Foxhound breeder loses EVERYTHING in WA floods

• Thread starter RedyreRottweilers
  • Start date
R

RedyreRottweilers

Please forward and cross post....

Nancy Punches, a breeder and owner of American Foxhounds, is MISSING in the floods of Lewis County, Washington.

Nancy lives alone with her dogs. She works the night shift at an area hospital ... but has not reported to work.

The American Red Cross has confirmed that her home is under 10 feet of water. She is not on their lists of shelter inhabitants in the area. We do know that some people in her area were air-lifted to safety. They have promised to pass on to her contact information for a member of the American Foxhound Club, once she is located ... if they find her in one of their shelters.

It is our hope that perhaps she has sought shelter, with her dogs, with another dog person.

UPDATE

Nancy has been located by the Red Cross in a hospital with some minor injuries and frost bite. She and her litter of puppies were evacuated.

Nancy was at home and heard the dike break. Quickly, she searched for a box to put her puppies in ... hoping to evacuate A.S.A.P.

She located a styrofoam container and transferred the puppies into it. By the time she had the pups in the box, the water was waist-deep inside her house.

She moved towards her door, thinking of her car and escape, but realized she could not open her door in this kind of water and, if she had, she may have just been swept away. So, instead, she made her way into her kitchen with her box of puppies and climbed up on to her kitchen counter.

She stayed there all night and most of yesterday ... standing on the counter and holding on to the box of puppies. At times, she says the water was only three inches below her mouth. The puppies would occasionally peer over the box but decided they did not want out of it and, thankfully, stayed put.

Nancy's neighbor was air-lifted from the roof of their home and insisted to the rescuers that they knew Nancy was at home. So, they came and punched through her roof to find her. She has minor injuries from floating objects and has frost bite on her extremities. Nancy is in her 70s. She said she willed herself to live to keep her puppies from drowning.

As she was being airlifted, she could see two of her foxhounds outside ... alive. The others were inside in kennel runs. (15 hounds and one BRT) Two foxhounds and the Black Russian Terrier were in crates. She fully expects those dogs to be dead.

Nancy was taken and admitted to a hospital. One of her nurses has taken the puppies home to she and her husband's dairy farm to care for them. They have lost over 300 head of their cows to the same flood.

Nancy has lost EVERYTHING except the clothes on her back and these puppies ... and maybe the two foxhounds she saw outdoors. A donation drive for Nancy is being established through the American Foxhound Club.

For information:

Please contact Kelly & Judy Rea
706-754-4257

Also, if you live in this area and hear any
word about these surviving foxhounds, Please
let either the Reas or myself

Susan Stacy Lowder
Downhome Harriers
[email protected]

know. These hounds mean EVERYTHING to Nancy!

Thank you for your assistance!

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Yes, lets nitpick about how many dogs the woman had, while she lost EVERYTHING...

Thats an awful story.. :( I could even imagine what she is going through...

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Yes, lets nitpick about how many dogs the woman had, while she lost EVERYTHING...

Thats an awful story.. :( I could even imagine what she is going through...
I agree. There's no doubt she cared for them. She risked her life for those puppies. But being judgmental about the number of dogs she had . . . seems rather . . . unkind under the circumstances. And we don't know why she had so many . . . if nothing else, she certainly doesn't have that many now. :(

Romy

Taxiderpy
Yes , so am I ......but questioned why she had so many dogs .
For what it's worth Nancy Punches is an AKC judge, and extremely well respected among foxhound fanciers. She's been working with the breed for more than 30 years.

Here is a more detailed article about her ordeal. If you don't feel like reading it, I will say that near the end it says all the puppies in that litter were already sold, but she is keeping one now, named Noah. Made me cry. :(

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregonian/stories/index.ssf?/base/news/1197433538322420.xml&coll=7

Members online

No members online now.