Overworking herself

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
The past couple of days at the park Mia has run herself until she's ended up puking. I've known a couple dogs that will overwork themselves but none that run until they puke. I'm wondering if this is even possible or maybe the puking is coming from something else instead? She's been running offleash at the park and she likes to go all out trying to kill butterflies so she spends the hour we're there running and jumping and spinning in the air (like a lunatic) It's been pretty consistent though the past few days that inevitably she makes herself sick.

CaliTerp07

Does she eat before she goes? Lucy has to have at least a few hours between eating and running, or she'll puke every time from over running.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
She eats long before but I do use treats to try to proof recall with her. Maybe I should lay off the treats a bit.

umterps97

Does she eat before she goes? Lucy has to have at least a few hours between eating and running, or she'll puke every time from over running.
This happens to Maya too. We try to take her before she has breakfast if we know she'll be running a lot. Although, one time, we took her when there was a little bit of ice and snow still on the ground....she ate so much snow that she puked, but she was considerate enough to do it before we got back in the car!

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Izzy inevitably pukes at the dog park no matter when we feed her but it's not a full out food coming up vomit. She just drinks so much water then keeps running that it has to come up somewhere. Is it complete meal regurge or is it white/clear foamy?

For Izzy it's usually just water coming up and I cant do much about her drinking from the water bowls in the park but I don't worry about it since no food is coming up.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Yeah she probably drinks a little too much to be running like that non-stop and the treats are in there with the water so they come up too. If you're worried about the treat chunks then minimizing treating at the park is a great idea.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Seconding what's been said! Finn has the same problem sometimes - drinks too much water, runs like a maniac, then it all comes up, along with the few treats I gave him for recalls.

Elle did this a few times when she was younger and didnt know when/how to calm down, usually when it was very hot though. We just started limiting her activity when it was very hot outside and now that she has gotten older and calmed down, she knows how to limit herself.

However, the puking up water after running and then drinking a lot CAN be a sign of a collapsed trachea, so it may be something to look into.

Members online