Going back to raw.

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
Sierra's been on kibble for the last 5 months, and I've got a freezer full that is waiting for her to eat. I might just to 1/2 right now, raw in the morning, kibble at night (until we've used the rest), but I'm just so SICK of her coat! Man does she suffer on kibble, no matter how good we've chosen. Shedding, shedding EVERYWHERE!

We've got a mix of everything in the freezer - pre-made, random meats, etc. We just don't have organs. I'll rely on pre-made that I've got for now, and try to ease back. Our own grocery bills have been astronomical with my diet change, so finding a way to do raw for her CHEAPLY, will be key. It's a good thing I know she loves chicken backs, and can find those easily!

Anyways, no real point of this other than to announce this, hoping I can hold myself to it because now I have to be accountable for telling you guys ;)

The real trick will be trying to get Buddy off kibble. He used to be the kind of cat that ate anything, no question, but he's become a kibble addict. More dangerous for a cat than a dog :(

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
YAY! Sierra will be so happy :D

I had mine on raw for 6-8 months and switched back to kibble... the differences were SO noticiable. They've been back on raw now for almost a year, and they will be on it for the rest of their lives (unless something happens where we need to feed kibble!).

Rory used to eat his kibble so slowly and wouldn't even finish it most of the time... now, he licks his bowl completely clean. LOL. They LOVE raw.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I'm with you guys about seeing DRAMATIC changes when switching to kibble... Gonzo got HGE, and Fozzie got a baseball sized tumor and badly chipped molar (I gave them hooves, feeling bad about depriving them of raw bones) in just 6 months of feeding kibble. :( That's only like $5000 in Vet bills! I learned my lesson.

Sierra will be so happy & you'll see improvements right away. It's crazy, because I really never thought you'd be feeding kibble. LOLz, I remember you posting all over the Livejournal Raw community, always asking questions and helping me with my raw questions before you even had a dog!

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
I'm with you guys about seeing DRAMATIC changes when switching to kibble... Gonzo got HGE, and Fozzie got a baseball sized tumor and badly chipped molar (I gave them hooves, feeling bad about depriving them of raw bones) in just 6 months of feeding kibble. :( That's only like $5000 in Vet bills! I learned my lesson.

Sierra will be so happy & you'll see improvements right away. It's crazy, because I really never thought you'd be feeding kibble. LOLz, I remember you posting all over the Livejournal Raw community, always asking questions and helping me with my raw questions before you even had a dog!
Oh LJ, I haven't been on in AGES! I never thought I'd feed kibble, I'm a big raw supporter, but things happen. I am glad to see the differences on Sierra though, to really support how I felt from the get go!

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I haven't been on LJ for years either!!! But for some reason, I totally remember the name 'vanillasugar'. Haha! You gave me some great advice I remember. I hope Raw dogs is still there, it's such a wealth of information. I wanna go check it now.

I agree, kibble isn't evil, and it's not like you didn't feed a quality kibble... but raw is so rewarding and enriching for both you & your dogs, and it's worth the hassle, even if you aren't feeding it ALL the time. Especially when you notice the differences in your dogs. The biggest difference is Fozzie. I feed him 1/2 cup of kibble a day, literally, and he's a 45 lb dog - he is a flabby chub (at least in my eyes). On raw, he's instantly svelte and robust and he can eat a whole pound a day! It's crazy to see the change.

Members online