'Where did you get them?'

Kimbers

I get it all the time, often followed by "I gotta get me one of those!"
Which is weird, because both dogs are from rescues and are either mutts or horrible representations of their breed.

monkeys23

I get it all the time, often followed by "I gotta get me one of those!"
Which is weird, because both dogs are from rescues and are either mutts or horrible representations of their breed.
Funny, thats how I ended up with the second one! I warned her... :rofl1:

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Fran is a liar liar pants on fire.
When average people ask me where I got Romeo, I tell them he was adopted.

Which, technically he was (he was a breeder re-home) but still. I lied to one person once really early on and she was like "I thought there were only big ugly dogs at the shelter! He is so sweet and cute! I think we will go take a look" and I saw her a few weeks later and she was so proud to show off her new little adopted dog.

ever since then.. I've just kept at it. I don't DIRECTLY say he is from the shelter, I just hint around it lol
Rome's breeder doesn't need the PR and shelter sure could use it. and I know if I just say "breeder" average joe will run off to a BYB soo.. I lie.

If dog people ask I will give the name/where she is state wise.

With aussie puppy I will just tell people the truth breeder wise but there is just something about chihuahuas and the CONCENTRATION of chihuahua BYBs and chis in the shelter that just made lying kind of feel..right.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Yes. About rosey and the ferrets.

The "are they expensive" question, I usually answer with "well, it costs me (insert amount here) to feed them each month, plus this and this and this..."

Lyzelle

Yeah. Or close enough, anyway.

"IS THAT A WOLF?!"
"What kind of dog IS THAT?!"
"OMG HE IS SO PRETTYYY!"
"Where can I get one? He's so SWEET."

I generally tell them there are plenty in the shelter because people take those pretty dogs at face value and don't realize the demon within until it's too late.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
I just say I got Izzie from someone who didn't want her anymore as a puppy. Which is the truth but I don't tell them I got her from the paper because I doubt the public's ability to filter ads.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
For the dobes and Revy I usually just say "from a breeder in Illinois"

For Talla.... I get to say "from Mexico!" ...and then I get to talk about Mexidogs and why everyone should get one. ;)

monkeys23

"IS THAT A WOLF?!"
Ah, classic! :rolleyes: I've had people actually argue with me that Scout MUST be a wolf. Also had people ask if she's a Terv. And one guy who scared her (he was creepy interested in her) was really skeezy in asking if she was purebred GSD.

Maxy24

Yeah, usually I take it mean they want to know if he is from a rescue/shelter or from a breeder.

More often though I'll just get asked "is he a rescue dog" or some variation of that after I say he is fearful. People seem to think that must have caused his problems. So I always say "yes but he was born and raised in a foster home so he was not poorly treated or anything, he just has bad genes"

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I've gotten this question a bunch of times, and I never quite know how to answer it. I usually just say "from a breeder, and they cost a good bit" or "they costed enough." lol. After that, people tend to back off and not ask specifics.

A while back Ian and I were walking a couple of the dogs around a shopping plaza after a trip to Petsmart, and it was dark out at the time. Some shady looking guy asked us where we bought our dogs, and how much we paid for them because they "looked expensive." It made me REALLY uncomfortable. I just said we bought them for breeders and they cost a good bit. He tried to pry more, but we walked away and left.

One of our neighbors asked if he could buy Tucker, which was also odd.

To me, it's strange when non-dog people ask these questions. I've had people on here send me PMs asking about their breeders and cost, which I have no issues with giving out. It's also something we've talked about at herding lessons, but when you're surrounded by dog people the information is easier to give out.

elegy

overdogged
Interestingly, not all that often. Once in awhile by dog sport people, but by the general public, hardly at all. The general public frequently seems scared of Border Collie ownership, which I'm ok with.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Interestingly, not all that often. Once in awhile by dog sport people, but by the general public, hardly at all. The general public frequently seems scared of Border Collie ownership, which I'm ok with.
It seems like everyone has a Border collie here, and a lab. It amazes me. Then again most are HobNob and that doesn't. lol

Taqroy

I don't get it very often and it's usually aimed at Mu. I think that's probably because she ends up at a lot of adoption events (as a demo dog) and people want to know if she's up for adoption so they ask all kinds of questions. I usually say we got her from a friend of a friend of a friend, which is easier than trying to explain that my cousin's girlfriend's sister's dogs had an oops litter and we got the last pup. I've never had anyone ask how much she cost though - she was a good deal too, only $100. :p

I've gotten it a couple times about Tipper. I usually say she's from a small rescue in Kansas. People are aghast at how much we paid for her - $275.

monkeys23

It seems like everyone has a Border collie here, and a lab.
Oh yeah everyone here has either Labs, BC's, or ACD's. Thats about it. Some other bird dogs like GSP's, but primarily Labs, BC's, and cowdogs of some flavor.

THe large boxer community here surprises me. Its kinda cool!

Members online

No members online now.