Trick of the week: Rebounds, overs and stalls

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
We had a private lesson with Angela (video above) yesterday. One of my favorite moves from her is the front-load backstall. So she got us started on it yesterday. It was so much more difficult than I thought it was, to get my timing down. Here's Zinga's progress so far. I just need to fade the shoulder tap and we are all good!

[YOUTUBE]Bup2yihmVZg[/YOUTUBE]
That is equal parts amazing and terrifying. I imagined doing that with P and I think I'd be like DOG FLYING AT MY FACE ABORT ABORT

Trav looks great. I am still resisting the idea of a footstall. I just see it ending so poorly for me LOL. Georgie is the smallest/lightest and yet I'm still picturing her dive-bombing at my head from my feet...

SaraB

That is equal parts amazing and terrifying. I imagined doing that with P and I think I'd be like DOG FLYING AT MY FACE ABORT ABORT

Trav looks great. I am still resisting the idea of a footstall. I just see it ending so poorly for me LOL. Georgie is the smallest/lightest and yet I'm still picturing her dive-bombing at my head from my feet...
LOL, the thing about Zinga is that if I leave a training session without bleeding, I'm generally happy. Angela caught on pretty quick to her craziness and basically had to hold me still the first few times we did this because I kept flinching away from Zinga. It's become instinct after her flying at my face for so long!

Also, if you do a footstall, yes, your dog will land on your face. Probably a few times. But it's sooooo worth it. <----- peer pressure.

Doooo iiittt!!! If I can survive 40 lb, 22 inch tall Traveler landing on my face multiple times you can with yours!! And it's addicting!

Besides, you can incorporate it into your work outs!

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I like the middle step you're using Linds - makes a lot of sense, though I do hesitate to teach a dog to stand on a table so regularly. LOL Also, how long does it take to build up your leg strength - that's one reason I shy away from the foot stalls - my legs don't like that much weight at this point.

Did you try stopping here and shaping it? I really notice when I try and lure this kind of stuff they just stretch like Maisy but when I back up and start marking for small increments they get it faster and try more things.

....would it be a trick thread if I didn't push shaping somewhere? :rofl1
I agree! I caught myself leaning on luring, and sure enough fading the lure is hard as hell. I and I just went off on someone about how the power of clicker training is in offered behavior and how shaping is always superior to luring. :hail: Bad trainer! Don't be lazy!

I love Traveler. <3 I wish my dogs were small enough to try foot stalls with, but alas. Even I am not that crazed.

Unfortunately shaping is a very, very arduous process with Maisy... she is not a dog who offers behaviors very freely at all, whether it's just her personality or because of experiences before she came to me or my lack of experience and precision marking I don't know. We can sit there with her just looking at me for literally 15-20 minutes at a time. I've probably had the best success with her with the "close the door" trick but man... I freely admit I don't have the patience or precision skill for it with her for something like this. And she's the only one little enough to do the back stall with.

She does, however, very quickly figure out exactly what I'm clicking for and I can fade lures really fast with her once she gets a step. So there's that.

I love Traveler. <3 I wish my dogs were small enough to try foot stalls with, but alas. Even I am not that crazed.

Unfortunately shaping is a very, very arduous process with Maisy... she is not a dog who offers behaviors very freely at all, whether it's just her personality or because of experiences before she came to me or my lack of experience and precision marking I don't know. We can sit there with her just looking at me for literally 15-20 minutes at a time. I've probably had the best success with her with the "close the door" trick but man... I freely admit I don't have the patience or precision skill for it with her for something like this. And she's the only one little enough to do the back stall with.

She does, however, very quickly figure out exactly what I'm clicking for and I can fade lures really fast with her once she gets a step. So there's that.
Well if she gets luring then god speed! I couldn't remember if you had done much/any shaping with her so thought I would throw it out there. Hopefully everything clicks (get it? :p ) soon and she is launching herself onto your back at random intervals!

I like the middle step you're using Linds - makes a lot of sense, though I do hesitate to teach a dog to stand on a table so regularly. LOL Also, how long does it take to build up your leg strength - that's one reason I shy away from the foot stalls - my legs don't like that much weight at this point.
Yeah, I tried to start out that way but just wasn't getting anywhere other than tired which is why I started the other way but went back to this. It's really helping with the confidence it seems.

