How to give a pup proper exercise when raining?

ltk202

Recently it's been raining and my 9 month old dog (Shepard mix, medium size, about 60 pounds) doesn't go out much (only to use the restroom) because of it. I would want to take him for a walk, but I'm afraid that I might get him sick. We don't have much room for him to roam around, and he usually stays in the living room and the kitchen.

Recently though, he would be sleeping, and then around 1am he'll wake up, and decide that it's time to play. He gets really hyper (he starts to jump on me when I'm on the computer) and then he'll start to tug my shirt. He hasn't done these things since he was 4 months old, which is really worrying me. He then gets REALLY aggressive and gets scared of any movement I make (he does the bow pose, like when a dog stretches after sleeping). Although I'm no dog expert, I'm assuming it's because of the lack of exercise. I don't know what kind of activities we can do with him since it's been raining constently.

Any ideas or suggesstions (for any of the problems I've listed)?

Thanks.

josephine

He begs for your attention.Give him some chew toys or stuffed toys etc to play.Buy a chew ball and play with him "fetch" or "go get it",that's a good one i play that a lot with my girl.
Just give him your attention for a little.

Another good one for inside is tug 'o' war. Get one of those great heavy ropes with the knots, or you can even take an old sock and tie a knot in it. The only thing you have to watch out about with the sock is he may think he can play with just any sock . . . I've even stuck a tennis ball in the toe of a sock and tied a knot behind it. That seems to solve the problem of all-socks-are-mine. ;)

You might even try some seek and find games with him. Show him a treat or a favorite toy, then hide it. Let him see where you put it the first few times, then fake putting in several different places so that he actually has to hunt for it. You can do it with a favorite toy, too. This one is good as a change because German Shepherds really need mental exercise as well as physical exercise. If you don't supply it, they will invent their own games - and those might not be games you want to deal with! ;)

Oh, and the bow position, that's the one I jokingly call the "International Play Position." Have you noticed how all dogs do that as an invitation to play, whether it's with a human or another dog - or other animal?

josephine

Renee750il said:
Another good one for inside is tug 'o' war. Get one of those great heavy ropes with the knots, or you can even take an old sock and tie a knot in it. The only thing you have to watch out about with the sock is he may think he can play with just any sock . . . I've even stuck a tennis ball in the toe of a sock and tied a knot behind it. That seems to solve the problem of all-socks-are-mine. ;)

You might even try some seek and find games with him. Show him a treat or a favorite toy, then hide it. Let him see where you put it the first few times, then fake putting in several different places so that he actually has to hunt for it. You can do it with a favorite toy, too. This one is good as a change because German Shepherds really need mental exercise as well as physical exercise. If you don't supply it, they will invent their own games - and those might not be games you want to deal with! ;)

Oh, and the bow position, that's the one I jokingly call the "International Play Position." Have you noticed how all dogs do that as an invitation to play, whether it's with a human or another dog - or other animal?

haha...you remind me what Prita did yesterday!
While i was speaking on the phone she grabbed the sock i was wearing,take it off,i noticed it but i thought she would just play with it...after i finished the call and checked where she put that sock,there was no sock,only sock pieces lol :eek:
and she's so small!

Good ideas renee :) ,i forgot the "find it"!

Doberluv

Good heavens! Put on your rain coat and take him for a run. I have no choice with my young Doberman as he needs his exercise or he tends to bounce off the walls. He, my Lab and 2 short haired Chihuahuas all go for walks, rain or shine. It won't hurt your dog one bit. My Dobe and Chi's have very thin coats and I live in north Idaho. There's a ton of snow on the ground and it's cold. But when they're running, it keeps them warm. The smallest Chi and my Doberman have the shortest hair so if it gets below about 17 degrees, they have coats. But I am adamant about giving them all exercise.

Go for it. You and your dog will feel like a million bucks afterward. And if your dog is part Shepherd, he'll be just fine.

That's very true, Doberluv. Mine just have to get out when it rains, although Shiva doesn't particularly like it and has to be shoved out the door sometimes. (Now there's a workout!) Sometimes I think the part they like best is the rub down with a big bath towel afterwards.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
My pointer pup is up at 6 and ready to go! On rainy days we catch the ball, play hide and seek, and throw a bit of extra training in just for fun. It is a good day to teach double retrieves if you have a hallway throw the ball but don't let him go and then toss one in another direction. Let him pick that one up and block his way to the next until his gives you the first retrieve. He will enjoy learning (gain some control) and get exercise at the same time.

That sounds like a great game! I can't imagine doing that with Shiva though . . . just imagine . . . trying to block that force of nature once she's got a head of steam going :eek:

Doberluv

Trying to block my Doberman when he's running would be sheer foolishness on my part. LOL. It would be like trying to a Thoroughbred on the last furlong by stepping in front of it.

No...seriously, that does sound like a fun game. My little Chi mix could do that but so far my Dobmerman has no retrieving instincts what so ever. I need to actively teah him...just haven't worked much on that one.

Saje

Island dweller
First of all I wouldn't worry about your dog getting sick unless he is predisposed to something.

Where do you live? In our old apartment building there was an underground garage. And in the late evening I'd go down there and toss around the ball. I'd bounce it off the walls and he'd chase it all over. He really likes it. I just had to make sure he didn't lick anything and that there weren't any dangers. It was a pretty well-maintained area so I didn't worry too much plus it wasn't cold enough for people to use anti-freeze (one of the things I'm paranoid about).

Whatever you do your pup needs exercise. He'll be a bad puppy if he doesn't burn off steam. he'll get house bound and take it out on your coach/socks/furniture/anything within reach.

Are you sure its your pup your worried about? Or do you just not like the rain. ;) (That is a winky face to let you know I'm teasing)

Saje

Members online

No members online now.