My wife's Dog, Jack

nkthen

Mine happens a few years ago.

My wife's dog, Jack has been in her family for nearly 8 years.

My first encounter with Jack was a little dramatic (skip this part) but I can see how loyal Jack was to my wife's family.

Alas, age has caught up with him and he has to be put to sleep because of the various diseases that comes with old age. :(

Ever since then, my wife's family decided not to have another dog because they are scared of losing a dog again.

It's hard to convince them to own a dog because the pain is just so hard. Till now, it's still the same...

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i think of it as a link in the chain of love. Another dog binds the loves of the past to the person that loves them so and then the new dog keeps that love alive and full of laughter, fun and solace too.all connected. If i hadn't Victor now my heart would still be falling apart over my last dog. Doesn't diminish my love for him at all, just allows it to blossom and thrive again.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Well, my mom was the same way! she did not want to get another dog because of the emotional bond that they had with my other dogs. But now that we have Chloe and they just love and adore her.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Sorry to hear about Jack. My father-in-law is the same way. He won't get another pet because he doesn't want to go through the loss again.

nkthen

This is one thing about older generations.... They don't want to be hurt again and we must understand from their point of view...

bubbatd

It's only natural... but I feel the hurt at the end is worth the love while alive. " It's better to have loved and lost...than never to have loved at all ". A friend of mine grieved over the loss of her beloved lab for 2 years. When I had a foster Golden to re home I thought of her and e-mailed her. It is the best union ever.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.