Please ID this dog ... GSD??

kalija

I vote pure GSD with a winter coat. Our GSD has a coat that long and thick, more so in winter.

skyeboxer

He looks really PB or close to it to me. The only thing that makes me hesitant is that his muzzle looks a wee bit less pointed. More square. Where'd he come from anyway?

Delisay

Just revisiting this post to correct what appears to be wrong information so that rumours don't get perpetuated... I looked into the Shiloh Shepherd origins, believing from what's written here that it's a different breed from the GSD, but what I found is:

- The Shiloh is the GSD: It's the original German breed standard, being a large, strong, square-rumped dog. Current 'GSD's are a new version developed (devolved) over the last 20-30 years, being smaller and slopey-hipped.

- 'Shiloh' is the kennel name of the US breeder who went to the greatest lengths to re-create/preserve the original/ideal GSD there. Confusingly, this name was then adopted to denote the breed as if 'new'...whereas in fact it is the closest representative of the original GSD.

- Talk of the 'Wolf hybrid' refers to the very first foundations of most German herding dogs, including GSDs/Shilohs and other breeds, which were Wolf/mongrel crosses. Being from the same original stock as other GSDs, Shilohs have no more, and no less, Wolf in them. (Some breeders started messing with modern Wolf crosses which confused things, but this activity is unrelated to the breeding of true Shilohs/GSDs.)

- More of them now have the long coat just because the Shiloh kennel owner liked the longer coat.

So, on that count, it seems that 'Shiloh' Shepherds of sorts do exist in Australia; they just aren't called that. Breeders refer to them as 'traditional type' GSDs.

Del.

Last edited:

LionRun

To me, this dog looks like a long-coated, purebred GSD. The coat pattern may be the result of one parent donating a bi-color allele and the other parent donating a saddle patterend allele. The result would be a similar color pattern. I am not referring to the colors, black and red. I am referring only to the pattern.

DanL

Looks like a long haired GSD to me too, a nice looking dog.

The info posted that the Shiloh is the real GSD is WRONG. The breed standard for the GSD is a not a huge dog. Males should be up to 87lbs, and 24-26" at the shoulder. Females 22-24" and up to 77lbs. It's been this way since the beginning of the breed back in Germany. They were bred to be large enough to defend against man or predator, but small enough to be agile with flocks. The standard calls for "a medium sized working dog capable of prolonged work".

The people breeding the large sized GSD's are the ones who are not conforming to the breed standard. The line about them "breeding the old school style GSD" is propaganda. GSDs weighing 120lbs are way out of the breed standard. The one thing that has changed in the last 30 years is the sloping backs of the American line dogs, for the show ring. The size standard has not changed.

G

GSDluver4lyfe

Looks like a long haired GSD to me too, a nice looking dog.

The info posted that the Shiloh is the real GSD is WRONG. The breed standard for the GSD is a not a huge dog. Males should be up to 87lbs, and 24-26" at the shoulder. Females 22-24" and up to 77lbs. It's been this way since the beginning of the breed back in Germany. They were bred to be large enough to defend against man or predator, but small enough to be agile with flocks. The standard calls for "a medium sized working dog capable of prolonged work".

The people breeding the large sized GSD's are the ones who are not conforming to the breed standard. The line about them "breeding the old school style GSD" is propaganda. GSDs weighing 120lbs are way out of the breed standard. The one thing that has changed in the last 30 years is the sloping backs of the American line dogs, for the show ring. The size standard has not changed.
I cant believe people think a GSD was created to be a HUGE mastiff type breed. Ryot's father is 96lbs and is frowned upon (even though he is very thin and agile for his body type). What can a 130lbs dog do besides bark and get a bite only when the bad guys gets close enough, but the more weight the faster they tire. Von Stephanitz did NOT create a mastiff with fur. His whole purpose was to create an all around working dog. And his dieing wish was to ensure that his breed STAYED a working dog, and creating huge 150lb dogs and claming them as GSD's or a variety of a GSD is a disgrace to von Stephanitz's long and hard years of creating a working dog. People always have to ruin everything. :(

BTW: The dog in the pic looks like a PB plush or longcoat GSD.

fillyone

But please, call me Barb
- The Shiloh is the GSD: It's the original German breed standard, being a large, strong, square-rumped dog. Current 'GSD's are a new version developed (devolved) over the last 20-30 years, being smaller and slopey-hipped.

