Nikon or Canon

aivzdog

What do you like better?

I used both.
I love my Nikon D40 so I think I like Nikons better.
But they are both great cameras.

Anna

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
I prefer and own Nikon. But, if I was looking for a P&S, I'd get a Canon before a Nikon. I like Nikon's DSLRs, but can't stand their Coolpix collection.

Pam111

I have the film Canon Rebel 2000 and the digital Canon Rebel GT. I love them both. I've never owned a higher quality NIkon--just the Coolpix.

Saje

Island dweller
I've used both a lot. The Canon Rebel and Nikon D40 are quite similar in how they work. I can take the same kind of pictures with both. But I like the feel of the nikon more. It's just personal preference. My old publisher is a die hard Canon fan and even though he knew my d70 was a decent camera he'd never own one lol

Toller_08

I prefer and own Nikon. But, if I was looking for a P&S, I'd get a Canon before a Nikon. I like Nikon's DSLRs, but can't stand their Coolpix collection.

I have to agree with that. I love my Nikon DSLR, but there's no way I'd buy a Nikon P&S.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Seconded.

I own a Nikon D40 which I LOVE, but I'm saving for a Canon Powershot, because I want a P&S. Just a decent camera, I can carry around in my pocket, when I don't want to lug the big girl around. :p

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I adore my Nikon D50, but am looking at probably the Canon Coolshot as my P&S for the reasons the others have stated.

Chewbecca

feel the magic
Do cameras say what kind they are on them? I mean, not the brand (I know they say the brand on them) but would a Nikon say like, "Nikon D40" or "Nikon D60" on it?

I ask because my in-laws bought a really NICE Nikon digital camera last year and it cost them a lot of money, but I haven't gotten the opportunity to really look at it, so I'm not sure WHAT kind it is. I was going to see if they'd let me borrow it (I'm going to BEG them) so that I can see if I can get some good action shots of Ella and the boys since my camera isn't taking the best action shots. Their camera isn't a point and shoot, it actually has lenses and stuff for it.

Does Nikon require special software to upload pics onto the computer? My camera doesn't, it's automatically recognized by my computer and I never put software on my computer (well, it didn't come with any, anyway and I bought it from a camera store).

I have a Nikon. I liked my first one just fine. This one sucks engorged donkey balls. Hardcore. I wish I could trash it but alas don't have enough cash to buy another digital camera. So I must suffer with sub-par photography *sigh*

PS: All of the professional photographers I know use Canons. I should have listened to them . . .

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
Do cameras say what kind they are on them? I mean, not the brand (I know they say the brand on them) but would a Nikon say like, "Nikon D40" or "Nikon D60" on it?

I ask because my in-laws bought a really NICE Nikon digital camera last year and it cost them a lot of money, but I haven't gotten the opportunity to really look at it, so I'm not sure WHAT kind it is. I was going to see if they'd let me borrow it (I'm going to BEG them) so that I can see if I can get some good action shots of Ella and the boys since my camera isn't taking the best action shots. Their camera isn't a point and shoot, it actually has lenses and stuff for it.

Does Nikon require special software to upload pics onto the computer? My camera doesn't, it's automatically recognized by my computer and I never put software on my computer (well, it didn't come with any, anyway and I bought it from a camera store).
my new Nikon D60 has a label on it. It also came with software for computer--although I haven't used that yet (have I-photo and that works fine). I am loving my Nikon--and it takes great pics without too much effort (although I want to learn how to really use it). I looked at Canon and Nikon--all the reviews I saw recommended the Nikon over a Canon SLR.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I have a Nikon. I liked my first one just fine. This one sucks engorged donkey balls. Hardcore. I wish I could trash it but alas don't have enough cash to buy another digital camera. So I must suffer with sub-par photography *sigh*

PS: All of the professional photographers I know use Canons. I should have listened to them . . .
What are you using?

RD

Are you dead yet?
Hate to sound like an echo, but I agree with RedHotDobe and others - adore Nikon's digital SLRs, but Canon has the better P&S cameras (imo).

I haven't had the chance to really use a Canon SLR to its full potential, but considering I've already made an investment in Nikon via lenses... Unless Nikon fails to provide what I need for photography, I don't think I'll be switching anytime soon.

Randomly, I've had my D70 for almost 4 years and it's still going strong. And I take a lot of pictures. I mean a lot...

darkchild16

We are Home.
I LOVE my Canon SLR, Its amazing but from what I have noticed there are very few differences between the two in Quality just in features. But I have the film and digital Canon Rebel EOS.

Chewbecca

feel the magic
Ok, my in-laws have a Nikon D40, but they have 3 lenses for it.
My father-in-law will be bringing it over this friday for me to use.

He doesn't use half the features on it, but he has taken AWESOME pics with it.

I want good action shots. And I want to be able to take pics that I don't have to manipulate so much in gimp to make them look good.
Will I be able to achieve this with the Nikon D40?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Outdoor, bright natural light is obviously going to work the best for getting action shots. If you don't want to screw with a lot of settings, then just set it to either Auto or Sports. I got some awesome tubing pictures with Sports because it allows for a photoburst.

My action shots usually get taken on the S-priority setting, with the shutter speed at around 500 or so, depending on light. Auto-focus.

Chewbecca

feel the magic
But I'll definitely be able to get better action shots on a Nikon D40 on the most basic setting, than I would say, a regular P&S camera, right?

Members online

No members online now.