New Puppy - Confused about Innova Puppy vs Evo

banzai75x

Hi,

I've been reading alot of threads on the Innova foods. I'm sold, but I don't know if I should be feeding my puppy Innova Puppy or Innova Evo.

My new puppy is 12 weeks old. Currently eating Eukanuba lamb and rice. He is a 5lb Cavalier King Charles and is expected to be 15-20 lbs at full growth.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

Mordy

Quigleyfied
since your dog is not a large breed, you could feed either innova puppy or innova evo.

evo is just not recommended for large breed puppies because of how their body is affected by overfeeding and high levels of minerals during their growth phase.

banzai75x

Thanks! I also got a response from Innova and they said it is okay. They also gave a recommended feeding chart. I hope he likes it.

Saje

Island dweller
My cat, Mini, did not like it. She's a weird-o. I wet it for her for a few days and then she started eating it. She was a gassy baby too. :rolleyes:

banzai75x

He's starting toe at it and he chows down. I am mixing 1/3 EVO, with 2/3 Eukanuba .. Today probably go 50/50. His stool is very mushy though. Not very solid.

I'd just go ahead and ditch the Eukanuba and go with the straight Innova. You might have a few days of loose stools while his systems detoxes, but it won't hurt him to get all that garbage out of his system.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
you can also buy some canned pumpkin (pure pumpkin, not the pie filling mix with spices already in it) and give a teaspoon or so with each meal. it helps firm things up quickly. :)

banzai75x

How long does it usually take to firm up? Hes eating all of the EVO now and loving it. His stool this morning was very wet and soft still. Gave him some pumpkin this morning too which he loved.

Khristine

i was confused at first, i hesitated to get the EVO for my pups because i thought it was for older dogs, but then i did a comparison of the calories, and EVO was more than the regular, which the EVO would be great to fatten up my puppies :D

should I go with the EVO? or stick to the regular? I have 3 puppies now..

Oreo - 6 month old Yorkie/Pomeranian - 3lbs - on regular innova at the moment
Ginger - 6 month old Yorkie - 4.5lbs - on regular innova at the moment
Cloey lyn - 10 week old Maltese - 2lbs - just got her yesterday, she is on canidae canned, with purina puppy chow dry - i want to switch to innova though. (she already has loose stools from her deworming treatment :confused: :( )

Where can I get this canned Pumpkin? I can only seem to find pumpkin filling! :(

Since yours are small, Khristine, you can go ahead and feed them the EVO. It's the large breeds that shouldn't be on it as pups.

Have you looked in the canned fruit section of the grocery for the pumpkin - not where the pie filling is? Sometimes it's in with the pie filling, but often they'll stock it in with canned fruit. If you don't see it, find someone (good luck with that :rolleyes: ) to help you find it.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
i know albertsons and vons carry it in the baking aisle, ralphs usually in the canned fruit section. :)

Khristine

Mordy said:
i know albertsons and vons carry it in the baking aisle, ralphs usually in the canned fruit section. :)

o0oh I have to go to the fruit section.. don't ask me where I looked, i'll feel like a dummy lol :eek: i do have a ralph's and i'll be sure to go there now! she has the RUNS! lol :cool:

banzai75x

So my puppy's stool is somewhat incosistent. It's been a week now and sometimes its mushy like pudding, other times its nice and firm. Thsi morning it was firm but the last "piece" was mushy.

He also gets to eat greenies. Do you think the greenies might be causing the softness?

Mordy

Quigleyfied
it's very well possible. leave out the greenies for a week or two and see what happens.

banzai75x

So I wanted to give an update. I've eliminated everythng from his diet except for the EVO food. His stool is somewhat soft still. It's like pudding. When I try to pick it up from the grass with a bag, it leaves a lot of "residual" stuff behind. I was under the impression it should be nice and firm, like a little brick. So far it hasn't happened.

I even cut back a little on his food to make sure I wasn't overfeeding. Do you think maybe he just can't handle this food? Maybe switch to Canidae or Innova Puppy?

Members online

No members online now.