Mordy! Offer any insight??

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I was told by several people that should ask for your advice. I would appreciate any insight that you (and others!) may have. Here is the low down...

Buddy is 9 months old. He is a large breed dog (we assume this, he is currently 71.5 pounds and keeps growing, he's getting sooo big). He got parvo when he was just three months old and now, as a result of that, he is susceptible to anything and everything as his immune system is weak.

I won't go through the list of things that he has had, but currently he is being treated for demodex mites and an infection. He needs a dip treatment every 2 weeks for the mites along with some pills and creme that the vet gave him. The vet suggested immunity boosters (supposively there is some medication that is supposed to be great for this) and a high quality food (we had planned on switching to Innova when he nears the end of his current kibble already).

These are things that have been suggested to us for Buddy's care:

-raw diet
-yogurt
-vitamin C

This is what Buddy currently gets:

-Lamb & Rice kibble
-natural balance lamb food roll
-Salmon Oil (http://www.grizzlypetproducts.com/salmon_oil/salmon_oil.html)
-once a day vitamins (for the life of me I can not remember which brand)
-Zuke's Hip Action Treats (http://www.zukes.com/shop/display_page.php?page=zukes_hip-action_about)
-once a week instead of kibble for dinner two turkey necks
-some meals supplemented with fresh fruits and/or veggies
-chicken broth sometimes when he's a good boy :)

He has been on the vitamin since after his ordeal with parvo and the same with the Zuke's, it was recommended due to the Glucosamine and Chondroitin.

Are there better supplements to give Buddy? Things to help improve his immunity? I can't count how many times we've been the vet since we've had him (only 6 months) it's that many. The poor boy always has something wrong with him, so if there is more we can do to help him, I'm all for it!

Any insight anyone?

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Aww, thanks Grammy. Your prayers for Buddy are good for me! :)

I just hope there is something we can do for the little guy, I hate him being sick all the time...

Herschel

Buddy'sParents said:
I was told by several people that should ask for your advice. I would appreciate any insight that you (and others!) may have. Here is the low down...

Buddy is 9 months old. He is a large breed dog (we assume this, he is currently 71.5 pounds and keeps growing, he's getting sooo big). He got parvo when he was just three months old and now, as a result of that, he is susceptible to anything and everything as his immune system is weak.

I won't go through the list of things that he has had, but currently he is being treated for demodex mites and an infection. He needs a dip treatment every 2 weeks for the mites along with some pills and creme that the vet gave him. The vet suggested immunity boosters (supposively there is some medication that is supposed to be great for this) and a high quality food (we had planned on switching to Innova when he nears the end of his current kibble already).

These are things that have been suggested to us for Buddy's care:

-raw diet
-yogurt
-vitamin C

This is what Buddy currently gets:

-Lamb & Rice kibble
-natural balance lamb food roll
-Salmon Oil (http://www.grizzlypetproducts.com/salmon_oil/salmon_oil.html)
-once a day vitamins (for the life of me I can not remember which brand)
-Zuke's Hip Action Treats (http://www.zukes.com/shop/display_page.php?page=zukes_hip-action_about)
-once a week instead of kibble for dinner two turkey necks
-some meals supplemented with fresh fruits and/or veggies
-chicken broth sometimes when he's a good boy :)

He has been on the vitamin since after his ordeal with parvo and the same with the Zuke's, it was recommended due to the Glucosamine and Chondroitin.

Are there better supplements to give Buddy? Things to help improve his immunity? I can't count how many times we've been the vet since we've had him (only 6 months) it's that many. The poor boy always has something wrong with him, so if there is more we can do to help him, I'm all for it!

Any insight anyone?
My two cents:

Are you feeding the "lamb and rice" kibble to be specific to a single protein source? If so, what brand? Some "lamb and rice" kibbles contain more than one source of protein so you need to be careful with that.

Unless your pup has had any dietary problems I'm not sure a raw diet is going to significantly improve his immune system (I'm sure others, including Mordy, will disagree). A probiotic like yogurt never hurts and most dogs seem to love it. I can't object to a small dollup mixed into a bowl of kibble.

I'm more qualified to deal with people than with animals, so on the vitamin C supplement I'm going to have to call a bluff. There have been a lot of studies showing that exessive vitamin C supplementation isn't necessarily beneficial at all. Most dog foods contain ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), so I think you're fine in that department.

You may seriously want to consider a Vitamin E supplement. Vitamin E has myriad antioxidant properties, but it is especially useful in terms of fatty acid oxidation. Long-chain fatty acid supplements (like the salmon oil that you supplement) have great effects on improving and maintaining health, but they also oxidize very quickly generating "free radicals" (superoxidases, etc.). Vitamin E acts a buffer against these and would most likely help you puppy's immune system a lot.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Herschel said:
You may seriously want to consider a Vitamin E supplement. Vitamin E has myriad antioxidant properties, but it is especially useful in terms of fatty acid oxidation. Long-chain fatty acid supplements (like the salmon oil that you supplement) have great effects on improving and maintaining health, but they also oxidize very quickly generating "free radicals" (superoxidases, etc.). Vitamin E acts a buffer against these and would most likely help you puppy's immune system a lot.

I have to admit, you lost me on the last paragraph... do we need to include vitamin E in addition to or instead of, salmon oil and in its plain form, pill, etc? I'm really lost when it comes to stuff like this, I really appreciate the advice!

Herschel

First, please check the multi-vitamin supplement that you are using. It may already contain a healthy dose of Vitamin E.

Second, find a natural Vitamin E supplement (not synthetic) and either pop open the pills into your puppy's food or administer the same way that you've been administering the multivitamin.

So yes, include Vitamin E. It will help you and your dog to get the most out of the salmon oil supplement.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
Please PM me with your email address. I'll have to ask a few more questions before I'll make any recommendations.

I'm a little busy today, so I won't be able to keep up with the forum much.

Members online

No members online now.