Anyone conceal carry?

DJEtzel

I posted to this before, but it got eaten by the spam filter I guess.

I have my CCW license, and I carry a glock 22, the full size .40 glock. I love this gun. It's seriously the best one I shot/tested before buying, I have relatively weak hands and a bad wrist, and I can still rack the slide on it with no problems, in either hand. The only other gun I might want for CC is a sig .40

I am allowed to coceal OR open carry with my license, and sometimes it just depends on my mood what I choose to do. I can conceal the full size frame of this gun, but only with a hoodie or a jacket on. The holster I use doesn't allow for carrying in the small of my back, or I could do it with just a baggy t-shirt. Which is what I wear anyway.

I also have a drop leg holster that I carry with sometimes, simply for ease of access while driving vs the hip holster. It gets some strange looks if I'm wearing civilian clothing, but wearing camo it doesn't get a second look usually lol.

I also like the Baretta px4 Storm my friend has, but it's a 9mm, and I prefer the .40 caliber. Purely personal preference, as knock-down power is a myth.

I will add, stay away from Glock if you want a "real" safety. The Glock has a trigger safety, but as it uses a firing pin vs a hammer, there isn't a true safety on the gun. This can be an issue if you want to carry with a round in the chamber and you are around small children and/or stupid adults. Glock is safety tested against misfires with dropping the gun loaded though, I think from 2 meters onto a steel plate, so the danger isn't dropping it loaded, it's stupid people who don't clear the chamber before picking up a weapon and children who don't know any better.

Part of owning a gun, any gun, is not allowing either category access to your weapon.
My dad has a glock as well and this was the first thing he told me about them prior to shooting. I will not own one to carry, because of that. Thank you for pointing it out, though!

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
My dad has a glock as well and this was the first thing he told me about them prior to shooting. I will not own one to carry, because of that. Thank you for pointing it out, though!
Yeah, a lot of people have that as their sticking point against Glocks. I've never met a tougher gun though. I've literally never had a misfire, failure to fire or failure to eject with this gun. Even when I've set it down in dirt, shooting in blowing sand or rain. It's been dragged through the mud, rinsed off and it still shoots.

But, in that case, I'd highly recommend Sig, Baretta or an H&K as well.

Also, I dislike snub nosed revolvers immensely. Have never liked them, but the Taurus .45 I shot was such a wrist breaker it just cemented it.

Isn't the Glock basically like a double action... ie all the other revolvers being mentioned? The long trigger pull is one safety, with the little safety on the trigger being more for drops.

I'd want one for hiking, cougars and bears being a concern in some areas. Pepper spray seems to have a better record, but a deadly option after the pepper spray makes some sense. But then we're talking big bullets. .357? LCR maybe since I could practice with .38 special.

I bought the Glock for the reasons others listed for not owning them. The S&W I sold had a similar trigger system.

That and the Glock rep demonstrating cleaning by field stripping and putting it in the dishwasher. I prefer the AK to the AR for similar reasons.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
I'm looking at either the Taurus UltraLite .38 or a Smith and Wesson snub .22 Mag.

I take my class in two weekends. Yay. :) Can apply in April!

Zizzy35

In NJ we aren't allowed too. Boo. My hubbs is a LEO and has a federal firearms license. We have guns in the house, but chances are I'd go to jail if someone walked in my house & I shot them...Go figure.

I have started trap shooting, and I enjoy it. I'm not good, but I'm working on it.

milos_mommy

I'm really just curious...those of you that conceal carry...why?

Is it more of a hobby or in-case-of-a-really-unrealistic-situation-like-hostile-government-takeover? Or is it for realistic self-protection on a daily basis? And if the latter...what is it for protection from? Animals, people, both?

I just have never been in, nor can I imagine realistically being put into, a situation where I wouldn't feel 100% confident defending myself without a gun, based on situation awareness, or carrying mace/other means of protection.

Snark

Mutts to you

Is it more of a hobby or in-case-of-a-really-unrealistic-situation-like-hostile-government-takeover? Or is it for realistic self-protection on a daily basis? And if the latter...what is it for protection from? Animals, people, both?

I just have never been in, nor can I imagine realistically being put into, a situation where I wouldn't feel 100% confident defending myself without a gun, based on situation awareness, or carrying mace/other means of protection.
Your first question is offensive (to me, anyway) - 'really-unrealistic-situation, etc.' So, you're basically asking if it's a hobby or the person is a paranoid looney-tunes? The government might not be attempting a 'hostile' takeover, but they're pushing really hard to disarm legal gun owners. Really, realistically working for Chicago, isn't it?

I have a shotgun but want a handgun as well for self-protection (more from people than animals).

You might never imagine being in a situation where you need a gun but around here, banks/loan offices are being robbed on an almost daily basis and it seems that home invasions are up. A local elderly woman shot an intruder who broke in and was attacking her sister - she even fired a warning shot but he wouldn't quit, so she shot him. I suppose she could have hit him with a baseball bat, if she had one, and hope it was enough to incapacitate him so he wouldn't turn and use it on her...

