Speak

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Does your dog 'speak' at the same volume they naturally bark at. Mia cracks me up because she's such a loudmouth on her own- very vocal, screechy, obnoxious. But if you ask her to speak she let's out the quietest little tiny bark possible. Half the time it's almost silent.

Haha, no! Bayleigh will barely mumble a growl when I tell her to speak. I'll say, "what?" and she'll do it again. Each time getting a little louder and louder.

Gage does three different barks all on command. If we ask him to speak its his big loud bark...very handy when there is a creeper. Little bark is a quieter bark and then he says please which is a huff sound.
If you care to watch he does it.

Last edited:
Yea I'm pretty much terrified to teach Squash to bark on purpose. God only knows what would come out of that noise-hole. Soooo I have no idea.

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
Rumor is an obnoxious loudmouth. Ask her to "talk," though, and suddenly her voice is no more. She lets out the smallest of woofs.

DenoLo

Lo will very consistently sneeze the first couple of times I say speak. And then she'll usually give a soft bark. But if she's concentrating on something else, like she's in my lap or balancing and I ask her to speak, she'll growl or cry LOL.

The other weird thing about Lola's speak is that the very first time I got her to do it, I happened to be touching my head with my hand, so now she'll ONLY speak if I very obviously put my fist to my head. It's the most bizarre hand signal ever and people are usually completely baffled when I tell them to do it.

GipsyQueen

Yea I'm pretty much terrified to teach Squash to bark on purpose. God only knows what would come out of that noise-hole. Soooo I have no idea.
lol this. She's loud enough as it is. Maybe she'll NEVER stop if she gets cookies for barking. :eek:

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
Quinn is so quiet that I'll probably never be able to teach her speak because I can't capture it or get her to bark in any way. The only time she will bark is if a stranger is at the door!

Dally has two volumes. Speak - which is LOUD. And whisper, which is just a quiet "woof".

Keechak

Aussie Obssessed
Lark and Hawk both have full volume "speak" tricks. Kechara however, I never taught her to bark on command.

Zhucca

Lab Love
Weird how this is really common!

Duke's speak starts off with him mouthing it or snapping his teeth. Then maybe a little woof. The more I ask him the louder he gets.

Flyinsbt

I've only taught one dog to speak, Tully "spoke" at the same volume of a usual bark, but she'd only do it once, instead of repeatedly barking. I decided never to teach that trick again, because she would offer that trick when she wanted something, and people always thought she was being pushy and rude. Plus, it was a little irritating.

Members online

No members online now.