Im the animal rescue now!

darkchild16

We are Home.
Well i aquired another rescue. this time a cat thats WAY to young to be from his mama. he prolly just opened his eyes yesterday at the latest and now i have no clue what to feed him tonight??? what do i do???

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Get some milk, kitten replacer if possible and be ready to spend a very sleepless night, as he's going to need to be checked on every hour and probably fed then as well. Keep him warm and away from drafts. Good luck!

Unfortunetly, kittens this young have a hard time surviving the night when away from mamma.

silverpawz

No Sugar Added
No. Don't feed him regular milk. It's not good for cats.

You really need to pick up some kitten formula right away. I'm sure Walmart has some and they're open 24 hours. It really can't wait, if he even misses one feeding it could throw him off. Little kittens like that are so very fragile.

Please call up your vet in the morning as well and explain the situation. He or she can tell you exactly how much formula to feed and how else you should be careing for the kitten.

In the mean time, follow the directions on the container. You'll also need a plastic feeding syringe which you can get at the vet, but a small kitten bottle might do the trick for now (I'm not even sure if they have those at walmart...).

silverpawz

No Sugar Added
Do you have someone else with you that can take you? How long before you can get formula for him? Do you know how long it's been since his last meal? Where did you get him from? How did we start playing twenty questions? ;)

silverpawz

No Sugar Added
Okay, assuming he's acting normally and not getting cold you'll probably be okay untill it gets light out, but it's hard to tell not knowing how long it's been since his last feeding. How's he acting? Sleeping a lot? Mewing? Does he feel cold or warm?

Sorry for all the questions. I've fostered a ton of kittens that age and I know how quickly they can decline. Just want to make sure all the bases are covered.

At the risk of sounding like a mother hen, you really need to get kitten formula for him first thing this morning. Like seriously first thing. At the butt-crack of dawn. ;)

ETA: If he probably just opened his eyes, he can't be more than two weeks old or so. That's way too young for solid foods, they don't start eating mush or dry food untill around one month. Feeding him mush may not be the best thing.

darkchild16

We are Home.
oh ill be up and we are going as soon as we can to walmart. and tomorrow he is prolly going to our vet to find a forever home.
now the other questions
he keeps mewing(sounds like a cute lil squeak LOL)
hs active when i have him with me but when hes in his box he sleeps, and hes acting as normal as most cats but ive never had one this young. and hes normal temp.

silverpawz

No Sugar Added
and tomorrow he is prolly going to our vet to find a forever home.
You mean he hasn't wrapped you around his paw yet? ;)

It's good that he's active. If he gets lethargic that's a really bad sign. Just keep him warm as was previously said. It easy for them to get chilly in the box when they don't have other siblings to snuggle with.

I miss having kittens here. Those little squeak-meows are just too darn adorable.

darkchild16

We are Home.
where you live you want mini bry??? i want to find him a good home!!
i cant have another animal. and he will be snuggling with me and walker(they are in L-O-V-E)

silverpawz

No Sugar Added
I'm too far away from Flordia and I already have eight cats. I don't need more cats. lol

Just remembered, make sure you stimulate him to use the bathroom since at that age they still depend on their mother to lick them to make them eliminate. He may have to go, or he may not. But I'd still give it a try with a wet cotton ball next time he wakes up.

silverpawz

No Sugar Added
Just dampen a cotton ball with warm water and rub it gently on his genitals for a few seconds. That will mimic his mom licking him and he should go.

darkchild16

We are Home.
THats what i did. well last night he was all but lethargic :rolleyes: i had to have walker gaurd the edge of my bed so he didnt fall off. and i called the rescue and they should be calling back soon :D:D

I found this a little late, but Karo syrup would have been helpful as well.

If you have some, you can give it in addition to the formula.

if at all possible you may want to call humane societies or rescues if you know of any. Ask if they have any mother cats nursing kittens... if so this one could just be added to the bunch... mothers milk is best and many times vets offices will just put these kittens down because they dont have the time to nurse them back to health.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes

Elissa

Members online

No members online now.