My snake laid an egg!!!

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Ya... I came home today to find an egg in Aneira's tank. I haven't bred her so its not fertile, but ya I didn't expect to find an egg. I'm going to candle it to be sure but she hasn't been with a male so it would have to be a miracle for it to be fertile lol.
I'm keeping an eye on her. She looks a little lumpy still so she could have another egg or two. Crossing my fingers she doesn't go egg bound.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
That's pretty crazy! Are they like other animals (I can't remember which) that can keep sperm stored and make babies whenever?

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I'm not sure 100%. I think I've read about it happening with a snake but I think it was a snake that gave live birth... Not positive when it comes to snakes that lie eggs.

I know she was bred by the guy who I got her from. It's been nearly almost a year now since I got her and this is the first time she has laid an egg.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I'm not sure 100%. I think I've read about it happening with a snake but I think it was a snake that gave live birth... Not positive when it comes to snakes that lie eggs.

I know she was bred by the guy who I got her from. It's been nearly almost a year now since I got her and this is the first time she has laid an egg.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Ya they can lay infertile eggs. I'm not positive how to tell the difference though. I do know there's a round bubble when I held it next to a light and there's something red inside the bubble.

Even if it is fertile for some total miraculous reason I don't have an incubator setup and I don't get paid until Wednesday.

Going to go check on her to see if there are anymore.

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
Yes, corn snakes can lay infertile eggs. Not every snake does it, but it isn't that uncommon.

And, yes, they can retain sperm from previous matings and produce viable eggs a year later without breeding again. Usually doesn't produce many eggs that way, but again, not that uncommon, either.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
What should I do with the egg since I don't have an incubator setup?

Also... And I feel horrible asking this... The dark red spot that I mentioned on the egg... Does that face up or down? I tried not to turn the egg but figured it was more than likely infertile... Now that I'm not positive I'm worried I may have turned the egg without thinking about it.

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
What should I do with the egg since I don't have an incubator setup?

Also... And I feel horrible asking this... The dark red spot that I mentioned on the egg... Does that face up or down? I tried not to turn the egg but figured it was more than likely infertile... Now that I'm not positive I'm worried I may have turned the egg without thinking about it.
In regards to which way is up, it depends on the egg, so I can't really help you there. Though, if ALL you see is a red spot, signs continue to point to it being a slug rather than a fertile egg.

I wouldn't spend money on an incubator for one egg that is most likely not fertile. Personally, I would just pitch it.

If you really want to see if it will hatch, you can put the egg in a plastic container with a mildly damp (not wet!) medium, cover it with a damp paper towel, close the lid (no air holes) and put it someplace warm where it won't be bothered (like a closet shelf). Refresh the inside air by opening and re-sealing the lid every week or so, and spritz a little more water if the paper towel gets dry. It will be a long incubation period this way, if it's even going to hatch at all, but it is an actual incubation method.

ETA: You should also seriously consider asking these sorts of questions on the cornsnake forum, as well. Nothing against Chaz, but the cornsnake folks are very well equipped to answer cornsnake questions.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.