panther biting

bal3wolf

I read the stickys about when he bites act like it hurts but that really does not make much differnce to him he trys to bite more lol. And when him and my 7 year old german shepard play hes always wanting to bite her and she wont tell him no usualy just gets up and leaves eventualy or i have to break them up. Wonder whats some more ideas to break him from biting ?

R

RedyreRottweilers

1) STOP interfering when your older dog tries to discipline him

2) read the stickies or do a search on teaching BITE INHIBITION to the puppy.

bal3wolf

Well thats the thing she wont she lets him bite her and whines looking at me to do somthing. Somtimes she will leave the room hes in but usualy just whines and looks at me to make him stop.

R

RedyreRottweilers

You asked for help.

STOP interfering in goings on with the adult dog and the puppy. The adult dog WILL handle it, and in the proper way, when it's time.

Do I remember correctly that you got this puppy at a very young age?

lizzybeth727

The best way for puppies to learn bite inhibition is to learn it from adult dogs. If your puppy pushes the adult too far, she will discipline him. If you constantly interfere, you are not giving her a chance to discipline.

Also, getting up and walking away is a good way to teach the puppy that biting is not a fun thing to do. He's biting to get attention, and leaving is the opposite of giving him what he wants, so that's fine.

antipunt1

Yea I had 'heck' with this issue, but what they say is totally true. Overtime [and it takes a LOT of times], the puppy will start to learn that biting = my master leaves. You have to make sure you're like..completely out of reach. Not just a couple steps away. Also make the 'absence' longer than a couple of seconds. Also be REALLY consistent. My puppy, over time, started to react to my leaving, and I got to shorten my 'absence times'

In addition I think they're right about the adult dogs. Over time the adult dog will teach the puppy proper behavior. my neighbor has an older dog that always kind of disciplined the younger dog as to what to do. I think your older dog might be the 'nicer' type, but I'm guessing that sooner or later they will 'burst', AKA growl or nip back. Though it sounds nasty, I think its a GOOD thing you have an older dog to teach the puppy this!

bal3wolf

Ya i been working with him and letting my german shepard do her thing hes getting better he wont bite most of the time unless he gets excited and he trys to then.

Members online

No members online now.