What does a reputable breeder do if...

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Well said, Showpug. I tend to agree, although in the Breeders experience that I am talking about, I think it was okay for her to do it that one time. If she made a habit of it, I would question her breeding practices greatly.

I was just playing devil's advocate a tad. ;)

Thank you for being informative and polite. :)

showpug

Well said, Showpug. I tend to agree, although in the Breeders experience that I am talking about, I think it was okay for her to do it that one time. If she made a habit of it, I would question her breeding practices greatly.

I was just playing devil's advocate a tad. ;)

Thank you for being informative and polite. :)
No problem. I don't see a problem with an add once in a blue moon under certain circumstances with proper screening etc. I just wouldn't do it myself. :)

T

tessa_s212

I'm going to share a little bit about my experience of "before purebred dogs".

As a child, we had a dog here and there. Gus was a chihuahua cross that we got from the pound. He died of old age. Then there was Penny, a cock-a-poo that my parents bought - and promptly sold when she repeated pooped in the house (my mother couldn't handle that). I tried to tell her, at twelve years of age and knowing nothing about dogs other that that I LOVED them, that Penny was too young to know that she had to go outside. Mom didn't listen and resold her (ACK).

My next dog was a BC from the humane society - I was 14. Lady was a great dog, housetrained when we got her. She was my best friend. I did everything with her, told her my secrets, walked her, trained her, brushed her, loved her. She slept on my bed. We had no idea about crates. Lady managed to get out of our yard after two years, and we never did find her, even after putting ads in the paper, and regularly checking the SPCA.

Then there was life without dogs in our home. BUT, I made friends with every dog in the neighbourhood. Loved them, walked them, played with them, cried on their shoulders. There was one neighbour with a black lab named Duke. Duke was awesome, and I was with him as a teenaged as much as I possibly could be.

I grew up never knowing about puppy mills, never knowing about Breeders... when my parents did look for a dog, it was in the paper. But then, there was no internet back then either.

When I was 30-something, I was finally in a place to get a dog again. This time I wanted a Rottie. But, there are so many BYB Rottie's around here - I still didn't know that this was "bad", but I knew that with a breed as powerful as the Rottie, that I wanted a dog from someone who had been breeding for awhile, that knew their dogs and the temperaments they produced. That is when I was introduced to the world of the reputable breeder. I read, I researched, and read some more - learning and learning and learning. I soaked it all in like a sponge. All the myths I had learned from a child disappeared and I learned a new truth - the truth about reputable breeders, BYBs, and puppy mills. I ended up not getting a Rottie - I found the Tervuren.

My point is that there are a whole lot of GOOD people out there that DON'T KNOW. How many people on this board got their puppies from a BYB or a pet store, and now realize that was what it was? We don't call them bad for getting a puppy - but we are happy that they are here, and that they are learning! And that maybe they can help their friends and neighbours, or maybe even someone else that visits this board NOT make that purchase when THEY look at that cute puppy in a pet store.

I don't advertise litter plans or upcoming litters in the newspaper - but I do in my breed club newsletter, and I have only every advertised a puppy in the paper that ONE time that I talked about originally. That was extreme circumstances - my mother was DYING!
Excellent post.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
I agree Tessa, That was a great post. I know that when I 1st came here, I had NOOOO clue about all this in-depth BYB stuff. I knew that Puppymillers were bad, and that we should steer clear, but I never even thought about where petstore dogs came from....I never knew that not having your dog spayed could give her cancer, I didn't know HALF of what I know now. And I always thought that I was one of the most dog-savvy people. lol! :D I thought a breeder, was a breeder. I didn't know about "reputable breeders." I figured that if you had a litter of puppies, raised them with love, and found loving homes for them, that you were a good breeder. I didn't know about not mixing dogs, or getting your dogs tested, or showing before breeding. I thought dog shows were just a fun thing to do with your dog, like Agility. When I came here I had just lost my BEST FRIEND. A Silky Terrier named Princess. We bred her 3 times in the 6yrs we had her. They were great experiences, and I still remember each puppy, and all the homes they went to. Her 1st litter was with a JRT, her second with a Yorkie, and her 3rd with a Yorkie. We didn't know any better...would I ever take it back? No...Not for the world. Would I do it again if I could start all over? Yes. But would I do it in the future, or advise someone to do the same? NO WAY! I agree very much with Spiritus, that there are SO many people that just DON'T KNOW! I know I didn't! And I've not even been here that long! I don't have anything against uneducated people, it's people who know EXACLTY what they are doing, and just don't care that really get me....

wolfsoul

I Love My Belgian
The first two litters my co-breeder had, she had overflowing waiting lists. When the pups were halfway ready to leave, almost everyone on the lists cancelled -- they changed their minds, they found another puppy, they decided on a different breeder, etc. What was she going to do? Keep 8puppies?

