Introducting a cat and a kitten?

Paige

Let it be
There is a new kitten in the house. My mom let my sister bring this little rascal home. She's really mellow and easy going. Bandit didn't even bat an eye lash at her but Pigface, the resident cat, doesn't seem too eager. Phionna, the kitten, walked up to her when we brought her home. Pig hissed at her. Phionna just waddled off and Pig stalked her around the house for about ten minutes. Pig spends most of her days outside as she likes to lounge on the picnic bench but she won't come inside. She'll sit on the outside of the window and stare at the kitten, eat quickly and scoot out. She isn't threatening just doesn't want anything to do with this new addition.

Is that normal? I'm worried poor Pig is never going to come in for cuddles anymore.

Pam111

Yep, it's normal. I've had it go either that the kitten will hiss and back off or the older cat will, but I have never had cats who did not get along within a week or two and end up being great friends.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Yup, I think that is pretty much normal. As long as there is no hard core fighting or intense growling sessions, you should be good to go. Even cats that hate other adult cats (like my mom's cat, Pheobe) typically accept a kitten without very many problems.

Paige

Let it be
Besides that one hiss there has been no noise, no obnoxious behavior. Just avoidance.

Members online

No members online now.