Boys with balls?

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Fred has found his hormones.

Is there anything I should know? I've never owned a boy before LOL. How should I expect him to be around other males or intact males?

Etc.

He's still lovely, but he's demonstrating he's teen boyness by peeing on eeeeeeverything and he did a real hard stare at another male dog today which didnt look playful to me!

Flyinsbt

He's going through adolescence, so he'll probably be more obnoxious about it now than he will later. Basically, I just wouldn't let him get away with any behavior you don't want.

As to how he'll get along with other males... it varies. My Pirate is fine with them, he's an easy going lad. My friend's BC decided he didn't like other intact males, so isn't allowed around them. Yes, that seems backwards, but all dogs are individuals, so you'll just have to wait and see how yours is.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Fred has found his hormones.

Is there anything I should know? I've never owned a boy before LOL. How should I expect him to be around other males or intact males?

Etc.

He's still lovely, but he's demonstrating he's teen boyness by peeing on eeeeeeverything and he did a real hard stare at another male dog today which didnt look playful to me!
Remind me how old Fred is now?

I have no advice really. Talon's my first intact boy as well, and has started to mark everything (outside) obsessively. :rolleyes: I think it's my fault for calling him a girl for so long. LOL :p I just tell him "nope, move along" and drag his butt with me when I don't want to stop every two feet. :p

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
He's ONE on the 16th!!!!!! One... :(

He cocks his leg on everything, luckily not indoors or on our yard etc :)

I hope he decides he likes boys... Will try and keep everything positive.

FG167

He's going through adolescence, so he'll probably be more obnoxious about it now than he will later. Basically, I just wouldn't let him get away with any behavior you don't want.

As to how he'll get along with other males... it varies. My Pirate is fine with them, he's an easy going lad. My friend's BC decided he didn't like other intact males, so isn't allowed around them. Yes, that seems backwards, but all dogs are individuals, so you'll just have to wait and see how yours is.
I agree with this.

We've got...five intact males and all but Pan are great with other dogs. Although, Limit is only good with other dogs on his home turf (lack of confidence I do believe)...I just never pushed them to like a dog they didn't and encouraged proper behavior and if they don't like a dog, they'll tend to ignore or avoid, and all others they are sweet to. Our new foster is intact and we just introduced everyone and everyone was great. Minus Pan, of course.

The biggest issue I have with Traveler is how other dogs, mostly male, take to him.

I typically have to be extra vigilant when he's around any dogs because they seem to either completely obsess over him or try to go after him and I think it's mostly do to him being intact.

That being said, I think the biggest thing is because most dogs are castrated around here so they aren't ever exposed to other intact dogs. They smell different and none of them are quite sure how to take it. Even Traveler wasn't sure how to take other intact males. He's gotten a lot better the last year, been around more of them and come into himself a lot.

But yeah, that's my biggest issue with having an intact male.

Oh and he likes to pee on little white dogs when he's off leash. But I think that's more of a him thing than a ball thing.

Shakou

Ma'ii is reactive towards other intact males, so we really have to watch him. Other than that, he's really no different than other dogs :)

DJEtzel

It will totally depend on each dog.

Frag was intact until around two. No issues with anything whatsoever related to his nuts. Never humped, fought, postured, roamed, chattered, marked, etc. Wonderful. (He does more of those behaviors NOW that he's intact- humping and posturing)

Recon is still intact and almost a year old. He is harder to warm up to adult males, and if they're around our house, he will stare/growl at them occasionally, but that's as far as it goes and he can still co-exist with them safely. I don't have any reason to believe it will get any worse and I'm fine with that. Just a little slower intro of adults males into the home.

They're both typically great at the dog park and have no issues as temperament test dogs, except that while Recon's going through fear stages (that are sometimes brought on by fireworks, etc) I pull him from testing because he does get fearful of strange dogs and will do the growling/hiding bit.

Grab

Nog was intact until 3 and he always got along with absolutely everyone. He never had inappropriate/annoying behaviors like excessive sniffing, excessive marking, humping, etc. He behaves exactly the same now as he did when intact. I don't know if it's just his personality (my guess) or training from his former owners.

Brooks will be intact for awhile yet, but he's a babydog, so he doesn't know he has testicles just yet.

lizzybeth727

Keegan's 2 1/2 and still intact. Whatever issues he has, I treat them as training issues, not "because he has balls" issues. He gets along with most other dogs, neutered and intact, though there's the occasional male that he doesn't like. I've personally handled A LOT of neutered males, and I don't see Keegan's dislike for some dogs to be particularly different than neutered males.

There's a basenji in our agility class that Keegan can't decide if he likes or not. I thought he was unsure, because the basenji is intact, but then I noticed that most of the males in the class can't figure out the basenji either, so I think it's just a basenji thing. ;)

He also does mark a lot, but honestly he doesn't mark much more than my female, spayed Chihuahua does. :)

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I can't be of much help I don't think because Buddy is only my second male since Bear, who was the best male ever I think, he does mark but only outside & is not aggressive with any dogs, intact or not, male or female.

Buddy also marks but only outside, he was neutered when I adopted him but since he was found as a stray, I don't know if he was neutered when they found him or not.

But if you plan to keep him intact, I have noticed that neutered males tend to have a strong dislike for intact males, something to think about whenever you have him out with other dogs or are at the DP.

You never can tell. It's totally random. All my dogs before King were intact. King, who went last December was neutered at 3, and as far as I could see, he didn't change at all, he still was peeing constantly, and had ZERO tolerance for a dog that was aggressive towards him. My Pit Mix Gus did a lot of marking, but was very timid in most respects, unless pushed too far. Too far in his case was taking a couple of bites before retaliating. The dog before him, Joe, a yellow Lab was not nearly as timid as he was, but like Gus, never would start a fight, with the exception of with his "arch enemy", Logan, another yellow Lab who had attacked him out of nowhere. Those two hated each other big time. The dog before that, my Beagle Farfel, well, he was known at the vet's office as "The Scrapper", he would tolerate almost any abuse from a puppy, but an adult dog that showed any aggression, regardless of size, would find out that a big Beagle that knows how to fight is no pushover. He seemed to really enjoy his rumbles, and dropped dead after he had won his final bought. It was a good way to go, he had a lot of problems and didn't have long to go, no matter what.

Members online

No members online now.