Need new leash wear. Help?

xpaeanx

I'm just posting in regards to materials....

When it comes to hardware, solid brass and stainless steel are the best choices. The "nickle plated" that snaps is nickle plated zinc, not nickle plated in general. You can get nickle plated solid brass for instance and that's a great piece of hardware for those that want silver. But zinc makes me cringe... I have some personal horror stories with it as well as all the ones you hear about online and such. I recently started making dog things to sell and spent days trying to just source materials bc I am dead set on only offering the best quality materials I can. I learned there is more zinc out there than I even want to think about and less availability on the good quality items. It will cost you more to avoid zinc hardware though(it's cheap and easy so there's a lot of it).

On the leather vs biothane: biothane is going to be basically a zero maintenance material. You can take it through more or less anything and only have to give it a rinse through water afterwards... But it will never break-in and mold to your hand like leather will. They're both great materials... but I tend to like leather for everyday comfortand biothane for doing "ewww" things. I'd say think about what is more important to you.

Melle

Ah okay, looks like I should stick to getting a brass-clipped leash. Thanks for the info!

I really like the way leather molds to the handler, and I've head it can last for at least a decade if well-cared for, so I'm inclined to get that. Not to mention the strength and elegance of the braids.

Although the All-K9 Biothane is apparently very soft.

And the mountain rope would also look great against her, thin, round in the hand, colorful.

Bleh :rolleyes: I'll figure it out eventually...in another millennia...

I honestly don't have much *need* for biothane because all I do is walk her around the neighborhood with it. I can save that for the long line. Ok good, down to leather and rope lol.

Melle

I believe I've decided to go with a nice braided leather leash from Bridgeport Equipment, despite All-K9 having a sale this weekend - I hear too many good things about leather and I'm too persuaded to miss out.

What width would be good for her? She doesn't pull, but again with the hitting the end hard sometimes, would 5/8 be sufficient enough, or should I bump up to 3/4"?

teacuptiger

floor dancer
I believe I've decided to go with a nice braided leather leash from Bridgeport Equipment, despite All-K9 having a sale this weekend - I hear too many good things about leather and I'm too persuaded to miss out.

What width would be good for her? She doesn't pull, but again with the hitting the end hard sometimes, would 5/8 be sufficient enough, or should I bump up to 3/4"?
Depends on you. Personally, I like 1/2 in because it fits best in my hand. My nails don't go into my palm (I have very short nails), and it's still easy to wrap the leash around my hand. Plus, I usually get a 1in snap, which I prefer to tiny ones.

However, with leather, I would get as thin as you feel comfortable with. But that's just because, for me, I don't like handling wider leather. It doesn't feel as flexible to me as thinner leather.

I do have a very nice 5/8 braided leather EL leash, and I LOVE that width for leather. So, if your dog doesn't pull at all, go for it!! It should be fine if your dog hits the end hard once in a while.

I'm not a huge fan of the Ella's Lead rope leashes for most dogs - the fixtures are quite heavy. I have 3 short leashes from them and rarely use them because of the weight.
Wanna sell them? :D I can't quite justify an EL's shopping spree right now because even though I need a couple more leashes, I always get distracted by collars and a simple shopping mission turns into "bye bye budget". I love (and need) the heavy hardware for my two, as they are known hardware busters.

Melle

I ended up going with the Bridgeport 3/4" 5-foot braided leather lead...

...but the EL Eco rope in Triple Play Black is still calling my name </3 Someday. Can never have one leash. Or collar (I'm going to lose all my money when I get her a Hill Top Leather collar).

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Wanna sell them? :D I can't quite justify an EL's shopping spree right now because even though I need a couple more leashes, I always get distracted by collars and a simple shopping mission turns into "bye bye budget". I love (and need) the heavy hardware for my two, as they are known hardware busters.
There is a link in the flea market thread.... ;)

FG167

I agree with Erin, and I also have some I'd be willing to sell.

Members online