The questions...

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I haven't had any problems other than me not realizing 4-1 = 3...

The questions don't make much difference on the computer but they annoy me on my phone.

I think activity is just down lately for a lot of reasons.... we lost some really active posters plus we haven't had too many new posters who post a lot lately. I feel like we've hashed out most things and there's just nothing else to say anymore?

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
I haven't had any problems other than me not realizing 4-1 = 3...

The questions don't make much difference on the computer but they annoy me on my phone.

I think activity is just down lately for a lot of reasons.... we lost some really active posters plus we haven't had too many new posters who post a lot lately. I feel like we've hashed out most things and there's just nothing else to say anymore?
I run into this. I'll find myself responding and halfway through just ditch it because it's already been said three billion times before.

GipsyQueen

I've been posting WAY less than usual - I can't really say why though. :p I do really miss the quick reply though. :D

Saeleofu

I'm not really sure that's it - or not all of it. I actually think the venting and good news thread have a lot more to do with it. I noticed that once those really got started we had a lot fewer new threads because things that used to be a whole topic are being discussed in those. /shrug

The questions don't bother me at all but I also don't have it randomly telling me I'm doing it wrong.
I avoid posting from my phone 90% of the time because it's difficult to answer the questions from my phone. I also avoid posting short replies from my computer about 60% of the time due to a lack of quick reply box. Bringing back the quick reply box would be awesome, even if it did have a question with it.

Saeleofu

If you use tapatalk you don't need to answer the questions Sael, at least I never have.
I don't have tapatalk, and I don't have room to install it, either (my phone has very, very little memory, unfortunately, so it's saved for apps I actually NEED :/).

I completely agree with this. I actually don't really like those threads for that reason. I feel people think it's silly to post a thread since it can relatively easily fit into one of those. And on top of it most people don't reply to each other in those threads.

I think they're great for just little things that no one would ever make a thread about but I notice a lot of things that go into those would have before been a whole thread.

I miss that.
This, definitely. I'm guilty of putting stuff there that ought to have its own thread, but then when I want to start a new thread, I think "This is stupid, just put it in the venting/good news/musing thread." And since there's one for venting, one for good news, and one for musing (basically everything that's not a vent or good news), AND ones for dog-specific musings/vents, there's not much reason to make new threads. I mean, what else can we talk about that doesn't fit in one of those categories? Even show results/new titles/new dogs get posted to the mega-threads, and that accounts for a lot of posts. Then the snapshot thread takes care of the pictures - ordinarily I'd save snapshots then make a big thread, but now, there's no need.

I admit sometimes I wish they'd be closed so we can go back to being more of a forum and less of a list of vents/musings/news.

Even the "my dog's thread" type of threads bother me. Yes, I want to keep up with your dog. No, I don't want to sort through 200 pages of replies to do it.

Last edited:

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
I haven't had any issues with the question, aside from that I nearly always forget to answer it on the first attempt and then it yells at me. When I do answer, though, it hasn't told me I'm wrong. Yet...

I honestly hadn't noticed that the Quick Reply button was gone. :eek:

All that said, I'll admit that I haven't been posting as much because I don't have the time to sort through the lump threads to find the topics of the day. I try to respond to regular threads when I can, but the majority of my "New Posts" page is filled with the lump threads, and since I can't check on them constantly to keep up... I don't.

I'm not completely against threads of that nature, but it does seem to have taken away from some of the more targeted discussions that used to happen around here.

ALSO, to be fair, I can't blame my posting absence completely on them, either. I've just had a lot going on offline and time/priorities have shifted a little bit. Being a grown-up is hard sometimes. :p

Taqroy

I hardly ever post from my phone either - I hate typing on this thing. :p I also tend to go through phases of lurkerness where I just don't have anything that I want to say. Today has been a very chatty day for me.

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
Oh yeah, I never post on forums from my phone, either. I barely can tolerate sending text messages (hooray for Siri!). :lol-sign: Phone typing makes me crazy.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
I agree about the lumpy threads, as in I want to reply to people but feel weird about quoting within it and having a conversation...the lack of back and forth is a bit like talking to a wall. Perhaps down with the lumpy threads? :)

Miakoda

They do help quite a bit with the spam.
They also make a lot of regular posters avoid posting too though. The board has been slowing to a crawl lately. Lots of people reading and not posting I think.

Sorry to say, but this has been me. :eek:

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
Also, the questions don't bother me as much as not having quick reply, I really really miss quick reply. Having that back, even if it was in addition to the questions would make me happy.
DEFINITELY agree with this. I miss the quick reply more than anything else reply-related.

Brattina88

I read every single day, but I rarely ever post. I miss quick reply. And I don't go digging in the lumpy threads, either. Just the last page when I click "new posts" ;)

The question I always get "wrong" is 11+15. 26. Wrong. 26. Wrong. Twenty-six. Wrong. Oh good grief I give up! :rofl1:

ETA: I think some of us are chatting or have moved to FB, too. I ask questions on there from my phone, and get notifications of replies. It's easier.

I read the new posts almost every day. I rarely post due to the questions, lack of quick reply, and because I don't have a laptop anymore. So I can only use my phone. I tried tapatalk and it just isn't my thing.

And when you finally get the answer right, you realize you hit "Preview" instead of "Submit" and you're going to have to answer a whole new pesky question before you can post.

I'm more of a reader than a poster, not a lot going on in life to post about. Although I did score a 10lb bag of future Bully Sticks this week. Considering THAT was the high point...

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Irritated me to begin with, but honestly don't mind now.

Takes all of 3 seconds longer to post, AND stops the spam.... Worth it :)

I post from my phone regularly, and my ipad.

If anyone can suggest a better way to stop the spam....?

I still can't figure out why we had so much spam relative to other larger boards. Is the software that outdated? This is all treating the symptom.

Our system IS draconian. Whether its worth it or not is a separate problem.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Yes, I was talking about that. I get the answer wrong sometimes or put it in the wrong spot. Argh.
Yeah I hate to say it but I miss quick reply too :(

Is there a way to bring QR back and make it where a question pops up with the little QR window thing? The bigger boards have QR and the same amount of mods as we have and they seem to control their spam, maybe we could create an anti-spam bot or something?

k9krazee

I love tapatalk because of the lack of questions. I forget they're there cause I use tapatalk for 93% of my forum trolling.

I write a lot & delete it because I'm paranoid that people I know in RL could read everything I write. Silly fear. And it a seems as if I only know how to hit 'send' after a few drinks :p

Members online

No members online now.