Sugar Overdose!!!

Im just wondering how sugar affects dog? Can they overdose? When I say sugar I mean caster sugar, you know the type you put in coffee, or use in cooking..

I just got home from work for lunch and discovered shadow can get to the worktop in the kitchen, she pulled down a 1kg bag of sugar. Destroyed it, all over the floor, thing is I dont know how much of it she's eaten. I've swept and mopped the kitchen floor, but I've had to go back to work, it was only my lunch break.

Im worried about shadow, she seemed fine when I went home lunch time, hadnt been sick, she'd drunk a lot of water thou.

Do you think she'll be ok?

Boxer*Mom

It wasn't me
Did it seem like you swept up 1kg or close to it? That might help you figure out how much she ate. I'm going to paste something I took from a website, this dog at a box of brown sugar and got into the trash.

"I think it is very likely that a whole box of sugar could lead to an osmotic induced dehydration or that it could lead to a bacterial overload or imbalance in the digestive tract that led to diarrhea. Dogs do get Salmonella and other food poisonings, so that is possible, too. Even fermentation of the sugar in the digestive tract seems possible, with excessive gas formation leading to pain and digestive problems and systemic signs. I'm just guessing at these things because I don't really have a reference that discusses ingestion of large quantities of sugar! It always amazes me how many things happen that aren't covered by the textbooks.

Hope this helps some.
Michael Richards, DVM "

This is the link to the site, http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dtoxin.html#Sugar overload

Thanks boxer*mom but I live in the UK, so I cant use those numbers. I swept up quite a lot of sugar, but it could have been half a kilo for all I know, im not too good with amounts, I couldn't tell the diff between half a kilo of sugar on the floor and a kilo of sugar on the floor, it all just looks like a lot!

Members online

No members online now.