introducing cats?

Well I have been thinking latley. I may get another kitten/cat. Now I have Marley. who in one word is a plain B.... lol. She gets along fine with Blaze. desperatly stalks any other unfamilier dog who enters our house (which is often lol) Now I worry she may or may not get along with a new playmate/friend.

So how do you go about introducing cats? marley is my first and only kitty, so unlike dogs Im much much much more clueless to them lol.
Male or female? I was assuming male. which I dont mind getting.

young or older or olderrrr lol. I dont know.

I want a older cat, but Marley is very playful and Im sure would torment the poor thing. Id like a kitten just like the next person would, they are super cute. but then super bad with nails and sharp teeth lol.

So before I make my finally descision that I can live with for 15+ years, I think I need help lol

Maxy24

It really depends on the cat. If you want an older cat get an older cat, don't get yourself tormented by a kitten lol. You can find adults who are plenty playful you'll just have to look for it.

I was very nervous about introducing Willie (kitten) to Neko (2 year old) so kept him in a safe room for a week doing slow intros. One day my friend who had like 5 cats came over and asked why he was locked in the room. She made me take him out and we played with him. Neko watched. Willie, being a kitten, was SUPER focused on the toy so payed zero attention to Neko so Neko did a few mock charges that were ignored and then felt safe to follow Willie and sniff at him. By the end of the play session they were fine together lol.

With adult cats I'd say it will take longer and need to be more controlled. Letting them watch each other through a baby gate or something like that might be good.

Bailey08

I think it's awesome that you want an older cat -- everyone always wants the babies (including me, lol).

I have found girls to be b!tchier and boys to be sweeter. Mine have all been attention you-know-whats; one of the boys was probably the worst, but they have all been pretty demanding of attention (and, as per usual when it comes to cats, always on their terms).

I'd do a slow intro just like you would with dogs. You can switch them back and forth between rooms so they get used to the other's smell.

Maxy24

oh yeah, I meant to say I agree, a male would probably be best. Males get along fine with both sexes but females tend to be better with males. Not always by any means, but generally.

Paige

Let it be
I went by the no blood, no foul rule. My kitten just did her own thing. Ran around the house and explored. My older cat stalked her and would get closer. A week later they were fine laying on the same bed together and eating beside each other just so long as the kitten didn't try to play with her. That'd get the kitten a swift slap to the head and a hiss.

I'd say so long as neither are totally stressed out and no one is getting hurt leave them be unless you aren't there to supervise. Then split them up.

Members online

No members online now.