Scary episode with Dekka.. need ideas.

Dekka

Just try me..
So Dekka wasn't quite herself. Snarked at Dash. Sat and gave me the strangest stare. Hubby got her up on the chair with him and she started to shake. BIG all over shakes.

He put her down and there was something obviously wrong. Her back was hunched, her tail was tucked down and to the side and rigid. She kept standing there picking up one back leg and extending and flexing the leg repeatedly but not touching the floor. Then she switched to the other leg. I was ready to go wake the vet up. When her tail wagged and she started to move. She started out walking very wide behind with little joint flexion, and then was fine. Hungry, happy, waggy normal..

So I didn't take her to the vet (no symptoms to show and no obvious pain when her back and hips were checked). Pinched nerve? Muscle spasm? Anything I should be careful of and/or watch for? ATM she is not being allowed to jump or do stairs. LOL at least we are trying our best. She is also wearing her Back on track coat in case its muscle.

I was first really scared as it looked similar to when she was kicked in the head. The hunchy, the shaking and the weird stiff legged gait so I was worried it could be neurological.. but I don't think that would have gotten better in a few min.

Dekka

Just try me..
Its possible but she was still really with it. And she was moving funny even after she was back to oh yay peoples. I am leaning to no.. but thats a really good thought to keep in mind.

She is EXHAUSTED now.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Partial seizures often manifest as conscious but shaking. That would be my first guess tbh especially with the repetitive leg motions.

Dekka

Just try me..
Maf is here.. she says (from her paramedic training) it didn't look like a seizure do to there being too many symptoms. Also she seemed in control of the leg movements, they didn't seem involuntary.

I will be keeping this as a possibility though to talk to my vet about.

Unfortunately Dekka doesnt' show pain. Even when she was kicked in the head and had a broken (at both ends) cheek bone she was fine with the vet poking it and having it handled. She is stoic to the max.. So we can't rule out pain sadly.

Dekka

Just try me..
And at the time we didn't think to take her heart rate... (which would indicate pain)

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Possibly. I still think it looked like pinched nerve/ back pain.. but am happy for Kerri to get as many ideas as she can from people. Hopefully it never reoccurs, but if it does.. Dekka does a lot of flying high leaps and other 'stupid' stuff with lack of concern for her well being..

Looked like a myotome issue between L1-L4 possibly as both back legs were affected equally as well as her tail. Being so stoic, I massaged her back for a while and down both hips.. Possible feeling of a little heat in her lower back, but she's still got her mohawk, it's cold out.. and she's so stoic she could lose a limb and I don't think she'd flinch..

When Smudge sees the chiro, if it's been a 'bad' month where he's been reckless.. you can tell, sensitive parts of his back he flinches at. Dekka would never tell you..

Romy

Taxiderpy
Hoping it's just a back issue that some chiropractic can clear up. Strider has seizures, though they're under control now thanks to Mordy and her awesome nutritionist awesomeness.

It sounds exactly like one of Strider's seizures. During his last cluster he even lost control of his rear. I was terrified it wasn't going to come back, but it did. It also seemed to affect his vision during and for a few days afterward.

The halos they experience before/during/and after an episode can make them act really wonky. Strider gets really frightened and defensive and acts very out of character when it happens (thank goodness he's been seizure free for months now though)

Dekka

Just try me..
Thanks for the ideas. Dekka seems normal today.. well as normal as my little dog gets. I am still trying to keep her quiet, not jump excessively, carried her down the stairs etc. I am taking her with me today when I go out and about to do things just in case...

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
please please look into seizures. with the head injury recently and all , the exhaustion was the telling sign for me in the story , i know human seizures and dog ones are diffrent , but caleb can talk to you during a partial seizure , you will know something is wrong but you can lead him around before he goes into a full grand mal. the rigid limbs and rhythmic and exhaustion , scream neuro.

Dekka

Just try me..
The head injury wasn't recent though. It was about a year ago I think now. Will definitely be keeping a very close eye on her.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Vibes from us too~ reads like a seizure. but it is hard to tell without seeing what happened. Scary

elegy

overdogged
If she does it again, really try to get it on video! That will be a big help to the vet.

Fingers crossed it was a once and done thing.

Members online