Puppy May Have Eaten..........

L

LabBreeder

some parts off of a small plastic Harley Davidson! :eek: I found the front fender, so I know he didn't eat that (like I originally thought). I still haven't found the headlight cover or the saddle bags (which are bigger than the fender). He chewed the front wheel until it came off. He also chewed the plastic discs on either side of the wheel, but didn't eat them.
He's had 2 or 3 normal bowel movements and has been eating and drinking regularly. He doesn't seem sick (even though I know he had to have eaten some of the paint off of it).
Are puppies like infants? What I mean is, if he swallows something that he's not supposed to can you use the "wait and see" approach unless he seems sick or starts acting unusual?:confused: I know my mom didn't take me to the hospital when I swallowed pennies or dirt.

Any ideas?

L

LabBreeder

Gee, it's good to know so many people care about me and my pups. I assumed I'd get some sort of advice but I guess I'll deal with this on my own.

bubbatd

I didn't see this !!! Of course we care !!! I'd watch him and watch his stools....any change in either is vet time. Next time, if this happeneds, give a slice of bread to help coat anything rough. Let us know !!!

J

jake_toga'smom

LabBreeder said:
Gee, it's good to know so many people care about me and my pups. I assumed I'd get some sort of advice but I guess I'll deal with this on my own.
oh im sorry! bring your puppy to the vet and get a checkup ussually they use a x-ray and see whats inside...i think? im not a doctor so im not really sure!:/

Roxy's CD

Puppies eat all sorts of crazy stuff and usually their fine ALTHOUGH because I know there can be some sharp pointy plastic pieces on stuff like that you should be watching him extra carefull. (if he did eat anything it was probably chewed up but it's better to be safe than sorry)

I'm not sure if this is a great idea but maybe you could give him something to empty out his system? Yano, make him poop til there's nothing left to poop?

L

LabBreeder

His stools were normal up til the last one. He would have eaten these things in the middle of the night or early, early morning time though. The good news is I have found most of the parts that were missing! :) I'm hoping I was wrong and that this bike didn't have saddlebags on it.

Oh yeah, the last stool, almost forgot. It's very, very hot out here with no wind so I know he tires easily and gets hot quicker. Could that have anything to do with a "slight" softening of the stool? I noticed today that when I walk them across the field he tires out faster than she does. He tries to keep up with Tira, but she's older and can run faster/farther than him without getting tired as quickly. Assuming he didn't actually eat a piece of the bike. Could the heat have anything to do with slightly softer stool (not runny or diarrhea by any means).

I'm begining to think he may not have. I mean, all the parts I'm finding are ALOT smaller than those saddlebags would have been, and he didn't eat them.

Tinaweena

Well Boone survived eating razor blades, a few saddle bags should pass through like silk compared to those hahah
The vet told us to just give big meals and lotsa exercise to work it all out then, so should be fine

L

LabBreeder

Cool. As long as nothing seems to be getting stopped up or hurting I guess I'll wait and see if anything strange passes in the next day or so. If nothing does, he may have just not eaten them. I'm hoping they pop up under the couch or chair or something. lol

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Feed him pieces of bread...

i'm sure he'll be fine honestly.. Labs are notorious for eating anything they *think* is edible...

The Lab we babysat for 4 months ate anything that was small and in site lmao her favourite was dryer sheets(VERY bad lol)
She'd dig right into the garbage and pull them out.. so after that one incident ALL garbages were raised off the floor ..

L

LabBreeder

Well, the more I think about it, it seems that we found all the pieces. It just took a while to find them throughout the house. LOL
He's been having regular bm's and anytime he gets ahold of anything he mainly chews it to death but very rarely swallows. Unless it's food or a treat that's edible.

L

LabBreeder

I guess I should be happy that he just chews and gnaws instead of swallowing everything. LOL :) Gotta love the lil rascals though. Well, she doesn't do that anymore, but she used to. :)

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
I would crate him at night then. I know its a pain but well worth the peice of mind..Now I know your renting. If your in an apartment talk to your nieghbors about the crying they will hear and plan the breaking period during a reasonable time for others. Like on the weekends and during the day.
Or block off an area that has nothing he can destroy although I did that and the pup decided tearing off the trim and sheet rock was a fun thing to do! lol
Labs are known to eat the strangest things. I have been pretty lucky and the ones I have had only destroy them not eat. Although Red went through a period of eating crayons and had rainbow poop:D
Hope your pupper is ok!
Kris

Members online

No members online now.