Would you buy from a breeder who uses kennels?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
It depends on the breed and what the dog is for, I expect. And the kennel set up.

I prefer people who keep their dogs in the house, especially in a companion breed.

ETA: Also just because a breeder 'uses kennels' doesn't mean the dogs live there. Trey's breeder had a bunch of kennels but the dogs lived inside the majority of the time.

When I get a bigger dog, I'll be building a kennel for it to stay in while I'm gone to work. I see it as preferable to crating to be honest.

Paviche

Duuuuude.
Thanks for the answers! I think it might just be because my dogs have always lived inside the home with me so the thought of them not being there just seems strange. Of course I've never had more than 3 dogs at a time and they were all altered.

As I said, I don't think there's anything WRONG with it. In some cases it makes more sense to me (like some people mentioned rotating dogs that don't get along etc, I like that idea more than them being crated.) So, I was surprised at how I felt about it.

And yeah, "uses kennels" might not be the best way to phrase it, I was thinking more along the lines of "kennels are the dogs' main residence when not being worked with." If I had the space/money I'd love a kennel setup as an alternative to crating when I'm not home.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Juno's breeder had kennels (indoor/outdoor access) but that wasn't their primary living space, and not where the puppies were kept/raised. She just didn't have all the dogs loose in the house at the same time. Instead of crating them, they were in large kennels.

Didn't bug me at all.

Now I wouldn't have liked it if the kennels were where the dogs lived and they were not house dogs. Maybe my opinion on that would change depending on breed, but that would not be an ideal living situation for boxers.

Dekka

Just try me..
Well there are really two issues here.

Do you want a dog that lived in a kennel, for fear of lack of worldy experience. Though I agree with Linds a stable dog is a stable dog. Seren was nervous of a few things, but her way of checking things out it is to stand there and stare, and then bark lol (her response to many things is to bark.. just like her sister)

The other issue being is people against dogs in kennels not wanting to support a breeder who keeps dogs not in the house.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
No. probably not.

Even with A LOT of socialization, I just prefer the idea that these dogs/puppies are raised in a home. I just don't think you can mimic the socialization that comes with being born/raised in a home with the feeling of carpets, sounds of vacuum, sounds of the coffee machine and alarm clocks, going up/down stairs, people walking about etc...

and even if you could. I dunno.. it just rubs me the wrong way...

I like a breeder who treats their dogs as family. and to me, part of that means they live in the house with them, as family.

Now of course there are exceptions to every rule, and if I found a breeder who went ABOVE AND BEYOND and proved to me that these dogs were FAMILY. they are extensively socialized, that the kennel was temperature controlled and very clean, that they are out and about and a part of everyday life...

maybe.

but as a general rule, I would prefer not to.

Saeleofu

Logan's breeder doesn't keep all the dogs in the house all the time. When I was staying there overnight, Logan and his parents were inside overnight and the others were in their own areas. I'm sure they all get time inside, because they know how to behave inside. Logan was amazingly well socialized with people, animals and various environments. He balks at nothing - NOTHING has really scared him or anything. Bottom line is I got Logan, I don't regret it in the least, and I'd get another dog from the same breeder in a heartbeat.

SailenAero

Hits the Mark
I believe there needs to be some equal ground. I understand that kennels have a proper and good use. A breeder, for example, might have a bunch of intact males and females that need to have some separation. A breeder who shows dogs might have more than 4 or 5 dogs and needs to use the kennels because all of the dogs can't be in the house all the time. If a breeder has, lets say, 12 dogs and a litter on the ground - I would understand not having them all in the house at once. Having that many dogs int he house 24/7 also doesn't necessarily guarantee the dogs are being well socialized either. Using crates doesn't mean that the breeder is not socializing the dogs or being a good owner. It could be that it is more out of necessity.

However, if there is a breeder who uses kennels that the dogs -never- come out of, then there is a problem. That is unacceptable in my book. But I know there are many people who have to kennel their dogs for a big portion of the day while they are at work and that doesn't mean their dogs are not great members of society and socialized properly.

To extreme one way or another is never good.

M

MyHorseMyRules

I would, and I have! Boone's breeder raises dogs/puppies in kennels. I have yet to see him turn out any unstable dogs.

I'd rather see dogs kenneled and well taken care of then stuck in crates inside the house all day.
A stable dog is a stable dog and a kennel isn't going to make or break that.

