My New 4 Week Old Puppy~*

Babbits

Hi guys.

I just got this chihuahua/weiner mix puppy today. The breeders said she was around 1 month old. I noticed her brothers were playful and wobbling/walking around but she just sits there...pretty much.

Ive had her for about 7 hours now. She hasnt drank much of her milk......:(
and all she doing is sleeping.

I know 4 weeks is a little too young but the breeder insisted it was okay because her mother has no more milk left....

I would like to know how many hours 4 week old puppies usually sleep....
and some other tips for a healthy puppy~

Tasha13

Wow! That is VERY early to be bringing home a puppy.

The Mother not having enough milk is Not a good reason....Those Pups need to be with there Mother and litter mates for At Least 7 weeks (that is where they learn manners and such). That is sad to here. Poor pup. :(

As for the sleeping i know a 2-3 month old sleeps about 14 hours a day if not more......So a 4 week old will be sleeping Alot more than that. So dont worry about that. Lots of sleep is normal.

What did this "breeder" tell you to feed her?

R

RedyreRottweilers

4 weeks is more than a little too young, and Tasha is correct about puppies needing their mothers and littermates for at LEAST 7 weeks.

I would recommend you get this puppy to a vet immediately.

IMO it is reprehensible to place a 4 week old puppy with ANYONE, esp. novice owner. The level of ignorance it takes to do this is almost beyond me.

Best of luck with your puppy, and please get this pup to a vet.

Barb04

Super Moderator
This is too young to be taken from the mother, but at the same time if the breeder doesn't want the pups any longer, a good/loving home is the next best thing which you are trying to provide.

I don't know a lot about pups at that age, but how about a checkup by your vet to make sure all is okay.

Pam111

It's especially important the small puppies eat. Their blood sugar can drop so quickly. You're feeding puppy milk replacement and not the kind of milk you drink, right?

lizzybeth727

I hope the breeder didn't charge you a lot for her, obviously this is not a reputable breeder, and I hope that you are not financially supporting this kind of practice. Good luck!

Maxy24

What have you been feeding her? Has she been going to the bathroom? I really hope she turns out Okay, health and temperament wise, taking them so early can mess them up, but if you try hard to keep her healthy and socialize her she should turn out just fine but you have to go above and beyond. Such a shame her breeder was so awful :( Stick around here so you learn what a good breeder is. His eyes are still infant blue...*sigh*

Good luck and keep us updated!

Cheza

Eeeeeeeeeeeek.

I don't have experience here but please take the advice of those who offer it! It could save the dog's life.

Best of luck.

Babbits

after about 2 nights i was really stressed out I myself got sick because i was worried for this puppies life...i drove to the breeders house, but she wouldnt open door or answer the phone so i called animal services and they left a voice mail..after that i called and they picked up right away. i let her know im going to leave her there with the mother and pick her back up a month later.

I miss her already :( but i think its for the best !

thanx for the replies:)

lizzybeth727

Good for you! That took a lot of strength and determination, qualities you'll be using again in a month when your puppy comes home and you get to start potty training! :)

Be sure to keep in contact with the breeder at least once a week for the next month.... just in case.... Good luck!

bubbatd

:hail: Good for you !!! Yes , please visit OFTEN and help these poor pups . I noticed the eye's too Maxy . Do you have a good puppy book ???

YodelDogs

I agree with those who said four weeks of age is way too young to be taken away from the mother and littermates. It is highly irresponsible to do so.

This "breeder" is selling the pups because the dam wasn't producing milk? Is she not aware that 4 week old puppies can be weaned? Or just too freaking lazy or too dense to finish raising them? Yes it is preferrable that the pups be older to start weaning but since the dam is no longer producing milk, they need to be weaned onto solid food, not being fed milk replacer. I sincerely hope everything works out and your puppy is ok. Please let us know how things turn out.

Another story of a backyard breeder puppy!!

Hopefully you actually get the puppy back! Wouldn't surprise me if this irresponsible person who is probably in it for a quick buck sells your puppy so she doesn't have to keep it at her house. A LOT of people get rid of the puppies as soon as they start going to the bathroom without their mom's help, because they are too lazy to clean up after them,

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
MAKE A FORMAL REPORT TO ANIMAL CONTROL!
in most states it is ILLEGAL to sell a puppy inder 6 weeks of age!

im glad you took the puppy back to be raised with its mother and littermates, it is better for their social development, with toy breeds 10-12 weeks is preferable but this is obviously not a responsible breeder.
just be extreemly carefull, visit frequently and make sure you keep all documentaion, contract and recipts...just in case.

B

Backward_Cinderella

Raising Doom after we brought him home at a week old was one of the hardest things I ever did... almost as hard as raising Adam. His mother was unable to nurse, too, and had already killed three of Doom's litter, so he came home.
I'm glad you took her back to be with her mother, but like everyone else said, keep a close eye on this breeder, and watch your pup like a hawk. I wouldn't be shocked if she sold her. <3

Saje

Island dweller
Oh I didn`t realize this had been bumped.... it`s been almost a month. I hope you can update :)

Members online

No members online now.