I am beyond thrilled!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
So while I've been loving my time at the boarding place, they just didn't have enough hours and my hourly wage wasn't enough to do much of anything. Last week, pretty much on a wish and a whim, I grabbed a handful of resumés and went to go hit up Dealership Row.

Acura, Honda, Lexus, Mazda and Toyota all had some variation on "Fill this out/go online and apply/we'll keep your resumé on file." Who would have ever thought I'd have a reason to have my high school address memorized again?

Subaru was the last dealership in the strip and I was getting hungrier by the minute. It all started off the same, until I finished filling out the application and went to hand it over.

The general manager was the one I happened to hand the paperwork to and he took a quick glance and asked if I had a few minutes to chat. So we chatted. Then I talked to the sales manager (I got lucky and went out of order, LOL) and we chatted some more--he and his wife foster for Basset rescue and his wife does work with a few other local dog rescues, so we had a few things to talk about besides car sales.

At this point, I was just happy I had gotten some face time and a chance to make a personal impression, since on paper I don't come across as strongly as I'd like. The most I was hoping for was "we'll be in touch."

So imagine my intense surprise and overwhelming joy when the words "I'd like to offer you a job" came out of the sales manager's mouth. He explained there was a background check and the results would take up to a week, then the requisite drug test. They called me this morning to say the results were back of the background check were in and clear, so I just got back from doing the drug test.

I HAVE A REAL JOB! I START TUESDAY!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Now I am faced with the biggest dilemma of all.

WTF do I wear? o_O

I get two logo shirts, I have a couple pairs of slacks (definitely need to go buy some khakis)...and then I'm stuck. I've successfully avoided having to wear "office clothes" up until this point in any of my jobs and I'm having trouble with the idea of not being able to wear jeans all the time, LOL!

Yay!!! I'm sooo happy for you Zoom! Really really excited for you to start and so glad you got the job!

M&M's Mommy

Owned by 3 mutts
First of all, Congrats! :)

Are you a salewoman?? Then I'm afraid you'd have to wear suits/formal business attires... all the car salepersons I've encountered/seen so far always wear suit & ties or dress suit.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I'll be taking attire notes on Tuesday, but so far I think I'm about the only female sales staff, so I may have some leeway. I'm also trying to think up some type of "signature style".

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Skip the khakis. Khakis = retail wear.
Express has really nice pants, I loooooove their Illustrator cut, but they are expensive. I only own one pair that I was lucky enough to find on clearance. You should be able to find nice dress pants at places like TJ Maxx or Gordman's though... the majority of my office wardrobe has come from Gordman's. Like stuff I saw at other department stores and then went there to get for at least half price. =P

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Skip the khakis. Khakis = retail wear.
Express has really nice pants, I loooooove their Illustrator cut, but they are expensive. I only own one pair that I was lucky enough to find on clearance. You should be able to find nice dress pants at places like TJ Maxx or Gordman's though... the majority of my office wardrobe has come from Gordman's. Like stuff I saw at other department stores and then went there to get for at least half price. =P
I've got a pair of Editor's from Express and they are amazing. They still look new after 3 years of quite a bit of use!

I'll be hitting up TJ Maxx for sure.

Definitely good slacks -- and comfortable shoes that don't look comfortable. Invest in a couple of jackets that fit well that you can throw on over anything. The trick to working at a dealership is to look neat and prosperous, but not so prosperous that people think you're making too much on THEIR deal.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I was thinking a pair of boots similar to this...or knee highs, just because they'll help to keep my legs warmer, LOL. Bit of a heel for height, not going to slip off walking the lot or doing quick shifts in the STi. ;)

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I asked Brian's opinion on the clothes, since he's worked in dealerships for years and also sold cars for a time.

In his words, "Dress classy and like you're there for business, but flaunt what you've got." You're a pretty woman in what's typically a predominately male profession. Play on what you've got that the other sales associates don't, LOL. Dress professionally and tastefully, but in business wear that plays up your looks and femininity. Skirt suits and pants suits with heels are good. Be sure everything fits well and that you look put together.

Good luck on the job!

Members online

No members online now.