I think it's a pretty perfect world for every single reputable breeder to magically have homes lined up in every situation. What if everyone on your waiting list cancels? What if some people on your waiting list wanted show puppies but there were none? What if it just so happened that you had a "freaky" litter and these puppies needed VERY special homes that were not on the list? What if an ultrasound told you 5 puppies and you had 14?

Word of mouth is no different than advertising in a newspaper. Advertisement is advertisement. You can find good people and bad people either way. You can accept people or turn them down either way. People will call you either way. The only difference is that you are likely to generate more interest from a newspaper -- and in the case of a puppy that needs a very special home, the more interest the more likely you are to find that special home.

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
Word of mouth is no different than advertising in a newspaper. Advertisement is advertisement. You can find good people and bad people either way. You can accept people or turn them down either way. People will call you either way. The only difference is that you are likely to generate more interest from a newspaper -- and in the case of a puppy that needs a very special home, the more interest the more likely you are to find that special home.
I cannot tell you how many people especially those in their 40s on up know what they want but do not know where to find it. Yes for you and me its easy we know where to begin to look. For others its not so easy so they settle for less many times. I cannot tell you how many times I have been told, "if I knew about you before buying my dog I would have gotten one from you instead".
They got a pup with no guarantee, no health clearances on parents ect ect.
We take it for granted.
Now wrap your mind around this.
Lets say you put an ad out for a litter. You have 2-3 available that people backed out on or whatever. You get 20 calls. Out of that 20 four know about health clearances and what they are looking for in a pup and breeder but didnt know where to go. Then out of that 16 you have those who dont want to pay the higher price for the pup. Or Had no idea what Health clearances were, what the titles meant ect.....You have an opportunity to educate them why your pups are more valuable and what they should be looking for and why. So thats 16 people left and you probably got 6 of them thinking about what you said. 4 of them who agree. and 6 who could care less. At least you planted a seed that may grow. You may not have sold one pup to any of the 20 callers. Look at the bright side. You had the opportunity to educate those who were willing to hear.
Thats quite a concept isnt it?
Advertising doesnt make you a bad breeder. Its what you do with it that does.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
i dont get this

so wat ure saying is, if you could do it again, you would still breed mixe's???
Yes, but not in the way you stated it. Would I ever do it again in the future? NO. I don't agree with breeding mixes purposfully, but I was uneducated then, and the puppies produced are all in wonderful loving homes. I have one too. If you're asking if I'd do it again? Yes, but in the context of "If I could do it all over again". Not the context of "If I could do it again tomorrow."

Chrissy&B

Okay here's an example. http://www.clynalwin.co.uk/clynalwin_for_sale.htm This is a very good and reputable UK breeder where I am planning to get my next pup (next year that is :) ) from. Her dogs are very successful in the ring and also great family dogs ....... they select breeding combination very carefully and all the dogs are tested for any hereditary diseases. The breeder told me that she usually has a waiting list, but pups are not really reserved until they're born. Unfortunately many people from the list don't want or need a pup anymore, so thank god she has a web site where anyone seriously interested in a breed might see her dogs and available pups. :)

Delisay

This is very simple logical slip that many people make...

Just because many irresponsible breeders avertise, it does NOT logically follow that all breeders who advertise are irresponsible. Not an ounce of logic in that, so cast your fears aside and advertise at will!
(It's like saying that because many tall people have brown hair, then all people with brown hair are tall!)

In fact, I think it would be responsible if more good breeders advertised, so as to make the public aware that they have options. Hiding from the general public is what causes so many ordinary folk to buy shoddy dogs from shoddy people - because they have no way of knowing about the better ones.

Del.

RD

Are you dead yet?
One thing i'm not sure of, that some of the breeders here may be able to clarify - is it a normal practice to promise puppies to people before the litter is born?

I know some breeders who take deposits on a certain litter before the puppies even arrive, only to refund deposits to the people who were hoping for a puppy but didn't get one because there weren't enough/not the right gender etc. I personally would rather just get a long waiting list and take deposits after I know what I have . . . But maybe that's not the "right" way to do things?

wolfsoul

I Love My Belgian
One thing i'm not sure of, that some of the breeders here may be able to clarify - is it a normal practice to promise puppies to people before the litter is born?
I will guarantee puppies under the condition that the litter is right (ie right sexes, temperaments match okay, etc), but I won't accept deposits. Most breeders take deposits and I think the only glamour behind it is the non-refundable part. It's best to wait until the pups are atleast 8 weeks before deciding if they can even go to whatever home wants them. You can't look at a pregnant dog and say "There will be 4 show puppies and 5 pet puppies."

bubbatd

I only advised those on waiting list when the pups were whelped . I only took deposits from people who wanted to be assured they'd get a pup . I wasn't after $$$ in my pocket , just the perfect homes for my pups . That's why I don't like selling and buying over the internet. Of course they want deposits and don't know who the h*ll you are.

Members online

No members online now.