Vibes for Rosey?

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
No sooner do I finish posting photos of yesterday, I get a text from Jess that Rosey's at the e-vet. Apparently she took a tumble down the stairs last night and isn't walking today. :( :(

Vibes for her and Rosey? I'm sure she'll update, or I will if I hear anything.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Woops, whew. She started walking when they got to the vet, she hd some bad muscle atrophy due to her arthritis. She has pain killers now. I was so worried!

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Thanks guys <3

So yah, last night/early hours of this morning, Rosey tried to go upstairs and fell. I didn't think anything of it, because it happens often enough that we don't think twice about it. (it's not all the way down, just a mis-step and slip a few stairs)

Just before 7am this morning, my sister wakes me up saying "Rosey is freaking out, I think it's her leg". So I get up and go downstairs, and she's obviously sore, but I can get her to get up and walk and go outside to do her business. Now, Rosey is and always has been a huge drama queen, so I figured she was just milking it, get her laying down and go back to bed.

Wake up for work around 10:30, come downstairs and she just isn't moving. Won't get up to her leash, won't get up to promises of car rides. Nothing. My brother comes down, sees me upset, and tries to help me get her up. At this point I wanted some sign that she wasnt paralyzed. We try for 10ish minutes, by this time we are both upset, talking about going to the vet, so I go wake up my mom.

She tries, to no avail, to get her up and walking, so I called my vet, who said they could get me in tomorrow morning. Told them forget it, I'll take her to the emergency vet. We gt her on a blanket and carry her to the car. Of course, by the time we get her in there, she's all "OMG NEW PLACE" and walking just fine :rolleyes:

I ended up having to call out of work as a family emergency, and of course no one else was answering their phone to go in, but I'm assuming somebody did cause I haven't received a call.

Get in to see the vet, who notes she has muscle atrophy in her back end, but she is aware where her back end is. Ended up with a diagnosis of arthritis in her back legs, possibly in her hip, and she tweaked something as she fell. ***the vet does NOT believe hiking yesterday played into it in terms of the injury -- he believes it was the fall that did it, and was quite impressed that I don't just blow her off due to age and take her places with me***

On a NSAID for 5 days to help with pain and inflammation. He mentioned we could, down the road, X-ray hips and legs to see how bad the arthritis is, but he wouldn't jump to it now, since it would mean anesthesia.

We're home now and exhausted, but she's going to be ok :) I was impressed with how much the rest of the family really stepped up -- my dad even noticed this morning and called to see how she was, and my brother paid for half of the appointment (despite knowing I had some money to pay for it)

ETA: holy wall of text, batman

JessLough

Love My Mutt
She's so sore, it's really sad to see :( Then again, she's likely also milking it for all it's worth.

I'll be glad once the meds kick in for her

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I let her lay down from when we got home until now... bad idea. Getting her back up was painful for her, and I wouldn't be surprised if AC or the police show up at my house after somebody calls them. Plan is to bug her every hour or so and have her walk around and then switch sides.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
She's on the couch now, my dad gave up his spot on the couch for her (seriously, he doesn't give up that spot for ANYBODY. This is huge. LOL) right in front of the A/C, so she's laying all comfy now.

We really have no room for a raised bed. :( The bed she has is an orthopedic bed and super comfy (and super in the way as it is) -- she just decided to lay on her bad leg last time.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Thanks! <3 Yah, she's way too energetic for her poor old bones.

My "boss" was going to come give me **** for calling out of work Monday when it happened, something about I should have planned it for the morning, not the afternoon. (Cause we plan emergencies...) However, she decided to tell my dad first, and he ripped her a new one so she was too chicken to come say anything to me, probably cause she knows I would have just walked out. Not sure what all he said.. but "our dog is part of our FAMILY. She's just like a human family member, only better. You do NOT try and tell my daughter that her job is more important than her dog, or you'll learn real fast that NOTHING is more important than that dog."

...when I was asked to come work for them, I told them my pets come first. You think she would have learned :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.