DJEtzel

I don't carry yet, but when I get my permit it will be for all of the reasons listed. As a hobby, to protect my rights and the government from taking them, and to protect myself on a daily basis from humans OR animals. Too many odd things happen in our society for me to trust anyone or any situation and I do not have self defense training, and my German shepherd won't be a detterant for everyone. I've gotten weird calls at work, weird vibes inside my own house, and I lock up and close my place of business in the dark, alone, most nights. It is for my all-around peace of mind, along with exercising my rights of course.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady

The main reason I want to be able to conceal carry is for protection against other people. Unfortunately I have been in situations in the past where I wished I did have a gun on me for protection.

Quite a few years back I was out walking Bamm and some guy grabbed me. I don't think he noticed Bamm since Bamm was practically in a bush trying to find a pee spot and it was dark out. The guy grabbed me and thankfully Bamm bit him and he backed off, but what if I didn't have my dog with me? What if he didn't back off when Bamm bit him? I had another situation that actually happened in my home when a roommate had a guy friend and his friends stay over. Unfortunately in that situation I was unable to protect myself and Bamm was crated and I do wish I had owned a gun back then.

Thing is anything can happen anywhere. You could be in the nicest of areas and something could still happen. Having a concealed carry in my opinion stacks the odds a little in my favor.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I choose to own guns for hobby, collection, and protection. Less from government and more from common criminals. I also allow and encourage my dogs to retain a healthy and confident suspicion of strangers for safety.

Not everyone who prepares is paranoid. :)

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I should add as far as owning guns... Aside from personal protection its also a hobby. My husband and I shoot almost every weekend for fun. Went skeet shooting yesterday with my 20 gauge shotgun.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
I choose to own guns for hobby, collection, and protection. Less from government and more from common criminals. I also allow and encourage my dogs to retain a healthy and confident suspicion of strangers for safety.

This. :hail:

Torch

For me, I enjoy the hobby for a variety of reasons. I grew up hunting and shooting with my dad, and it brought both of us great enjoyment to hone our skills together. As the others have mentioned, there are many instances all around the U.S where everyday people were able to defend themselves from harm by carrying a handgun.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger

Absolutely this. Amen. Most of the time, I don't carry on my person, but having that option makes me feel better about those times when the Jeep is on empty, I HAVE to stop, and the gas station is rather shady looking. I don't advertise I have a weapon, but knowing that I DO have something on hand allows me to have more confidence. And most of the time, criminals avoid confidant people.

Pops2

He WAS a Marine, and does not stand for a single thing he stood for then, or that the Marines stand for.
I find it hard to believe any man that ever earned the title doesn't believe in putting your best effort into every task, no matter how crappy the job; being willing to shed blood and sweat on behalf of those who cannot fight for themselves, opposing oppression & tyranny, bringing hope and help to those in need, never quitting and never abandoning those to whom you are responsible.
I don't doubt that he heard and saw things in the Corps that he disagreed with. It's not perfect, it is an organization of people (exceptional people but people nonetheless) and people are fallible. Like a religion, some dickheads slip through the cracks, reach positions of authority and then teach false doctrine. But that false doctrine in no way reduces the legitimacy of the true doctrine. Likewise the failure of an individual or even a whole command element to uphold true Marine Corps values in no way negates those values.
Do politicians use us wrongfully to enrich themselves and their friends in industry? ABSOLUTELY. Do politicians fail to employ us in a morally upright manner because it wont make them money (think Rwanda here)? ABSOLUTELY. But it doesn't change WHO WE ARE. It doesn't make us them or mean that we agree with those decisions. It means we accept the the founding father's righteous decision to make the military subservient to the people.

I thought at first this meant if anyone carried concealer with them all the time lol. Well I used to keep a Touche Eclat or some Avon cover up in my purses before LOL - and I don't own any firearms (presently). If I did in the future though I couldn't imagine myself carrying them except if I moved into a different city/area.

Snark

Mutts to you
I find it hard to believe any man that ever earned the title doesn't believe in putting your best effort into every task, no matter how crappy the job; being willing to shed blood and sweat on behalf of those who cannot fight for themselves, opposing oppression & tyranny, bringing hope and help to those in need, never quitting and never abandoning those to whom you are responsible.
:hail:

That describes my dad (served in the Marines during the Korean War).

DJEtzel

I don't doubt that he heard and saw things in the Corps that he disagreed with. It's not perfect, it is an organization of people (exceptional people but people nonetheless) and people are fallible. Like a religion, some dickheads slip through the cracks, reach positions of authority and then teach false doctrine. But that false doctrine in no way reduces the legitimacy of the true doctrine. Likewise the failure of an individual or even a whole command element to uphold true Marine Corps values in no way negates those values.
Do politicians use us wrongfully to enrich themselves and their friends in industry? ABSOLUTELY. Do politicians fail to employ us in a morally upright manner because it wont make them money (think Rwanda here)? ABSOLUTELY. But it doesn't change WHO WE ARE. It doesn't make us them or mean that we agree with those decisions. It means we accept the the founding father's righteous decision to make the military subservient to the people.
He has since changed political opinions and simply does not support the government whatsoever or the government's control over the armed forces and using it to their own gain. They are not looking out for the people anymore and that is something he is very up in arms about.

Members online