dog smells like a septic tank

bcjake

Our Aussie got out of the fence today and was picked up by animal control (a better alternative than being hit by a car). He's back and safe. Problem is, he ran through a creek or something and now smells like he's been playing in a septic tank. LIke most Aussies, he's got a real thick coat and has been given a couple of baths tonight. He does smell better, but still stinks. We don't have the luxery of putting him in the garage or another part of the house (small house). Outside isn't much of an option til I fix the fence (which I think I know where's getting out). What can I do to get him to smell like a dog again and not like a big furry turd? The only dog shampoo I have right now is Hartz flea & tick oatmeal. We've got some people shampoo, but that's about it.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Do you have some Dawn? It's not the greatest, but if you keep it out of his eyes, it will work well to get his coat clean.

Aussie Red

Rebel With Cause
if you have any rosemary in your spice cupboard boil it and cool it rinse his hair in it. I use fresh rosemary for my dogs rinse and they smell herbal for weeks. I t is good for their coats too. They use it in many hair products.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Yup, I agree with Zoom about the Dawn, but follow it up with some conditioner since it sucks the oil out of the skin.

bcjake

He got another bath and smells more like a dog. A half bottle of febreeze later and our house doesn't smell like a diaper pail. Only thing now is that our Explorer smells, but leaving the windows down since early this morning took care of that.

Needless to say, his new nickname is "stinky", which goes well with our other dog's nickname, "skid mark". Let me explain that one... yeah, our other dog is brown, but when he runs and tries to stop, he usually skids across whatever surface he's on. In the dirt, he leaves skid marks.

wookie130

LOL @ Stinky and Skidmark.

My Golden Retriever, Melvin, can relate to both nicknames, believe me.

The Dawn thing (or Ivory dishsoap) works very well for extreme stinkiness. Glad to hear he's smelling more "doggie"!!!

Dizzy Girl

I only recommend Dawn for extreme cases because it is very drying, but, for very stinky dogs I recommend Dawn Odor Eraser with a splash of lime. It works like magic. The reason I don't recommend Dawn or any dish soap often is because it does something to the coat that makes makes the dog not as shiny if you use it too often. HTH!:)

squirtsmom

I know you were serious, but when I saw the reference to the big furry turd, it just cracked me up. I am still laughing.

I loooooove using Dawn, esp on those greasy little yorkies and greasy cocker ears. But another real good destinkifer is using a rinse made of vinegar and water (1 to 1 parts). Leave it on for about 10 minutes (keep your dog from licking it off!) and then rinse, follow up with a shampoo. And be CAREFUL using Hartz, ESP their flea products, I have seen MANY dogs that have SEVERE reactions to Hartz, it is a very poorly made product. Check out www.Hartzvictims.org. Its more focused on the Advanced Flea and Tick drops (the spot-on treatment, like Frontline) but I would be weary of using any product from them!

Members online

No members online now.