Trick Training for the Excitable Dog

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Jack super crazy food motivated. I never thought one could have too much food motivation until I got him. I want to do some clicker training teaching tricks but he gets VERY VERY excited and has trouble concentrating. If I use just kibble he gets bored quickly and if I use actual treats his brain falls out his ears.

Any ideas?

Sekah

The Monster.
^ Agree. But there's gotta be some intermediary foods that fall somewhere between "gets bored" and "loses mind".

Taqroy

^ Agree. But there's gotta be some intermediary foods that fall somewhere between "gets bored" and "loses mind".
Agreed. Or use mostly kibble and spice it up with a few awesome treats? Intermittent reinforcement with the good stuff may keep him into the game.

Maxy24

Would he lose his mind as much if you didn't actually have food in your hand? so like shape him as opposed to luring? Or would he just get frustrated?

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
You can mix a cup of kibble with a few high value treats, like cubes of cheese and hotdogs. Add a splash of water, mix it up, and put it in the fridge overnight.

I would use a clicker if you aren't already, do shaping and target training instead of sticking exciting treats in his face! :) Relaxation protocol and puppy zen should help, too. Labs tend to be over the moon about treats! I know several Pit Bulls like that too.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Bamm is a super excitable dog when it comes to training. He LOVES to train, but he tends to try to over think what you want him to do and he goes crazy over treat rewards.

I have found that mixing in a few yummy treats with just plain kibble really helps. I also try to avoid keeping treats visible. If he sees the treat pouch he focuses on my treats and will get frustrated. It's easier to keep my treat pouch behind me where he can't see it.

I'm definitely interested to read what other suggestions are offered...

Over-excitement in dogs can lead to behavior challenges. The causes of over-excitement are varied. They can have little impulse control. Impulse control is a learned behavior needing proper instruction and guidance from their favorite human.

Members online

No members online now.