I figure, if the dogs are coming out of it good and are what I want then whether or not they are kenneled doesn't matter, the fact that they are good dogs does.
Excellent posts.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I took the question as "raised puppies in kennels"
and to that, I say no, probably not. Id want my puppy to be socialized in the home with a breeder who wants females/puppies in the home nearby.

but as for older dogs? with the right interaction, weather and kennel safety.. I don't see why not.
As somebody mentioned.. it's probably preferable than being in a crate, atleast they can move around

Of course, I wouldn't want a breeder that had dogs in kennels 24/7

but if the kennel was clean, climate controlled, and the dogs had plenty of out time/interaction.. then fine

M

MyHorseMyRules

Post edited. I meant both dogs and puppies. If the puppies are happy and healthy and coming out of it with no issues, I just don't see the problem.

Maxy24

I would buy from a breeder who kept their dogs in kennels but not one who raised the puppies in kennels, I'd rather they be socialized to house noises and the house environment right from the start.

I would buy from a breeder who kept their dogs in kennels but not one who raised the puppies in kennels, I'd rather they be socialized to house noises and the house environment right from the start.
Ok, so I am down with people buying from whatever breeder they want so don't take this as an attack as it's not meant that way. But I honestly am curious about this.

If the puppies that are coming out of the breeder aren't phased in the least by being brought into the home after being raised in kennels outside why does it matter? If they aren't afraid of things, bomb proof, stable dogs then why does if they are socialized in the homes make any difference?

M

MyHorseMyRules

Ok, so I am down with people buying from whatever breeder they want so don't take this as an attack as it's not meant that way. But I honestly am curious about this.

If the puppies that are coming out of the breeder aren't phased in the least by being brought into the home after being raised in kennels outside why does it matter? If they aren't afraid of things, bomb proof, stable dogs then why does if they are socialized in the homes make any difference?
Exactly.

SaraB

It would depend on the breed for me. Great dane? No, absolutely not. There is so many fear and temperament problems that run rampant in the breed that I want my perspective puppy to start off on the right foot from the get go.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat

1. It just rubs me the wrong way personally, on purely an emotional front... Dogs are family.. and if I had a litter of puppies, I would of course want them close by and inside. So I would want a breeder who felt the same way.
What if something happened? I dunno.. You brought these fragile little pups into this world, and to now just leave mom and litter outside out of sight. I just don't get it.

To me, the whole putting the mom/litter in the kennel is the first red flag toward these dogs being a business or more like livestock than they are really loved pets.

Are there exceptions? I'm sure.
but it's still not something I personally feel comfortable with.

I raised a litter of puppies. and sure, having them inside was an inconvenience, puppies are messy and loud lol
but I could NEVER imagine it any other way.
I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing they are outside.
So why not find a breeder who felt the same way?

2. I just don't think you can get the same level of home socialization from being in a kennel. Yea, they might know what being in a home is like.. but I think it's totally different from being RAISED in one.
I want a puppy coming to live with me to know about living in the house. All the noises, the feel of carpet, alarm clock sounds, to walking by and being picked up, to seeing people go about their business, etc..etc..

I want a breeder who has LIVED with these puppies and knows about living with them. Who sleeps well, who doesn't, who eats the most, who likes to be picked up.
because the breeder is there with them in their home, these puppies are part of everyday life because they are smack in the middle of it lol

Why would I want my puppy, who is going to be living in my house, to be raised in a kennel environment?

And even if there was NO difference socialization wise.
It still doesn't sit well with me.

Last edited:

cliffdog

I agree. A lot of kennel raised puppies are very well socialized but it's easier to socialize in the home. Also in my experience dogs are smarter if they are raised indoors because of all the human contact.

To me dogs are dogs, not family, so I may be different from the perspective of many people here. I love them to pieces, more than people for sure, but they are animals... they have different needs than people, they don't need (and mine don't want) to be inside all the time. If I was getting a dog strictly for a housepet, I might prefer someone who kept their dogs inside, but if I'm getting a working coonhound pup, what do I care if the breeder kept their dogs in kennels or chain setups?

cliffdog

To me, the whole putting the mom/litter in the kennel is the first red flag toward these dogs being a business or more like livestock than they are really loved pets.
Well that's rather how it is, to me, lol. Around my place, dogs are very well-loved and cared for livestock. Animals there for a working purpose.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Well that's rather how it is, to me, lol. Around my place, dogs are very well-loved and cared for livestock. Animals there for a working purpose.
*shrug* that's fine, and breeders/owners have every right to do what they think is right as long as the dogs/pups are well cared for

the point I was trying to make is that I DON'T feel that way.. so I probably wouldn't choose a breeder who did.

To me, dogs and puppies will always be loved pets, parts of the family, bed warmers, jogging partners.. etc.. that kind of thing lol
They might have a purpose other than that, but being companions is their main purpose
so I usually try to support a breeder who agrees with that state of mind and raises pups/dogs accordingly

Members online

No members online now.