Also, the getting on the table boat has sailed, loooong ago :rofl1:

Sara and Dex can probably answer the leg question better than I can but I think it's a good mixture of them and you learning how to move and adjust for the weight rather than flat out strength. I've been able to start keeping my legs straighter now that Traveler and Didgie get it more so that's helping but them being more secure in what they're doing seems to be the biggest help in being able to support them.

I agree! I caught myself leaning on luring, and sure enough fading the lure is hard as hell. I and I just went off on someone about how the power of clicker training is in offered behavior and how shaping is always superior to luring. :hail: Bad trainer! Don't be lazy!
Don't you hate that? I do that sometimes, revert back to my old old luring ways and it just never goes well. Then I hit myself in the head and shape it and "oh look, they get it now!

Well if she gets luring then god speed! I couldn't remember if you had done much/any shaping with her so thought I would throw it out there. Hopefully everything clicks (get it? :p ) soon and she is launching herself onto your back at random intervals!
Oh, no offense or anything taken. There's just a combination between she and I where I'm a pretty inexperienced shaper and she's not at all "operant." So we just sit around staring at each other, lol.

I've done shaping the most with Squash, but I think ultimately Pip will be the best at it. Because once the clicker comes out and realizes he's in control, he just starts throwing out one thing after another. THIS? THIS? THIS? THIS? Squash is lazier and gets frustrated if he's not successful at getting a click relatively quickly, but Pip just keeps trying things forever. :p Anyway, sorry about the tangent!

Also, the getting on the table boat has sailed, loooong ago :rofl1:
Heheh I was just thinking that.

DenoLo

Cohen is incredible, and I just love how happy Maisy is, I don't think her tail ever stopped wagging.

I couldn't see Siris, but I want to because I need some little dog inspiration.

kaykay21

herder brain & drool face

Sekah

The Monster.
I love how careful Trav is. He's working really hard to stay up there!

Sekah, here's a quick video of Zuma's footstall sequence. We don't have a lot of space, so that out throw would normally be a bit further out, plus in a comp setting she's much more amped up.

[YOUTUBE]DfBE8kpkxhk[/YOUTUBE]
Thanks a bunch for this. This is a great idea, and looks very organic and smooth. Have you seen it successfully incorporated into freestyle (aka, without frisbees)? Or is it more something people reserve for disc work?

I like the idea of putting a dog on a table before cuing onto the feet. Last night (after a glass or two of wine...) I decided to work on this a bit more and ended up doing leg presses with Cohen perched on top. A fun little work out!

Thanks a bunch for this. This is a great idea, and looks very organic and smooth. Have you seen it successfully incorporated into freestyle (aka, without frisbees)? Or is it more something people reserve for disc work?

I like the idea of putting a dog on a table before cuing onto the feet. Last night (after a glass or two of wine...) I decided to work on this a bit more and ended up doing leg presses with Cohen perched on top. A fun little work out!
Isn't Zuma just awesome with the foot stall? Looks completely effortless.

And that's what I was saying to Beanie! She teaches Payton to foot stall and she's got a new exercise to add in! She's already got him stalling on her back for pushups.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
And that's what I was saying to Beanie! She teaches Payton to foot stall and she's got a new exercise to add in! She's already got him stalling on her back for pushups.
STOP BRINGING MY WORKOUTS INTO THIS
YOU KNOW ME TOO WELL

*shakes fist*

Hee, I was doing half squats with Marsh last night. Squat down, load the dog, stand up butt first. GREAT way to stretch the calves, I could finally get my heels down! :rofl1:

Taqroy

I managed to stay out of this thread until yesterday. I blame you all.

[YOUTUBE]Y0esQw-P7Yg[/YOUTUBE]

I'm wearing a jacket because I enjoy having skin on my back. :p

I've kind of been in a training slump lately and I have to say that I REALLY missed working with my dogs. We need to get back in class.

SaraB

I really don't know anything about freestyle (other than the disc variety). I can imagine people do it, because why not?

Members online

No members online now.