Puppy Must-Haves!

Red Chrome

I searched but couldn't find a thread like this. My search might be broken though.. lol

What are your favorite items for puppies? Collars, leashes, toys, crates etc. etc.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Nature's Maricle. And two truck loads of paper towels.

(Just cleaned up a pee mess. Can you tell? Lol)

Hmmm...The rope slip lead I bought from TSC is a godsend, especially during house training when we needed to get him outside quickly without hassle. Especially when leaning over him or trying to put a collar on him would get him excited and cause him to pee.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
If I had to do my puppy shopping over again and nix all the crap I didn't use/didn't like I would buy...

- Crate with 2 doors
- Kong (the red one not the puppy one)
- Collar (gun dog supply, tufflex with free nametag)
- Harness (Wiggles & Wags freedom harness, it's front clip but has a much better fit without rub or going across shoulders)
- Stuffed Toy: Egg baby (It's a stuffed toy with squeaky eggs hidden inside)
- Leash (lupine. They have a lifetime guarantee you can send back chewed leashes and get a new one FOH FREE!)
- Bitter apple
- Kennelsafe dog bowl (attaches to inside wire crate)
- Crate cover (mollymutt makes very pretty durable ones)
- Split antler
- Pryor clicker (it's black with a yellow button that's easy to click and wristband)
-Silicone collapsible pet bowl (my dog eats in 5 minutes and bowls don't need to hang around and need to be easy to travel with these are perfect!)
- Self-cleaning slicker brush (has a button you press that cleans hair out. godsend)
- Earthbath shampoo
- Zoomgroom rubber brush (merlin loves this and great for bath time)

Red Chrome

I need Nature's Miracle!! LOL Also a thinner rope slip lead. The one I have is too wide.

Awesome list Fran!! Thank you!
What harnesses are recommended? I would prefer a more traditional style and not a front clip.

If I had to do my puppy shopping over again and nix all the crap I didn't use/didn't like I would buy...

- Crate with 2 doors Have crate!
- Kong (the red one not the puppy one) Check!
- Collar (gun dog supply, tufflex with free nametag) Just ordered last night, LOL
- Harness (Wiggles & Wags freedom harness, it's front clip but has a much better fit without rub or going across shoulders) Looking for a more traditional style but definitely need a harness.
- Stuffed Toy: Egg baby (It's a stuffed toy with squeaky eggs hidden inside) I need one of these!
- Leash (lupine. They have a lifetime guarantee you can send back chewed leashes and get a new one FOH FREE!) hmm...I need to pick up one of these! I like lupine stuff!
- Bitter apple
- Kennelsafe dog bowl (attaches to inside wire crate) Check!
- Crate cover (mollymutt makes very pretty durable ones) I use Vari-Kennels in the house, no wire, do they make them for plastic?
- Split antler Need to buy some of these!
- Pryor clicker (it's black with a yellow button that's easy to click and wristband) Check!
-Silicone collapsible pet bowl (my dog eats in 5 minutes and bowls don't need to hang around and need to be easy to travel with these are perfect!) I have a set of these! Love them!
- Self-cleaning slicker brush (has a button you press that cleans hair out. godsend)
- Earthbath shampoo
- Zoomgroom rubber brush (merlin loves this and great for bath time)

AmandaNola

Wanna Pet My Wiener?
Nature's Miracle and paper towels
Sturdy collar, harness and leash
Clicker
Crate
Stainless steel bowls
Kong
Nylabones
ChillyBone (the one you wet and put in the freezer)
Camera!
Toothbrush
Nail clippers
Gentle puppy soap
Bitter apple, though it's hit or miss. Nola thought it was a treat
X pen
Kong Wubba
Split antler
Bully sticks
Retractable leash for late night potty breaks if you don't have a fence

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Small water bucket
split antler
Harness (I don't use front clip but I like one to help my dog not get in the habit of collar pulling)
X-pen
Soft toys
I prefer the StarMark clicker.
Oh, and a touch pad and anything weird to work puppy on.

Last edited:

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
To add to everyone else...

A YouTube playlist of loud sounds, preferably able to be played over a surround sound system. I still play random sounds during meals and training sometimes using our home theater set up.
Kong Wobbler/other food dispensing toys
Kong Wubbas (though the puppies destroyed the Snugga ones....)
Wobble boards/tippy planks/tunnels

As far as harnesses go, I was using a random mesh puppy harness I had lying around until he outgrew that. Now I just use a Comfortflex. And collars (mine are all on cloth martingales) are only used when he's on solo walks and I can really pay attention to and work on leash walking.

Torch

Everybody made good suggestions! One thing I've done that has been a godsend was having multiple kongs and hollow bones around. I mix peanut butter with plain or vanilla greek yogurt, stuff the kongs and bones, then freeze them. I always have some in the freezer (no waiting!) and they made crate time a breeze.

And baby gates. They are so awesome lol.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
This x10000000000000000000000. I didn't think I would need a baby gate being in a two room apartment...but two days after having Abrams I went and picked up a spare from Mom. LOL When Chloe was a puppy, I think we used anywhere from 3-4 at a given time for different parts of the house!

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Everybody made good suggestions! One thing I've done that has been a godsend was having multiple kongs and hollow bones around. I mix peanut butter with plain or vanilla greek yogurt, stuff the kongs and bones, then freeze them. I always have some in the freezer (no waiting!) and they made crate time a breeze.

Samesies on the bones!

Members online

No members online now.