My little guy has pneumonia.

Rushed my rat Monkey into the emergency vet Sunday night and he got diagnosed with pneumonia. Common in rats and develops very rapidly. The vet said he has a 50/50 chance of surviving. He has refused to take his meds, eat, or drink. I keep trying to force it. He is now gasping for air with his mouth wide open and I am snowed in with over a foot of snow. The closest emergency vet clinic says they won't put to sleep a rat. I had such a close bond with this rat.

Doberluv

Awwww....this is so hard. I'm so sorry. I can't understand why they wouldn't put a rat to sleep. My kids had pet rats and as they aged, they developed tumors and they were getting sick. I took them to the humane society and they put them to sleep. If he doesn't look like he's going to pull out of it soon or they can't do something to ease his breathing, that is no good. I'm really, really sorry. I will send vibes though, that he will get through it.

Oh, Bre . . . that is so easy to do. I've come so close bottle feeding sick calves. (((((HUGS))))) It sounds like he was in a bad state, what happened may well have been a merciful accident for him.

Doberluv

You didn't make him choke hon. He was ready to go and he would have died anyhow it sounds like. His body just wasn't able to cough that stuff out. And it wouldn't have been able to cough out the fluids that were built up in his lungs from the pneumonia. What you did made no difference. It was his time and it is good that this didn't go on and on any longer. It sounds like he was having a hard time and now that's over. rip little guy. (((hugs)))

Thank you so much everyone. I miss him so much! And his little friend is very lonely now. I'm nervous to get another. My savings account is cleaned out!

Doberluv

Awww....I'm so sorry. It's such an adjustment. Give it time. And give your other little one a little extra attention and he'll adjust too. Maybe a little later, you'll be more comfortable getting another one.

Members online

No members online now.