Pigs Feet

DanL

Neither Gunnar nor Daisy really care much for pigs feet so we don't usually buy them. One of my wife's co workers had a pig butchered recently and gave us a couple of the feet, so I gave one to Buzz for dinner last night. He loved it! He worked on that thing for over 3 hours, starting at one end and gradually chewing it down to a little nub which he finished. It was a lot of work for him but he was diligent and thorough!

maple

Queen of the Jungle
my two love raw pigs feet, and hocks....they are quiet for ages working on those things.
they also love chicken feet -sort of unnerving for the humans but the fuzzbutts love 'em.

a.baker

Mine love pig ears and do good with those. They love the pigs feet only if they are stuffed with something yummy otherwise they lose interest. All bones have to be flavored or stuffed or they care not for them.

DanL

I imagine they would, they are fatty. I fed it to him in his crate.

These were raw feet btw, not smoked or cooked.

Toller_08

I've given Dance pigs feet quite a few times, but I'm not sure she actually likes them. It takes her almost 2 hours to get through one, so I don't give them to her very often as she gets tired of sitting there chewing on them after a bit.

mrose_s

BusterLove
I have only been managed to find them once, it was just a random one in a bag od bones. Buster would have to freak out, guard it and not eat it, Mac wouldn't be able to eat it as well and Sophie wouldn't appreciate it so I gave it to Harry, he loved it.

DanL

I gave Daisy one last night as part of her dinner. She toyed around with it, then wanted to bring it inside, so I told her to go to her crate and closed the door. She toyed with it some more, then she "buried" it by nosing her blanket over it so the other dogs couldn't see it. At that point I took it from her and put it back in the fridge for later. Of course the entire way to the fridge she kept nosing at it like she wanted it, but I knew she didn't.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Mine chomp them down like crazy. I've given them several pigs' feet apiece for a meal, and they're gone within a few minutes. But then again, mine are like that with most of the raw they get. The only time they get the bury urge is if I give them too much.

I do wish that Zeus would like organs more, though. *sigh* Voodoo happily eats anything I give him. But Zeus will not eat organs unless I puree them and mix them with yogurt and other yummy stuff.

maple

Queen of the Jungle
I do wish that Zeus would like organs more, though. *sigh* Voodoo happily eats anything I give him. But Zeus will not eat organs unless I puree them and mix them with yogurt and other yummy stuff.
Have you tried offering it to him frozen? Bosco was like that too ~it took over a year before i could just hand him a little piece and he'd eat it out of my hand.
I also tricked him into thinking he was getting something "special" because i would offer it to him (a fingernail sized piece) when i was standing at the kitchen counter ~he thought he was getting something special that Kona wasn't :rolleyes: hooo-boy he's a funny dog.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Oooh, I like the frozen idea! I notice my boys love chomping on frozen meats. I'll give that a try. I've tried tricking Zeus into thinking a bit of organ meat is a treat, but he just spits it out and gives me this look: "Umm...NO."

DanL

This is about a foot long and 2lbs. I guess it's the foot and part of the shin.

maple

Queen of the Jungle
Oooh, I like the frozen idea! I notice my boys love chomping on frozen meats. I'll give that a try. I've tried tricking Zeus into thinking a bit of organ meat is a treat, but he just spits it out and gives me this look: "Umm...NO."

yes, a liversicle is what helped get some of it into his belleh. . . . but it was a good 14 or 16 months even before he'd take even a thumbnail sized piece from my hand. He's still not crazy about it, but if I give him some the morning after a fast day, he's all over it. :D

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I feed the whole feet all of the time... they are VERY popular around here! I also enjoy grossing my friends out with them. ; )

Since they are 2-3 lbs, I get my butcher to split them in half, down the middle. It usually takes them an hour to eat, because I feed them half-frozen.

Members online

No members online now.