Why Do Breeders Always Know Best?

stafinois

Professional Nerd
Honestly, the breeders who just let you pick with no input worry me.

My last three dogs were selected for me.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Mia was selected for me. I asked about a different (older) puppy but the breeder suggested Mia. It's been by far the best choice ever for me. Mia is pretty much the best thing in the world. ;)

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
I only have experience watching my family place hounds and working ACDs, and from what I saw, the people wouldn't have been able to pick on their own.

when they came, they had a list of what they were looking for. why would they know best how to pick a dog that they have just met and spent maybe an hour with, or a few hours over the course of a few days, non-consecutively, than the person who has just spent every waking hour with them for 12 weeks?

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I knew exactly what I wanted in my puppy.

The breeders were able to tell me which puppy fit what I wanted.

They were right.

Happily ever after.

If I was determined to pick my own pup...well I would have gone elsewhere I suppose. Wasn't so didn't.

Gypsydals

I knew exactly what I wanted in my puppy.

The breeders were able to tell me which puppy fit what I wanted.

They were right.

Happily ever after.

If I was determined to pick my own pup...well I would have gone elsewhere I suppose. Wasn't so didn't.
^THIS.
I know what I want.
I tell the breeder what I am looking for.
Breeder asked a few questions such as make a list of things you are looking for and put them in order of importance.
Breeder then picks a puppy that best fits my list. Or tells me she doesn't have what I'm looking for.
A good breeder KNOWS her puppies and puppy buyers and can pick out the best puppy that fits that owner.
Ivans breeder did a good job of matching him and I up that, I will be going back to her for a second dog. Which is totally common with this breeder to get repeat puppy people and even multiple repeat puppy buyers.

Dreizehn is my first dog and his breeder picked him for me.

I told her exactly what I wanted/needed personality wise, I told her what I was expecting to be doing in my life and with the dog. I told her that I wanted a black/rust male. With that information, his breeder picked him for me. Originally she was choosing between three dogs and having met all three I know that she made the right choice for me.

Now, if I was somebody who had spent years and years in the breed around many a puppy than maybe I would have asked if I could have some more specific input in choosing a puppy. But ultimately, unless I was spending multiple hours multiple days each week with the dogs how would I ever know which puppy fit what I was looking for?

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
I have two sight unseen dogs asleep on my bed. Both so different and yet both the perfect fit for our family. My breeder has been judging and breeding Paps for over 40 years. I think I might trust her a bit.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Now, if I was somebody who had spent years and years in the breed around many a puppy than maybe I would have asked if I could have some more specific input in choosing a puppy.
I guess to me even if the breeder wants to pick the pup for you, that doesn't prevent you from also quietly picking the pup for you if you wish to do that. If both picks match -- great! Done deal. If not, talk about it or walk away and try again elsewhere.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I guess to me even if the breeder wants to pick the pup for you, that doesn't prevent you from also quietly picking the pup for you if you wish to do that. If both picks match -- great! Done deal. If not, talk about it or walk away and try again elsewhere.
Exactly... Payton was more or less picked for me. When I went to meet him, it was not required that I take him with me. I could have walked away.
When I got Auggie, there were two males that his breeder felt would work great for me, and it was my choice which one to take - or, she reminded me, I could wait until the next time she bred. I didn't HAVE to take either boy.

It's not like if the breeder picks a dog for you and you just don't feel the connection or whatever that you're just stuck with the dog.

yoko

I've always wondered about this. I have always gone with the dog that 'clicked' with me. The problem is that even though I usually have a list of what I want/need in a dog both of my dogs have been pretty different than what the list suggested my dogs would be like. And thank God for that because they have both been what I needed and not what I thought I wanted.

Thankfully I'm a mutt person and shelters don't really force their choice on you. I really do have a few breeds that I've been interested in but if I go that route I will most likely go through a rescue where I have a little more choice.

That being said I do have quite a few friends who have let a breeder pick their puppy and all of them have been very happy with what they got. I've honestly never heard of a good breeder picking the wrong puppy for someone.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Personally, I want input on the puppy that I'm paying $1000+ for, that I'm not rescuing a dog in need for, and that I'm going to spend 15 years with! That's me though. Not to say that I wouldn't go with a pup that the breeder recommends for me... as long as I feel that puppy is right for me as well.

My Cardigan breeder, at the last minute, told me that my reserved for months puppy was going to the stud owner and offered me a pet quality black & white male. I wanted a show quality blue merle female! No thank you. I went and adopted Fozzie instead, and I'm glad I did. :) Then I noticed on her website a month later that the puppy that I was a week away from picking up turned out to be a BRINDLE merle, unshowable, so the stud owner gave her back and she was up for sale. It made me a little sad, because I would have kept her of course. But I feel it was just meant to be that I got Fozzie. I trust my instincts.

JacksonsMom

In the future, I'd love to have a breeder pick a dog for me, with my input too of course. But like it's already been said, I feel like if you are a good breeder, you know your pups better than anyone from raising them from the second they were born.

I realize how lucky I was to get Jackson. Looking back, I was so stupid. I don't even like to call her a "breeder" haha - because she literally just bred her pet dog and sold them in the classifieds section, and did not ask about anything about me and my life. She was nice and all, but a complete BYB.

I think about if I had ended up with a dog that just completely did not mesh with me at ALL. I probably would have been ruined from dog ownership forever, being as he was my first dog on my own haha. Basically though I realize how darn lucky I was to get the best dog I could have asked for under the circumstances... in the future I can't wait to work with a breeder in choosing a puppy, and seeing what it's like to have that support behind me too for the rest of the pups life.

Members online

No members online now.