Poor Fur Quality

Lindsay

My dog is 12 now and she's got really bad fur quality. The fur has rubbed off around her collar, she's rusting from her black to a faded black/brownish color, and she's got small mats/chunks of loose fur around her haunches/tail base area.

Casey HATES to be brushed and will try and rip your face off if you try. She snaps at you and bares her teeth.

Is there anything else that I can do to help her gain back her shiny, smooth coat?

(she's a short-haired border collie)

Debi

I know there will be posts for you regarding diet. GREAT information here!!! I only put this into it.......brushing is a must. Can you get your dog at some quiet time?? I brush everyday. There is always shedding and it helps keep them clean. It also gives them 'special' attention from me. Even for that age....the coat should'nt be in such poor condition. Have you asked your vet? I know someone will come on with wonderful help for you. This is an excellent board. :) Hope all works out.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Umm, for now, why not just put a muzzle on her, bathe her, brush her thoroughly, and get it over with?

Sounds to me like she's blowing her coat, she just needs a good long bath & brushing.

Lindsay

Putting a muzzle on her is like trying to hold on to a water balloon covered in oil. The vet once tried to put one on her and she panicked so badly that her tongue turned black and she hyperventilated.

I know that she needs to be brushed, it doesn't take an expert's advice for me to know that... but it's impossible. She actually attacks when you try. I'm not sure why... we used to be able to do it when she was younger but in the past couple of years we haven't been able to. We would have to put her to sleep to get her totally groomed but with her age that wouldn't be the best thing for her.

I guess it's the diet... i'll have to work on my dad on that one. He's the one that buys the food.

RD

Are you dead yet?
OK, can you PET her? If you can pet her, just run your fingers through those clumps of hair and pull them out gently. it won't get anything out as well as brushing, but it'll make her look a bit better. :)
I see what you mean about the muzzle, there's no need to stress an old dog like that, and I certainly wouldn't put her under anesthesia just to brush her. (I have a 12 y/o lab, and I was considering putting him to sleep so he could have dental work done, but the risk of him dying outweighs the rewards of him having clean teeth & good breath)

BTW, even the best diet won't do much for a dog blowing her coat..

Have you tried using a grooming glove? She might accept that, especially if she's laying next to you or across your lap and you don't make the glove too obvious.

Actually, the weight loss is the more serious issue, and I've a feeling that if you can get that under control, her coat will improve - but she'll still need some grooming.

How is she with just being stroked? I can't help but wonder if her skin has become very sensitive.

Lindsay

You can run your hand on her with no problems but for some reason if you try and touch one particular spot on her bum to try and get through the clumps, she bares her teeth. We have one of the gloves but she freaks out over that too.

Are all border collies this mental?

Members online

No members online now.