and snao in the comfort of his cage, but he doesnt.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
There was another Wheaton I used to work with that had such poor impluse control that he would literally jump up and down on his hind legs to throw a temper tantrum. This particular place was one of those "cage-less" facilities (not a good idea, IMO) and so when someone came to pick up their dog, we had to find a way to trick the Wheaton into going out onto the playground and shutting the door, otherwise he would get so mad that he wasn't the one leaving that he would run around biting any dog he could reach. Trying to put him in a crate only made yourself a target...scary, scary dog.

I worked with that one as much as I could and made some progress (although the owner was a jerk and wouldn't believe what I was telling him and so kept undoing it all), but I didn't stay at that place for more than 2 months before going back to my original place.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
For me, most herding breeds (especially border collies). Something about their temperament and quirks aren't really that attractive to me. Spaniels are also not my cup of tea.

Technically, Voodoo and Zeus are both from breeds that can herd, but they're far more driven to hunt than herd, and their personalities are different.

Tasha13

I would never own a lab because they don't appeal to me. I have met MANYYYY poorly trained and aggressive labs and goldens. Blaze has been physically attacked by 2 labs and 3 goldens. and I'm sure he would have been by many more if I didn't see them first and get him out of the way. Actually Im at my boyfriends house ATM and the next door lab (a chocolate lab) is the most aggressive dog I have ever seen. Blaze was attacked by him 2 weeks ago. that dog went in for the kill. I cant even put Blaze in their back yard becuase the dog trys and DIGS under the fence to get him. I don't blame the breed, I blame the owners. but either way they still do attack.

Same could be said why dont you want a poodle? Poodles are one of the smartest breeds. offcourse there is bad apples in every breed. growing up we had 2.5 poodles (one was half poodle half chi) they were all great dogs, maybe we were just good owners and trained them well. I think the stigma poodles get is that they are only "old" peopls dogs and are nothing but yappy lap dogs. which all the dogs we had were none of the above. well one just wanted to be a lap dog. but she loved everything in the world and was a great dog.

That really pisses me off that people ruin the breed of a Lab by poorly training or Not training at all, cause Tater was amazingly easy to train maybe it was because he has a really good backround. (who knows).

But i am really sorry to hear all those bad experiences you had with them......i Honestly have never heard or seen anything like that......I bet all of those dogs dont get enough exercize and that is why they were so crazy and aggresive......Lack of exercize can make Any dog go nuts.......

But in those cases with the labs you came in contact with it is the owners fault completly.

My BF and i take Tater to the dog park 3-5 times a week and there is not ONE dog he has not gotten along with. But hes is trained properly and is given alot of love which is what All dogs need and deserve.

I hope you have a better experience somtime soon. :)

see you learn new things every day! except for the large lips(?) they dont look like a mastiff to me at all! Although they're large, they're very thin... and when I think mastiff, I think massive! LOL. :p
Well bred danes aren't unnaturally thin. Compared to an english mastiff, yes, they're thinner, but they're certainly not lightweights. Well bred males typically top out at 200 lbs or around that. Heck, even my BYB male from years ago weighed 195.

They're typically taller than English Mastiffs by a fair amount, so that makes them appear thinner as well, but I assure you, have one hit you while they're running full speed and you will not doubt their heft. ;)

That really pisses me off that people ruin the breed of a Lab by poorly training or Not training at all, cause Tater was amazingly easy to train maybe it was because he has a really good backround. (who knows).

But i am really sorry to hear all those bad experiences you had with them......i Honestly have never heard or seen anything like that......I bet all of those dogs dont get enough exercize and that is why they were so crazy and aggresive......Lack of exercize can make Any dog go nuts.......

But in those cases with the labs you came in contact with it is the owners fault completly.

My BF and i take Tater to the dog park 3-5 times a week and there is not ONE dog he has not gotten along with. But hes is trained properly and is given alot of love which is what All dogs need and deserve.

I hope you have a better experience somtime soon. :)

You are correct. they are poorly trained. most of the attacks have happened at the dog park. dont get me wrong I dont belive that labs or goldens are agressive brees. they were not bred for it. I dont hate labs or goldens. They just dont appeals to me to own one. Blaze has many dog friends at the dog park that are goldens or labs (since these 2 breeds are the most popular) and I love bailey, sky, chester, buster, georgia ect they all are great examples of their breeds.

I just tend to fall in to mroe herding breeds and prefer them over any other tpes of breeds lol.

There is a wheaton I see everytime I go to the dog park. Hes a very good dog, very active!! But of course, hes a terrier. Hes not dog aggressive or human aggressive AT all!

I would never own one just cause I don't like the way they look!

But i am really sorry to hear all those bad experiences you had with them......i Honestly have never heard or seen anything like that......I bet all of those dogs dont get enough exercize and that is why they were so crazy and aggresive......Lack of exercize can make Any dog go nuts.
Almost every lab I have met at the dog park had issues. There are DA labs there, there are HA labs there. For example, there is a man who brings his lab to the dog park several hours a day, and that dog is DA. He starts fights with all kind of dogs, and his owners ALWAYS blames the OTHER dogs. I guess he is in denial. I leave when he gets there.

