In an act of insanity-we get a puppy

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
After losing Uncle Fred on Monday, something I don't know when we will recover from, we are getting a puppy on Sunday. My 13 year old son wants to get into hunting and showing a nice hound, and we have the offer of a gorgeous Walker pup. I have never had a dog that is bred like this, and I don't know how it is going to go, but he looks like a great pup, and we'll see what the future brings with him.

I have one picture, from the breeder, but I don't know about the legality of posting someone else's pics. He's an "all grand" pup- all of his ancestors for five generations at least, have been a UKC Grand champion in the show ring, in the woods, or both. I think the main idea is to try to hunt him in junior events- and see how he turns out for showing. We pick him up on Sunday- and i'm a little dazed by the whole thing.

Our vet always advises to get another dog ASAP, and my boys seem to have taken the advice to heart. I know this is something Will has wanted to do for some time, so here goes.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Good luck! I am sure he will be a fantastic puppy. Nothing will ever replace Uncle Fred, but I've always been of the opinion that they'll find their way back to you somehow, someday.

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
Ooooh what's he out of/what're his lines like/who're you gettin him from?!? (You can PM me if you'd like!) I'm so excited for you guys! I love SoCal but I miss coonhound events so much - it's truly a way of life.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
This thread makes me smile. :)

Some people need time... others (myself included) do best when another dog becomes part of the family soon after. I'm excited to see your new puppy!

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Sometimes bringing a new puppy (or dog) home helps heal your heart a little. Not to replace the dogs who have gone before, but to remind us that there is joy in this world and life is worth living to the fullest. And that means puppies!

Good luck, I hope the pup works out great for your son! How exciting for him to be able to get into a new hobby.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Congrats on the new pup that will be coming. I can't wait to see a pic and also what you've decided to name him.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
I will be anxious to see the new pup! There is no right or wrong on what to do in these circumstances--so if a new pup feels like the right thing to do--I say go for it. I think it's a tribute to Uncle Fred that your son wants a hound!
Do you still have Mini? How is she doing?

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
I just got home from my Saturday job, and again I forgot and was shocked by the silence. If nothing else, the puppy should bawl at me, making things seem more normal.

Mini is actually living with my daughter's best friend in North Carolina. She is very happy, and wears a pink jacket (!). Irene bonded with her and the cats really appreciated it, so it has worked out well. If it ever doesn't, of course, Mini is welcome to live here, but it's always been a bad fit, and I am glad she is happy and well loved.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
glad to hear Mini is happy and that it is a good fit. I wondered how she would take to a new puppy. When do you bring the pup home? I hope you post pictures--hound puppies are the cutest things on earth!

Members online

No members online now.