Basenji/Catohoula Leopard?

hmontesjr

We picked up Quizzy from a local (Houston) rescue group. They called her a Catohoula/Italian greyhound.

I'm thinking Basenji/Catohoula. Any opinions? Reall cool dog....stoic would be the best way to describe her.

That's my Border Collie mix on the right.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
WOw good looking dog! I have met a few stoic basenjis! good description of personality.

Dekka

Just try me..
Hmm I don't see any basenji... I see them at the races so I have met and played with a few. I see pit .

Regardless what a cute dog!!

hmontesjr

Hmm I don't see any basenji... I see them at the races so I have met and played with a few. I see pit .

Regardless what a cute dog!!

Yeah, she has been great. She shows absolutely no aggression toward my BC Mix. Wouldn't a Pit/Catohoula mix look basically like a pitbull with spots?

More pics:

BostonBanker

She actually reminds me a lot of my friend's dog:

They best-guesses on her are generally some combination of pitbull, beagle, Australian shepherd, and Catahoula.

I must say, I don't see basenji in your girl at all; we have several locally that I've spent some time with. I think she is stunning, whatever she is! What a cool color!

Crowsfeet

facetious.
I don't really see any bully necessarily.. I feel like people are saying that because of the eyes and ears, but I really think those attributes are more hound/shepherdish.. her face/muzzle structure and coat doesn't say much for the Bully Breeds for me- not that it means she doesn't have any sort of Bully dna, it's possible, this is all just speculation/p-o. But that coat really says something for itself- anybody know what kind of doggy would carry around a merlish.. almost brindle-y coat with spots and black ticking? Shepherd with maybe some kind of hound.. ?

Pops2

NO leopard dogs are NOT hounds, not even close. i don't think there is any of the over bully dogs commonly referred to as pit bulls in this dog.
personality will tell you more than physical structure. GUESSING from structure alone i'd GUESS some sort of collie and terrier. and i'd have just as much chance of being right as anyone else.

BostonBanker

NO leopard dogs are NOT hounds, not even close.
If you are very bored some day, I'd be very interested in some more information on some of the southern hunting breeds; you seem very familiar with them! Mine is theoretically a mountain cur, but it can be hard to find good info out there.

Just a request;).

Pops2

do you want to talk about legit info or the wolfXspanish wardog BS?

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
Just to be different...Aussie x Whippet. I see sighthound about the head and ears/earset but not Basenji. She looks like she might even have some rounding over the back like a sighthound. How's she feel about chasing small and furry things?

hmontesjr

Just to be different...Aussie x Whippet. I see sighthound about the head and ears/earset but not Basenji. She looks like she might even have some rounding over the back like a sighthound. How's she feel about chasing small and furry things?

She is not to exited about chasing a thrown object, she does like to chase the BC Mix after she grabs the ball or toy....they both like to wrestle but it never escalates.

Whippet would make sense, she has a beautiful jogging pace, that looks to me like a basenji or whippet.

To me she runs like this:

YouTube - Basenji Joe

DaVinci

I don't kow but I do not see any pitbull in that dog. I don't see basenji either. I 'm thinking more on the shepherd lines with a bit of Aussie thrown in for good measure. There are lots of Merle genes out there.

Members online

No members online now.