SmexyPibble

Blow. Me. Away.
Actually Im at my boyfriends house ATM and the next door lab (a chocolate lab) is the most aggressive dog I have ever seen. Blaze was attacked by him 2 weeks ago. that dog went in for the kill. I cant even put Blaze in their back yard becuase the dog trys and DIGS under the fence to get him. I don't blame the breed, I blame the owners. but either way they still do attack.
I was bitten by both a Golden Retriever & a Lab. Everyone thinks all Labs are good dogs, they're just perfect & that's why they're so popular. They could not be further than wrong.

Our neighbor in the town we used to live in had two Golden Retrievers that were very DA. They killed an elderly Rottweiler, mauled & killed my friend's Dachshund and when my mom ran out and grabbed the Dachshund the Goldens tore into her until she let the Dachshund go. They ripped into my past pit bull, and attacked Georgia when they broke into our yard before we moved.

We rescued a yellow Lab puppy two months ago who one month ago bit into Kierstyn, who is 2 years old. Kierstyn got a rip down her face, two black eyes and puncture marks.

Almost every lab I have met at the dog park had issues. There are DA labs there, there are HA labs there. For example, there is a man who brings his lab to the dog park several hours a day, and that dog is DA. He starts fights with all kind of dogs, and his owners ALWAYS blames the OTHER dogs. I guess he is in denial. I leave when he gets there.
Every Lab I've met at the dog park and the lake growls profusely at my dogs and are DA.

And have to add, my Labs can't be further from perfect. In fact, all of the dog breeds I've had I have had better luck with than my Labs. & I will never own Labs again.

Tahla9999

I was bitten by both a Golden Retriever & a Lab. Everyone thinks all Labs are good dogs, they're just perfect & that's why they're so popular. They could not be further than wrong.

Our neighbor in the town we used to live in had two Golden Retrievers that were very DA. They killed an elderly Rottweiler, mauled & killed my friend's Dachshund and when my mom ran out and grabbed the Dachshund the Goldens tore into her until she let the Dachshund go. They ripped into my past pit bull, and attacked Georgia when they broke into our yard before we moved.

We rescued a yellow Lab puppy two months ago who one month ago bit into Kierstyn, who is 2 years old. Kierstyn got a rip down her face, two black eyes and puncture marks.

Every Lab I've met at the dog park and the lake growls profusely at my dogs and are DA.

And have to add, my Labs can't be further from perfect. In fact, all of the dog breeds I've had I have had better luck with than my Labs. & I will never own Labs again.
Blame the popularity, not the breed. I have only had one bad experience with a lab, but that was my fault. The rest I have meet were the best dogs.:)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
In lab's defense, while they are totally NOT the dog for me, we used to have one named Pete. Handsome black lab, very muscular guy with a gorgeous head. He was a fabulous dog, very eager to please, VERY smart, very dedicated. Active, but he had a decent off switch. No mean bone in his body, and one of the best retrievers that i've ever seen.

That's a good reason to meet a well bred lab, imo. A well bred retriever is a very good dog. Pete was from field champions and was just a wonderful animal.

bubbatd

Such a shame you've had such bad experiences ! When breeds become popular ,one has to be very careful where they come from .

Tasha13

You rescued a yellow lab puppy? How old was the Puppy? And how did you rescue it? Personally i am pretty sure you should Not leave a 2 year old alone with any dog/puppy......and considering she was 2 years old (a baby still) and it was a Puppy...the puppy was being a puppy and Obviously got a lil out of hand....i wasn't there but sounds to me that someone should of been there watching the 2 of them And its Never too early to start training the puppy Obedience training. And with any rescue dog/puppy they are going to have Way more issues as if you went to a breeder. I am sorry that happened to her.......But in this case you shouldn't be blaming it all on the puppy.

Let me guess the puppy is back at the shelter?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Tasha, there's a big thread on this subject that you might want to go read if you're in the mood for some shivers up your spine. This dog, at almost 12 months of age, is not exactly a "puppy" anymore.

Hillside

Original Twin
I wouldn't own a Golden Retriever or a Lab if you paid me to. I also wouldn't consider virtually any of the toy breeds or for that matter, most small breeds, including most terrriers. I would never be able to own any sort of bully breed either, though I do like them.

robstaine

I would have any dog that needed a home. though i wouldn't look to get a small dog, I like big dogs :) think i like to compensate for my hight lol im a shortie.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I wouldn't turn down a dog in need no matter what breed it was, but like others said, there are some breeds I would not actively seek out.
Poodles- they can be great dogs, but they're not for me.
Pekingese, Bichon Frise, Yorkie, Pomeranian, etc. I think Lucy will be my last small dog. I adore her so much, but I do best with medium sized breeds.
I worship the herding group. Millie is really my absolute ideal dog. I can't think of a quality I want in a dog that she doesn't have. She has some lab in her, but is primarily border collie, which also shows so much in her temperament.

Members online

No members online now.