Best Breed For Apartments?

D

DinoAndana

hey chicos an chicas,
Ive been planning on getting a dog for my apartment for some time now, i just wanted to know if you guys could point me in the right direction considering breeds as i live in an apartment. Im not tied down by work all the time and love to keep fit so its gonna be great for me to have someone to run to the park and play with each day. I guess the main points are that it obviously cant be too big, and im not very keen on any toy breeds. Finally it wouldnt have to mind being on itself for a lil while each day (unavoidable but not long). I was leaning towards a Beagle as ive always liked them, but if you guys could point me in the right direction id be very grateful.
Gracias, Dino

Bowowee

Bulacan Pitbull Club
DinoAndana said:
hey chicos an chicas,
Ive been planning on getting a dog for my apartment for some time now, i just wanted to know if you guys could point me in the right direction considering breeds as i live in an apartment. Im not tied down by work all the time and love to keep fit so its gonna be great for me to have someone to run to the park and play with each day. I guess the main points are that it obviously cant be too big, and im not very keen on any toy breeds. Finally it wouldnt have to mind being on itself for a lil while each day (unavoidable but not long). I was leaning towards a Beagle as ive always liked them, but if you guys could point me in the right direction id be very grateful.
Gracias, Dino

Beagles are nice dogs. In fact, I breed them. They are one of the most wonderful pets one could ever have. The problem is they tend to howl when left alone for long periods of time. I don't think your neighbors will like that. They enjoy long walks in wide open parks and grazing fields. Likes to run around and always full of energy. If you really want a beagle to live with you in your apartment, it is quite possible. A lot of people do this. But you have to be willing to give extra effort and time for your pets.

I believe that a Shih Tzu is the breed that can best cope up with apartment life. They can be left alone while you are at work without pestering your neighbors. They're nice to people and really loves their company. Its not that hard to groom their hair. Even though they have thick coats they shed less than beagles. They're a playful and jolly breed. You'll really enjoy their company.

D

DinoAndana

Shih Tzu's sound like a good option, its jus i want a dog thatd love to exercise an play quite alot with me aswell, an Shih Tzu's dont strike me as being one of those types? Theres jus something irresistable about Beagles though, and in terms of energy they sound like the perfect dog to suit me, with time would i be able to get past the howling? or is it just a 'Beagle' thing?
Dino

Bowowee

Bulacan Pitbull Club
DinoAndana said:
Shih Tzu's sound like a good option, its jus i want a dog thatd love to exercise an play quite alot with me aswell, an Shih Tzu's dont strike me as being one of those types? Theres jus something irresistable about Beagles though, and in terms of energy they sound like the perfect dog to suit me, with time would i be able to get past the howling? or is it just a 'Beagle' thing?
Dino
I'm not sure if we could get past the howling. They're really like that. Basset hounds and Beagles share that howling trait. I'm trying to figure that out how to solve that howling thing myself. Well, I guess that problem could be solved, nothing is impossible if we try.

showpug

DinoAndana said:
hey chicos an chicas,
Gracias, Dino
I would look for a toy breed or a giant breed with a low activity requirement. I would stay away from the hounds, terriers and herders for apartment living. Good luck in your search! :)

joce

I'd stay away from a beagle. Not jsut because of the noise,but they like to dig,chase things,and be rowdy and an apartment jsut isn't the best for that. Unless you go to a rescue and get a dog that is already developed and they can match it to what you need. They can be difficult to potty train too so older is often better :)

I always say greyhounds for an apartment,nothing beats them!

RoxyBoxer

we live in a duplex with a boxer but she gets out alot...we also have a leash out front so she can play with her toys all over the lawn and such. it just depends how much you exercise them.

It also depends on how long you will be with the dog how long you will walk it daily, and also wether you want a breed that is easily groomed etc.

EliNHunter

It all depends on the dog. My -ex has a wonderful lab (mix?) that's short in stature and very much an apartment dog. If you're looking at puppies, I'd definately stay away from any working, herding, or terrier breeds. They must do what they've been bred to do (work, herd, dig, etc.) and could destroy your apt. and be very unhappy. I would look into rescue. An adult dog that's been evaluated already (such as my -ex's "lab"). Match the personality to your environment, not a breed to your environment. I'd suggest checking with rescues and shelters... save a dog! :D

D

DinoAndana

ok, seems like its better for me to look into an adult dog from a shelter or a greyhound. the thing is, since theyve been racing all their lives, does a greyhound find it easy to fit into normal life away from the track? i mean easy to train etc. its jus that if it started trying to run away or chase things al the time, i think itd be hard to catch.
One final point, do you think theres a good chance of finding a lab or retriever that doesnt mind being left alone for a lil while? you see, theyve always been like my ideal dog ,ever since i was a kid. i get that theyve got alot of energy and id love to go play an walk with it for a few hours each day, id jus need it to be ok for the time i wasnt there.
Dino

Last edited by a moderator:

joce

There is a chance with every breed. It just takes waiting on a rescue list for a while to what you are looking for comes along.

Greyhousnds seem to go through a ton of tests when they go into the rescue.I've never seen anyone have a bad experience. YOu obviously can't let them run around were they could just keep running but its kinda the same with most dogs.

D

DinoAndana

ok, thanks so far to everyone for their views. ive been readin up on some other dogs and Corgi's sound like a good option too. Id love any information about them from owners or anyone who knows anything i guess.
Dino

I don't really know much about Corgis, but I did recall that there's an issue with any long-backed breed (Dachshunds, Bassets, Corgis, etc.) that if your apartment's a walk-up, they would have a hard time navigating a lot of stairs every day, several times a day.

If your heart is really set on a Lab, you could try an older dog - more settled and calm, still happy to play and walk but able to cope with being inactive for periods of time. Skipping the puppy and adolescent years cuts down on the time you'll have with the dog, of course, but you've arguably got the best years in a dog 5+. Puppies and teens are hysterically funny, but they're not really companions like a grown dog.

Corgis are great dogs, but they're rowdy. I think they take a strong hand and lots of time to train right. But I'm not an expert.

My brother has a lab mixed with something...another dog...we don't know. She's mostly lab. Anyway, he lives in an apartment and they have done really well. She did spaz out once and ate a door and a 4x4 area of carpet...(they were able to fix it and didn't get in trouble) But they had left her alone for too long. They have learned their lesson and nothing has happened since. But this dog is rotten. She thinks she is a person and seriously, you can look at her and know that she's thinking "I am way too good for that doggie thing you are expecting me to do. I'm a person. REMEMBER?"

I have a lhasa apso and that's what I recommend. They are energetic and like to run, but won't tear your house up as long as you train them right. They would also be okay if you didn't run them for a day or two if you got crazy busy or something. They're non-shedders. (That doesn't mean they don't shed. Just means they don't shed as much as, say, a lab) And they're not yappy dogs. Rarely does my dog bark. She'll give a low tone growl if someone she doesn't know comes to the door, but she gets over that fast. Mine is also very loyal. She loves her family and it shows.

joce

I'd never reccomend a corgi in an apartment,its the same as a border collie or any other herding dog,just on short legs.

They shed worse than huskys and they bark like crazy,and they are one of the harder breeds to potty train. They need lots of exercise but in short bursts mroe than a jog every day so without a yard or big house for them to run around it can get hard. Of course you could go to a rescue and look for an older one that would fit in an apartment. I honestly could never see my girl in an apartment,I know soem breeders say they are great apartmnentsized dogs but they are just bad breeders:p

Members online