Dance's show update...

Toller_08

Some of you knew that Dance and I had our first show this weekend and wanted to know how it turned out.

We did our best and Dance was wonderful, for her. We came is last both yesterday and today though because (I think) her confidence wasn't as high as the other puppies'. She didn't look alert/happy enough and leaned too far into me when the judges went to touch her. She wasn't the only one to act a little shy though and she did improve a lot throughout the two days. This morning when we arrived she was super excited to be there, whereas yesterday she was timid of everything. .

There were 18 Tollers entered yesterday, and 17 today. That's a pretty large entry - usually when I go to shows (dog-less) there have been maybe a maximum of 10. Dance's sister won Best Puppy in Breed today. There were 6 entered in our class (Junior Puppy Female) both days. Overall we had a good weekend experience wise and hopefully by February (next show) we'll do a little better and maybe place. Just have to work up her confidence with strangers more!

I knew going there that Dance was probably going to be a little shy and wouldn't give as much expression as the judges like, and I was very proud of her regardless of the outcome. I only entered her for the experience, and actually getting a ribbon would have just been an added bonus. :)

No pictures though, sorry! I was too busy doing other things and totally forgot that I had even brought my camera. Anyway, not very exciting, but I just thought I'd post for those who were wondering how it went.

R

RedyreRottweilers

Good for you for realizing that winning is not everything at every show. :D Take some shows and go just to make sure your pup has a great experience, and never mind the results.

Feed her in the show building. Go and set up and crate her in the building, and spend the day there with her. During her exercise times, play fun games with her near the rings. Everything you can do to make that entire experience positive for her will help her in the future.

Best of luck to you and Dance in the future.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Ahhh...this is not too uncommon, don't sweat it. The best cure for this is lots of conformation classes (to get her used to being in a show setting), and a bit of maturity. I'm sure she's well socialized, so I didn't mention that... ;)

If you trust the people at your local pet supply store or feed store, whenever you go be sure to ask them to gently walk up to Dance, touch her face, then run their hands down her back. Stay calm and collected, don't make it a big deal but be sure to have a shwo lead on her so she associates that type of lead with being touched by strangers.

In my experience, early show training is best done with quiet praise - don't get too excited in your praise, or the dog will break stack and bounce around... not something you want a beginning show dog to do!

Also, walk her around the show site -get her used to the hustle and bustle, the sights sounds and smells. *politely* ask peopleif they would mind running their hands over her to get her used to it. I've done this with shy puppies, you put a blob of bait in front of their face and let them nibble, make sure it's the really good stuff so they could care less that they were being touched.

Keep working at it though - she'll come out of her shell eventually... :)

SarahFish

Wow that's awesome! Me and Lui had our first proper show a few weeks ago, and I loved the experience too, and Lui seemed pretty pleased with himself too, because of the attention people gave him if he won something.

I only entered her for the experience, and actually getting a ribbon would have just been an added bonus.
Exactly! It's so much fun! Lui's been in shows with his breeder before, but never with me, so I was learning off him! But we have been doing show training since June and that helped so much.
After the show it's so awesome, knowing that you worked together.
Doing your best is what counts! Me and Lui did that and it pays off!
I didn't take any photos, but I'm hoping the breeder will get sent the one's from the day and will forward them to me.
I'm going to try get pics next time, you have to as well! It's great to have someone else who's doing a first time show, be it for the dog or handler, too.

Toller_08

Thanks you guys. :)

Sizzle, that's what I've been doing with her for a while now, but just on her regular leash and collar. It didn't even occur to me that I should use her show lead. I'm going to have to switch conformation classes though I think because she's too used to the people there and treats it like she's at home. She needs to get used to being with another group and having a different instructor/"judge" touch her. She's completely fine until somebody goes to touch her from mid-back to tail. She's excellent for her head, teeth, etc. It's definitely a challenge for her though as she likes to take a few minutes getting to know somebdy before they can touch her, and she obviously can't do that at a show.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Heh I've had the opposite problem - Ronin hates the "judges' at conformation class and it takes a few go-aroudns befor ehe's comfortable with them. Real shows though... he's rock solid!

bubbatd

Hey , doing it is the important thing !!!! No one learns from winning ,,,, you posting this shows character and determination !!! Way to go !

Members online