Bullpucky

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/pedigree/1208.html
Horand von Grafrath
SZ/1 01. Janúar 1895 (Does it get much more original than SZ1 and a birth date of January 1895?)

"Horand embodied for the enthusiasts of that time the fulfillment of their fondest dreams. He was big for that period, between 24" and 24 1/2", even for the present day a good medium size, with powerful frame, beautiful lines, and a nobly formed head. Clean and sinewy in build, the entire dog was one live wire. His character was on a par with his exterior qualities; marvelous in his obedient fidelity to his master, and above all else, the straightforward nature of a gentleman with a boundless zest for living. Although untrained in puppy hood, nevertheless obedient to the slightest nod when at this master's side; but when left to himself, the maddest rascal, the wildest ruffian and incorrigible provoker of strife. Never idle, always on the go; well disposed to harmless people, but no cringer, mad about children and always in love. What could not have been the accomplishments of such a dog if we, at that time, had only had military or police service training? His faults were the failings of his upbringing, never of his stock. He suffered from a superfluity of unemployed energy, for he was in Heaven when someone was occupied with him and was then the most tractable of dog."

~Captain von Stephanitz
Originator of the breed

Kiwii

TIGER.. Tiger.. tiger :)
I'm new. But he seems like a GSD.. but his snot is telling me hes a mix. It's not pointy :O

sonny

why do you think he is a mix??(was he free)anyway he looks like a Shiloh Shepherd as many already posted..But whatever he is hes a nice looking dog good luck with him!!!

boxerbaby

Are Shilohs ears smaller? I think the ears are too small and the muzzle to short/Square? The eyes look to have a different shape and aren't set right.
I think (and that doesn't mean much, LOL! I don't breed or have much (any) expirience to make a ecucated guess) it could be a wolf hybred/ shep? or one of those belgium shepherds or sheepdogs, mabey, see, what do I know?:lol-sign:

G

GSDluver4lyfe

Are Shilohs ears smaller? I think the ears are too small and the muzzle to short/Square? The eyes look to have a different shape and aren't set right.
I think (and that doesn't mean much, LOL! I don't breed or have much (any) expirience to make a ecucated guess) it could be a wolf hybred/ shep? or one of those belgium shepherds or sheepdogs, mabey, see, what do I know?:lol-sign:
Belgian Shepherds are SMALLER that GSD's and have smaller heads with longer muzzles. When it comes to the ears you have to take into account the size of the dog's head. I think he is an ill-proportioned dog. He was bred for size but certain features did not grow to fit the huge size of the dog. Just goes to show that they are NOT supposed to be huge dogs and you can definately notice something "not right" about the oversized GSD's.

boxerbaby

Belgian Shepherds are SMALLER that GSD's and have smaller heads with longer muzzles. When it comes to the ears you have to take into account the size of the dog's head. I think he is an ill-proportioned dog. He was bred for size but certain features did not grow to fit the huge size of the dog. Just goes to show that they are NOT supposed to be huge dogs and you can definately notice something "not right" about the oversized GSD's.
HMM. Interesting! Than-you for pointing out their differences. I wasn't sure about the belgians size copared to GSD. I am wrong though, it isn't a belgian or a wolf hybrid, right? It is an ill-portioned GSD?

Romy

Taxiderpy
He looks like a purebred GSD to me. The fact that his muzzle is squarish doesn't make him less of a shepherd, just out of standard, which isn't too surprising considering his long coat which is out of standard as well.

Dark eyes are preferred for GSD's, but that doesn't mean they all have them. Some of the dilute colors like blue and liver have light eyes. It might just be my monitor going out, but that dog doesn't look black and tan to me. It looks liver and tan. I see no chow, my cousin has three chow shepherd mixes from the same litter, they all have shorter rounder muzzles, black eyes (from the extra melanism in chow skin/eye pigment) and round looking faces.

G

GSDluver4lyfe

He looks like a purebred GSD to me. The fact that his muzzle is squarish doesn't make him less of a shepherd, just out of standard, which isn't too surprising considering his long coat which is out of standard as well.

Dark eyes are preferred for GSD's, but that doesn't mean they all have them. Some of the dilute colors like blue and liver have light eyes. It might just be my monitor going out, but that dog doesn't look black and tan to me. It looks liver and tan. I see no chow, my cousin has three chow shepherd mixes from the same litter, they all have shorter rounder muzzles, black eyes (from the extra melanism in chow skin/eye pigment) and round looking faces.
He looks black/tan to me.

Members online

No members online now.